Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2012

dougalt
Default 13 SPL on Friday the 13th!

After hovering comfortably at around 15 Strokes Per Length (25 yd. pool) for about two months, with sneaking in some 14's on "good" days, today things came together nicely and I did several lengths with 13 strokes.
As usual, regarding most TI breakthroughs, this was accomplished by RELAXING more, rather than working harder. When everything "clicks", the stretching, rolling, and "holding" the water feelings are just terrific.
But... elusive also! I naturally got a bit excited, and tried a little "harder" right after doing three 13's, and, sure enough, my stroke count jumped back up to 15 or 16.
I am just now starting to understand what it means to pull or push on the water so hard that the "grip" is lost - lots of turbulence through the fingers and wasted energy. The concept of "patient hands" really comes into play in order to "hold" the water instead of shoving it around.
Old 04-14-2012
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Awesome Doug! You got it, patient lead hand, streamline, relaxed but engaged - the word pull removed from the swimmers vocabulary. Holding streamline position like an arrow, ability to anchor (not pull), your balance has become very refined. Nice work! Happy Swimming! Stuart