Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2012

andyinnorway
Default 8 Identical Lengths - 6 second PB

Today I jumped in the pool for 30 minutes just to test the idea of only using a 1 stroke on the push off and to implement some of the advice I had had from Ian Mac and others on the importance of even pacing.

My best time for 200m free with pool start and open turns was until today 3.12 and this year until last week I had not been able to go under 3.20

I tried to think what the easiest tempo/SPL combo for me to do a 1.33 100 pace was and decided on 1.16/20SBPL(2,17,1)

I then focused on swimming exactly the same length everytime, push off, surface, touch the wall on the 17th stroke and then turn in 1. Some lengths were timed perfect, some were a bit off on the 9th stroke and the turn but I managed to get back on the beat by surface each time.

At the end of the 8 laps I looked at the pace clock and it read 3.06 exactly as it should have done according to the maths.

Just from one piece of advice on the forum I had taken 6s off my lifetime best and it had been less effort than normally going for a record.

Ian Mac I salute you. I am now going to use this method to go try to go through all last years PB times for each distance. You may just have a convert to ninja pacing here.
Old 03-27-2012
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Andy
The great thing about your successful experiment is how it demonstrates the virtue of our motto. 'Invite' speed; don't chase it.
Also that Speed is a Math(s) Problem. You solved the 3:06 200m problem.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 03-28-2012

andyinnorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post
Andy

Also that Speed is a Math(s) Problem. You solved the 3:06 200m problem.
I can do maths. Working with a less than scrupulous music agent for ten years you need to be good at mental arithmetic or his commissions get too generous :)))
Old 03-28-2012
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

There's a whole range of other valuable lessons in your 200m Personal Best experiment For instance it demonstrates what I wrote in my ebook about open water swimming Outside the Box that
1) One's first focus in pursuit of greater speed should be to improve 'sustainability' - i.e. to reduce or eliminate progressive loss of pace as you continue through a swim, and
2) "Wiring in" consistency in Stroke Length, then
3) Consistency in Stroke Rate AT your newly consistent Stroke Length.

You did this for 200m. To improve your PBs at each longer distance you track, apply the same principle.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 03-28-2012

andyinnorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post
There's a whole range of other valuable lessons in your 200m Personal Best experiment For instance it demonstrates what I wrote in my ebook about open water swimming Outside the Box that
1) One's first focus in pursuit of greater speed should be to improve 'sustainability' - i.e. to reduce or eliminate progressive loss of pace as you continue through a swim, and
2) "Wiring in" consistency in Stroke Length, then
3) Consistency in Stroke Rate AT your newly consistent Stroke Length.

You did this for 200m. To improve your PBs at each longer distance you track, apply the same principle.
Terry, would you recommend using the TT for longer sets e.g. 800 or is it maybe better to alternate to acquire natural pacing skills as Ian alludes to sometimes?

Now that I get the (maths) solution, I am confident I can accelerate pass all my 2011 times after my week off in the Alps. That will be a double achievement as all of those were timed in a my blue seventy helix in a 50m lido last summer. If I can reach a 1.20 100 and sub 6.00 400 you will have to give me a new title. (what comes between neophyte and ninja??)
Old 03-29-2012

igorner
Default Congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyinnorway View Post
Today I jumped in the pool for 30 minutes just to test the idea of only using a 1 stroke on the push off and to implement some of the advice I had had from Ian Mac and others on the importance of even pacing.

My best time for 200m free with pool start and open turns was until today 3.12 and this year until last week I had not been able to go under 3.20

I tried to think what the easiest tempo/SPL combo for me to do a 1.33 100 pace was and decided on 1.16/20SBPL(2,17,1)

I then focused on swimming exactly the same length everytime, push off, surface, touch the wall on the 17th stroke and then turn in 1. Some lengths were timed perfect, some were a bit off on the 9th stroke and the turn but I managed to get back on the beat by surface each time.

At the end of the 8 laps I looked at the pace clock and it read 3.06 exactly as it should have done according to the maths.

Just from one piece of advice on the forum I had taken 6s off my lifetime best and it had been less effort than normally going for a record.

Ian Mac I salute you. I am now going to use this method to go try to go through all last years PB times for each distance. You may just have a convert to ninja pacing here.
Sounds like a "red letter day" for you. perhaps you could refer me to the post from Ian Mac that got you started?