Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2012

kilgoretrout
Default Math Help

I have a sprint tri coming up and want to be in the top 10 at swimming. The best finishers usually are at the 6:30 mark for a 400 meter swim. I am planning on using the tempo trainer to help pace myself as I increase speed. But I am not very adept to using the tempo trainer to help increase my pace appropriately. I have the Finis TT Pro.

I believe my current stroke/sec is 1.31. I swim 91.44 meters (my pool is 33 yards and I converted the 100 yards to meters) in 1:50 with an SPL of 21. That would be 84 strokes every 110 seconds = 1.31 sec/stroke.

My current pace would be 481 seconds for the 400 meters. But I want to be at 390 seconds for it. That's a 23% increase in speed. So if I increase my stroke rate by 23%, I should hit that 6:30 mark, right? (I'm also taking it for granted that how far I go per stroke remains the same.)

And that would mean, setting my TT to 1 sec/stroke, right?

Or is this totally wrong?
Old 04-12-2012

rbs24h

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgoretrout View Post
(I'm also taking it for granted that how far I go per stroke remains the same.)
Just a hunch that this may end up being the problem.

Math is not how I would have done it, but it gets you there. I don't know how much time until the race, how hard you have been working and/or how much room you personally have to improve in that time. But ultimately, the goal TT setting is correct. Maybe try to drop to 1.2 for a bit, then 1.1 so you can try to keep that stroke length gradually and go to race with what you got. With wet suit and no turns, as long as I stay on course, my Open Water Tri Swim legs are faster pace than workouts.

Good luck though.
Old 04-12-2012

andyinnorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgoretrout View Post
I have a sprint tri coming up and want to be in the top 10 at swimming. The best finishers usually are at the 6:30 mark for a 400 meter swim. I am planning on using the tempo trainer to help pace myself as I increase speed. But I am not very adept to using the tempo trainer to help increase my pace appropriately. I have the Finis TT Pro.

I believe my current stroke/sec is 1.31. I swim 91.44 meters (my pool is 33 yards and I converted the 100 yards to meters) in 1:50 with an SPL of 21. That would be 84 strokes every 110 seconds = 1.31 sec/stroke.

My current pace would be 481 seconds for the 400 meters. But I want to be at 390 seconds for it. That's a 23% increase in speed. So if I increase my stroke rate by 23%, I should hit that 6:30 mark, right? (I'm also taking it for granted that how far I go per stroke remains the same.)

And that would mean, setting my TT to 1 sec/stroke, right?

Or is this totally wrong?
Hi Kilgoretrout,

If you swim 3 lengths in 110 seconds then that is 36.66 seconds per length

If your stroke rate is 1.31 and your SPL 21 that is 27.51 seconds

this means currently you are using 9.1 seconds for push off and turn? More likely is you are dropping some beats along the length, probably on the breathing side.

I would suggest the following as one of the easier 'maths solutions' for your target time

TT set at 1.2

1 stroke push off, 1 stroke breakout (if you are focused on open water swimming this is better for your training than a longer push off and helps you train good length on the first under water stroke)

22 SPL per length after

1 stroke turn

Total Stroke beats per length 25 x 1.2TT =30 seconds per length

Keep your pacing precise (don't try to get ahead in the first few lengths) and do some 4,3,2,1 sets whilst you get used to the pacing

Then check off the distances one by one in 3 length sets up to 12.

3 lengths time = 1.30
6 lengths time = 3.00
9 lengths time = 4.30
12 lengths time = 6.00

I would first keep my tt at 1.3 and practice eliminating the lost time on turns and dropped strokes.

3 lengths = 1.37.5
6 lengths = 3.15
9 lengths = 5.52.5
12 lengths = 6.30

once you have the 6.30 nailed then take TT down 0.01 and repeat until you reach your target of 1.2 and desired race pace.

good luck.