Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2015
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Hi bx,

You are welcome! It's not advert, but very useful information. One of my fav is discovering your "aquatic signature" and we are all different. This gives each swimmer a baseline from which to operate from or as Boomer notes where the water wants to put you given your body type. Your "signature" will change over time, especially kids that are still growing. The signature is really your center of mass vs center of buoyancy - unique signature. Boomer talks about the signature in the context of a pool, chlorinated pool (or lake). My signature is much different in the ocean, salt water, as opposed to the pool or a lake. We should all know our signature in both environments, provided you are swimming in both environments

A close second is moving the impulse generator from the low side (pulling arm) to the high side (recovery), or as Boomer notes, "throwing yourself" down the pool, not pushing back. Generating rhythmic momentum from the weight of recovery arm connected to the pelvis directing energy forward.

"Body line" and pressing down in front of the lungs (that lifts the hips). Often referred to as "press the buoy". Interesting and sometimes dismissive discussion in another thread (high head, low legs mystery) pressing on the front of the lungs is not hocus-pocus, neither magic nor mystery, only manipulating your body type with gravity to raise the hips up in an aquatic environment.

I've heard and read "swimming is not rocket science". That attitude is rather narrow in scope and simplistic in view, as well as limits both coach and swimmer of opportunities to improve. Understanding how each swimmer relates to the water and its forces will only help us become informed swimmers and coaches that continually improve throughout our lifetime.

Enjoy the Boomer series!

Stuart

Last edited by CoachStuartMcDougal : 11-06-2015 at 02:34 AM.
Old 11-06-2015

Zenturtle

Hey, I have sought these boomer tapes but only have seen the interview on swin world or something like that.
Can you still order them somewhere?
I like his mental shift to above water against under water although I dont want to deminish the imporatance of setting up a good paddle underwater.
The whole walking with your arms is a good image.
OOps now I am comsidered a single minded arm puller again probably...
Old 11-06-2015

Richardsk

Good Morning Zenturtle

Here's a link to the Boomer DVDs. They seem a bit expensive to me, although they may well be worth it.

http://www.championshipproductions.c..._MD-04884.html

I intend to experiment with the drill shown in this clip but I think it unlikely that I will find myself shooting forward like the young man in the video. I have tried something similar for backstroke. Maybe my 'aquatic signature' is not as good as his. (;-)
Old 11-06-2015

bx

Hey ZT, I'm not sure if you mean The Boomer Chronicles, which are his legendary videos from around 2000, and are probably rarer than hens' teeth to get hold of?

Hi Richardsk - yeah they are a bit pricey - but it's 3 hours of swimming gold (I hope!), and the same price as a couple of short bog-standard private lessons at my pool :)
Old 11-06-2015
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Lots of Boomer pearls, all pearls of swim wisdom, and a new language. "How do you swim faster and reduce workload? Swim at slower tempos and increase distance per cycle" ~Bill Boomer. Distance per cycle is how far the body moves forward in two strokes or one complete stroke cycle. I (TI) generally use/measure distance per stroke or stroke length which is how far the body moves on a single stroke. Both equivalent.

Stuart
Old 11-06-2015

Richardsk

Hi again, all

I tried this Boomer drill today, but without too much success. I ended up rotating too far and finding myself on my back. In the end I decided that I wasn't ready for it yet and instead did something similar in backstroke, which I found interesting. In fact, I think it's quite a well known backstroke drill aimed at coupling the recovery arm and catching and pulling arm.

bx you are probably right that compared to a session with an ordinary live coach the Boomer discs would be good value, I have certainly paid more than that amount for a session that was interesting but had no significant effect on my technique.

I shall return to the Boomer drill, perhaps with the assistance of some more standard TI-type drills involving weight shift and momentum.
Old 11-06-2015

Zenturtle

Thanks Richard. I meant the chronicles, but this 120 min small talk probably is also interesting.
Old 11-06-2015
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Another interesting piece with a lot more detail on aquatic creatures being pulled through the water by consequential low pressure zones (courtesy of Coach Oudejans, Netherlands): Suction Based Propulsion

Stuart
Old 11-07-2015

fooboo

Bill Boomer video changes a lot of the recovery part I thought I should do.
Instead of silent movement in front, relaxing forearm, here is rather active,
extended arm. Pendulum oscilates and gives momentum to linear move.
With that energy, body rotates. Swimmer on the video roles to the side more
than TI advised. His vertical forearm is sooner than I do. Looks like he anchors
with that the other way Ti anchors. He pulls more than just anchors?
So interesting video! So far, I'd avoid extended arm. Wonna hear opinions
of people on this forum.
Best regards all.
Old 11-07-2015

Zenturtle

A pretty fluid jellyfish robot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSTJVnf5nyA
In my view there is no suction without pressure in normal aquatic movement. Its just looking at one side of the coin instead of the other.
Is a propellor sucking water in or pushing water back?

I havent seen all the boomer videos, but I think this exercise is more towards learning the kayak timing instead of the typical TI catchup timing.
Thats why it reminded Richard on backstroke. Thats always kayak timing.

Talking about kayak timing...
For all the TI fans,
What do you think of this drill?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9emyWcqrLXY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47R995eM9B4 (first part without image)

Currently I find the stuff from these guys interesting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZPuVEeinZo

Cross country skiing is indeed very much like swimming.
Just like in swimming the biggest forward reaction force is generated halfway the movement of the foundation side.
In swimming that is when the underwaterarm is under the shoulder, during cross country skiing its when the leg is right under the hips.
Thats the position of maximal traction in both sports.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqo3yu-j890 (from the 8 min mark)

Last edited by Zenturtle : 11-07-2015 at 04:49 PM.