Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Outside the Box: Open Water Swimming
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2014

Talvi

Hi drtse, here's a video with Terry and Shinji both doing sub 60spm (about 0.95 TT) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFmnJnmahLw.

I'm obsessed with numbers today ... and it seems dyscalculia again unseated me earlier .. so, fwiw I am pretty confident that:

1. Steve West's 2.4m in 44:28 is a pace of 69.48 secs/100m (not 1.07!?!!), and he's covering about 1.44 m/sec.

2. From that FB clip, he's doing a stroke every 0.95 secs, so, with a 3 beep push off = 2.85 secs = say 4m, he's doing a SCM at between 14 and 15spl.

3. At 0.95 sec/strk his stroke length is about 1.37m, so if he's say 1.8m tall (just shy of 5'11") that's about a 75% conversion ... all maintained over a continuous swim of nearly 4,000m, in OW!!

4. He's taking 17:22 to do each 1500m .. Sun Yang does it in 14:31 .. in a pool!

I'm going to go lie down!

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 09-16-2014
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Excellent work Sherlock! It is quite incredible the speed Steve can swim for almost a 5k or longer with the metrics you laid out. In many circles his 62 spm would be considered "gliding" and that's bad? It's tough to argue with that success, elite swimmer or otherwise.

Long strokes!

Stuart