Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2014
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal
Default The Difference a TI Workshop Can Make

Every workshop poses challenges for TI Coaches, often from the Ironman triathletes that have accomplished swimming longer distances, using different swim program(s), come in very skeptical of TI - the workshop in Lake Forest, CA last weekend was no different.

One student, seasoned triathlete, struggled with the swim and wanted to get faster and not be exhausted at the end of swim leg in triathlon. A 1:40/100y pace was difficult for him to maintain longer than 100y, but he seemed at peace with 2:00/100y pace since this was sustainable for longer distances. His stroke count coming in was 20 strokes per length at a pace of 1:54/100y.

Day-2 of the workshop, he acquired balance, streamline, and stability. Pulling, kicking and turning his way through the water became artifacts of the past. He was now swimming comfortably, sustaining 15 strokes per length holding an easy 1:30-1:35 pace. More importantly, he discovered this was neither the end, nor a plateau - but only the beginning of a new swim journey with unlimited potential.

Here's the feedback/testimonial we received:

"First off let me say that the workshop was fantastic. I was very skeptical coming in because historically fast swimmer were not graceful swimmers. Sun Yang help to change that perception for me. I had honestly been following TI for many years but never stepped forward and I had a heck of a time trying to figure out drills. Drills without adequate instruction are simply unrealized potential with lots of frustration.

Have had the book for many a year and thought the hell with this, I cant get it. So as we were talking about when I fell towards Swim Smooth which though not same has some of the same foundation with less precision. The less precision was an easy draw for me 'cause I could do many of the things they recommended. But, I knew I was beating the water hard and causing drag but I was seeing some improvement, so that's the way it went. Needless to say you are my new best friend and have changed my view of swimming drastically and forever. Just cant say thank you enough..."

Thomas, San Diego, CA

Happy *Balanced* Laps!

Stuart
MindBodyAndSWIM
Old 02-22-2014
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Stuart I love hearing a great outcome like that! I was browsing another tri forum today and one poaster made the comment about how far he lived from anything that was more than a few hours drive one way.

When I took my weekend workshop, I drove 5 hours each way. It was well worth it, and I'm so happy that this guy found your workshop worth it as well.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 02-22-2014
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
Stuart I love hearing a great outcome like that! I was browsing another tri forum today and one poaster made the comment about how far he lived from anything that was more than a few hours drive one way.

When I took my weekend workshop, I drove 5 hours each way. It was well worth it, and I'm so happy that this guy found your workshop worth it as well.
Thanks Suzanne! This is what us TI Coaches do, and what we were trained to do. Interesting there was concern when we slowed down his stroke to make conscious corrections in balance and streamline - that he would turn into an "over glider". I noted "over glider" is more about clever marketing and creates the wrong perception that swimmers must turn arms/legs faster and/or pull sooner - all of which mask the source of the swimmers problem being underdeveloped or completely lacking in balance and streamline skills. Balance - Priority #1 - right ;-)

Cheers!

Stuart
MindBodyAndSwim
Old 02-22-2014

jafaremraf

Quote:

One day when I have some spare funds to do a workshop I will attend one because I have no doubt it would make a huge difference - and for me I would more than willingly travel the distance to get there.......the nearest coach to me is about 20 minutes drive!! How fortunate is that!
Old 02-22-2014

jafaremraf

Quote:

One day when I have some spare funds to do a workshop I will attend one because I have no doubt it would make a huge difference - and for me I would more than willingly travel the distance to get there.......the nearest coach to me is about 20 minutes drive!! How fortunate is that!
Old 02-24-2014
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafaremraf View Post
Hi jafaremraf! 20 min drive - no excuses, track down that TI Coach :-). It will be well worth the investment in time and money.

Happy Swimming!

Stuart
MindBodyAndSwim
Old 02-24-2014
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafaremraf View Post
I've had folks fly in for 2 days of lessons and I know that Stuart and Dave have as well and I'm sure many other coaches. Other athletes of mine will drive for 2 hours one way for a 1 hour lesson. It's worth the trip. :)

They usually make a day of it and visit the city. one teenager took the opportunity to visit the studio where they film a reality show about kids on a competitive dance team. abby somebody studio? It's a 2 minute drive from my pool!
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 02-24-2014

CharlesCouturier

Congratulations Stuart,

Speaking of Workshop, anyone has a clue as to whom is organizing the Montreal one? I think it's in March at Regina Assumpta?
Old 02-24-2014
Coach

CoachTraceyBaumann has disabled reputation

Thanks for posting this Stuart - and what great feedback. It is so great to get feedback from students who have been struggling for so long and they manage to go away feeling their unanswered questions have finally been answered. I too often have students fly in from other countries to work with me in my Swim Studio or indeed attend our workshops in London. How lucky we are to work in such a fantastic industry and meet so many great people and most importantly teach them to swim more efficiently and faster. :-)
Old 02-24-2014
Coach

CoachTraceyBaumann has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStuartMcDougal View Post
Every workshop poses challenges for TI Coaches, often from the Ironman triathletes that have accomplished swimming longer distances, using different swim program(s), come in very skeptical of TI - the workshop in Lake Forest, CA last weekend was no different.

One student, seasoned triathlete, struggled with the swim and wanted to get faster and not be exhausted at the end of swim leg in triathlon. A 1:40/100y pace was difficult for him to maintain longer than 100y, but he seemed at peace with 2:00/100y pace since this was sustainable for longer distances. His stroke count coming in was 20 strokes per length at a pace of 1:54/100y.

Day-2 of the workshop, he acquired balance, streamline, and stability. Pulling, kicking and turning his way through the water became artifacts of the past. He was now swimming comfortably, sustaining 15 strokes per length holding an easy 1:30-1:35 pace. More importantly, he discovered this was neither the end, nor a plateau - but only the beginning of a new swim journey with unlimited potential.

Here's the feedback/testimonial we received:

"First off let me say that the workshop was fantastic. I was very skeptical coming in because historically fast swimmer were not graceful swimmers. Sun Yang help to change that perception for me. I had honestly been following TI for many years but never stepped forward and I had a heck of a time trying to figure out drills. Drills without adequate instruction are simply unrealized potential with lots of frustration.

Have had the book for many a year and thought the hell with this, I cant get it. So as we were talking about when I fell towards Swim Smooth which though not same has some of the same foundation with less precision. The less precision was an easy draw for me 'cause I could do many of the things they recommended. But, I knew I was beating the water hard and causing drag but I was seeing some improvement, so that's the way it went. Needless to say you are my new best friend and have changed my view of swimming drastically and forever. Just cant say thank you enough..."

Thomas, San Diego, CA

Happy *Balanced* Laps!

Stuart
MindBodyAndSWIM
I think it is a very good point your student made about working from the book but not getting it right. For every one person that can work from a DVD or a book - I reckon there are another 100 who need assistance from a coach and video analysis.

How much do we love Sun Yang for showing the world that turnover AND stroke length are important and being VERY fast can be VERY graceful