Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2014

Talvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyinnorway View Post
Did you try having the skater's waltz play in your head? If you start it with the first spear and get to the end of the refrain then that's 16 strokes, then you only count the bit at the end. It also helps you smooth out the rhythm of the stroke I find.
Hi Andy, I love that waltz idea. I have been dipping into using it from time to time, also with a view to balancing out the stoke on the sides.

I think it is maybe time for it now as I'm mired in frustration at miscellaneous elements of my technique. I feel that any ease in the water has been lost looking for a performance to prove my techniqu, and it's all become a muddle. Going backwards doesn't seem possible either oddly as my bottom speed seems to have increased more than my top speed! Trying a drill the other day I was struck by how little power I get from my kicking alone. Somehow it feels more effective with the arms but why I don't know but I have no ease with kicking on its own and drills relying on it just become a battle.

Confused by the 16 strokes you write about though. I count 1, 2, 3, 2, 2, 3 to cover one complete cycle, that's a count of six - so was that a typo or ..?

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov