Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > O2 in H20: Breathing Skills
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2018

novaswimmer

I have not had the time to read all through this lengthy thread, so this is probably repeating someone but ....

Yes, you have a gift of having a body that is naturally balanced and horizontal in the water. I'm very surprised you have not been swimming for most of your life. I'm much less balanced naturally, so it has taken me a long time to learn to swim.

I think with practice, you will eventually find your air and go for miles! I got water in my mouth and nose for months and months until I finally figured it out. It seemed the air was always an inch too far out of reach.

What I would do is start small. Push off from the end of the pool. Keep your one arm out in front of you. As your other arm begins the pull, rotate to air. You might have to rotate your body at about a 45 degree angle, and then rotate your head even more until you see and find air. Stop and go back and try it again and again.

I notice you are bending your knees for the kick. That is causing drag and slowing you down. Try to kick from the hip with about half the knee bend, or less.
Old 04-16-2018
whoiscathy

Thank you, novawimmer :)
Old 04-27-2018
annja

Default Any solution?

Hello,

This is my first post. I've been lurking around for weeks but now I registered here specifically because of this thread: I have the same problem and I haven't found a solution yet!

I've tried to swim with a higher head position but it strained my neck too much. So far everything I tried was unsuccessful! My mouth is about 2-3cm under the surface when I turn to breath. My body type is quite similar to yours.

So, have you been able to learn to breath yet? Thank you!

Best regards,

Anna
Old 04-27-2018
whoiscathy

Hi, Anna!

Unfortunately, I haven't found a solution. I've given it my best every time I tried, and I tried countless times! All TI drills and other, not TI drills. To no avail.

I ended up concluding that I must have some fundamental issue, most likely really bad body position (way too deep in the water) that must have to do with my build (density, if you will). I can't change my build, so...

I have since then quit swimming. I've given up. I'm calling it a break, but most likely a permanent one... Not everyone can learn this and I've come to accept I'm one of the few that just can't.

Best of luck (better luck...) to you!
Sorry I couldn't be of much help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annja View Post
Hello,

This is my first post. I've been lurking around for weeks but now I registered here specifically because of this thread: I have the same problem and I haven't found a solution... (...)

So, have you been able to learn to breath yet? Thank you!

Best regards,

Anna
Old 04-27-2018
whoiscathy

I've read my latest comment and it sounded really negative. I didn't mean to imply in any way that you should give up if you have a similar body type.

I personally had enough and I've decided to put my energy into stuff where I actually stand a chance to get better, instead of fighting my genetics and/or physics (there's no air where my mouth is), and lose every time. However, I hope that you can get the help you need, perhaps from coaches on here.

I think it would be best if you made your own thread where you describe the problem and wait for advice. My thread was moved here from another one and it's a bit cropped (there's no clear beginning to it). Perhaps that's the reason it's gotten relatively few responses, or because it's in the O2 in H2O section, not in the Freestyle. If I were you I'd post in the Freestyle section of the forum and ask for advice. Again, best of luck!
Old 04-27-2018
Abdargush

whoiscathy

it is really sad that you quit swimming. From the videos that you posted, both your body type and natural ability to float are rather good, in my non-expert opinion, as well as your ability to swim.

After watching your videos many time, I think that your difficulty to breathe is linked to your genetics, but rather - if I may write it that way - to the confusion created by contradicting instructions and your impression while swimming, i.e. too strict observation of swimming dogma vs. simple physics. Sorry for that very harsh way of expressing it.

I am in no way a swimming champion nor a swimming coach. However, like you, I have gone through the same difficulty, though only on one side. After countless hours of noodling and self-analysis in the pool, I think that I could pinpoint the problem and the underlying misconception. I can breathe much easier on the weak, though when exhausted or unfocused, the difficulty tends to come back somehow.

O
Old 04-27-2018
Abdargush

Hit the "enter" key unwillingly and cannot edit :)

Of course, your moving (you wrote somewhere that you were moving due to professional reasons) might have nailed your decision to quit. Whatever you do, I am sure you will do it fine!

Farewell.
Old 04-27-2018
Abdargush

Arrgh, cannot edit!

"After watching your videos many time, I think that your difficulty to breathe is NOT linked to your genetics, but rather..."

Please read NOT linked.
Old 04-27-2018
Abdargush

"I can breathe much easier on the weak SIDE, though when exhausted or unfocused, the difficulty tends to come back somehow."

Please read weak SIDE.
Old 04-27-2018

WFEGb

Hello Cathy,

Quote:
Unfortunately, I haven't found a solution. I've given it my best every time I tried, and I tried countless times! All TI drills and other, not TI drills. To no avail.

I ended up concluding that I must have some fundamental issue, most likely really bad body position (way too deep in the water) that must have to do with my build (density, if you will). I can't change my build, so...

I have since then quit swimming. I've given up. I'm calling it a break, but most likely a permanent one... Not everyone can learn this and I've come to accept I'm one of the few that just can't.
Cathy, what can we do to get you back?

You know, Terry was convinced too, not having the right genetic combination to swim a good FS for almost 45 years, don't you?

Did you ever try to swim with "Interrupted Breathing" (breathing in a sweet point on the back)?

(Johnny forgive me) Did you ever consult a female TI-Coach? (Tracey Baumann will give two courses on 16th and 17th of June in Berlin, organized by James Harding)?

Did you ever try to just enjoy your work in the water, without the strong goal to learn breathing?

Wish you'll come back into the water and TI!

Best regards,
Werner