Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2011

Fran Lehen
Default Over head snorkels

I'm interested in any feedback from people who have used over head snorkels while doing the crawl: brands they think are good, those to avoid, pros and cons and and tips or suggestions.

I am trying to avoid turning my neck for breathing and still work on my form.

Fran Lehen
Old 06-29-2011

MarcusNZ
Default finis freestyle snorkel

I have a freestyle snorkel from Finis which I really like. Actually, I've hardly ever used it for technique work, and mainly take it out in the sea when I'm snorkeling or free diving.

For pool work, I'd suggest using a nose clip too so you don't get water going up your nose.
Old 06-29-2011

westyswoods
Default Freestyle Snorkle

I use a Finis center mount snorkel. The center mount is great for doing just what you want and also allows for extended periods of balance drills along with others. I believe there are two different types from Finis one has more of a sharp curve at tube end, not sure why the difference.

If you should purchase I suggest immediately start with normal inhalation through the snorkel and exhalation through nose. Reason being, you don't get a CO2 build up in snorkel and exhalation through nose keeps water out and helps set pattern when not using snorkel.

Great tools for practicing TI techniques.

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy
Old 06-29-2011

Mempho

I bought a Finis snorkel a few weeks ago, the one with the more-or-less straight tube, not the Freestyle one. I haven't found it as wonderful as I thought it would be, but I find it useful for some things.

Breathing with the snorkel is a bit of an art. You will probably need a nose clip at first. In the long run, follow Westy's advice -- breathe out through your nose and breathe in through your mouth. When you breathe in, you'll have to close your nasal passage. If you don't, you'll get a mouthful of water. I still do this occasionally and find myself drowning in the middle of the pool. I'm obviously a very slow learner.

Swimming with the snorkel is actually a good bit slower than without it, for me. I haven't figured out why. I find it most useful for kicking drills, somewhat useful for working on rotation and recovery, not so useful for whole stroke.

Just my experience, yours may be different.
Old 06-29-2011

Fran Lehen

The two articles below are the best explanation between the swimmer's snorkel and the free style snorkel that I've come across.

http://www.gizmag.com/swimmers-snork...aluation/9419/
http://www.gizmag.com/go/6131/

I just ordered the Finis Swimmer because of the information in them.

If I need a nose clip at the start (which I also ordered) that means I will be breathing in and out of my mouth--right?

But the object is to eventually not use the nose clip and master inhaling through my mouth and exhaling through my nose--is this also correct?

Mempho says: "When you breathe in, you'll have to close your nasal passage. If you don't, you'll get a mouthful of water."

How do you do that? Do you mean you just stay very conscious of not inhaling through the nose?

Westywoods says: "I suggest immediately start with normal inhalation through the snorkel and exhalation through nose. Reason being, you don't get a CO2 build up in snorkel and exhalation through nose keeps water out and helps set pattern when not using snorkel."

I hope I'll be able to do what Westywoods is suggesting!!!!
Old 06-29-2011

Mempho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Lehen View Post
If I need a nose clip at the start (which I also ordered) that means I will be breathing in and out of my mouth--right?
Yes, if you're using a nose clip you'll breathe in and out through your mouth and, of course, in and out through the snorkel. This means you'll be breathing in some stale air you just exhaled, but that's okay. After a brief adjustment period, you'll be able take off the nose clips and breathe in pure, fresh air through the snorkel, exhaling the old, bad air through your nose instead of exhaling into the snorkel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Lehen View Post
Mempho says: "When you breathe in, you'll have to close your nasal passage. If you don't, you'll get a mouthful of water."

How do you do that? Do you mean you just stay very conscious of not inhaling through the nose?
Well, that's the rub. We're usually unconscious of pinching off the airway through our nose. Try this: If you take a big breath and hold it, you'll be closing off the passage through your nose. Now if you keep your mouth closed and forcibly release some of the air through your nose, you'll notice (I hope) that you open some hidden valve inside your throat to let the air out your nose. You'll need to do this on every breath, opening your nose to breathe out, closing your nose while you breathe in. This little trick is what keeps water out of your throat while your throat's open and your head's under water. I guess it's automatic for some people, while others (like me) have to really concentrate to get it down. Hopefully, you'll find it child's play -- which in a sense is what it is.
Old 06-29-2011

sinker

I used a Finnis snorkel for quite a while when first learning to swim with TI. It worked very well for me with one major issue: When relaxing head into water and looking straight down, I would take on water. It was necessary to raise my head a little and look forward some to keep water out of snorkel. A bad habit that had to be overcome when I discontinued use of the snorkel, but it beat breathing water.
Old 09-07-2012

Talvi
Default ^_^

I've only just started using a Speedo snorkel (just used it the once so far). I didn't get the nose clip and was worried about not having one. I tried it out gently, standing in shallow water, and to my surprise found it was not a problem at all.

Try this exercise (out of the water, anywhere):
1. Mouth cllosed, breathe in and out through your nose. Feel the air as it passes through your nasal passages.
2. Then open your mouth, quite wide, like a fish, and breathe in and out. Again feel the air rushing in and out of your mouth.
3. Almost close your mouth and see if you can again feel the air coming in and out through your nose.

I think you will be able to feel in 2) that there is no movement of air through your nose when you breathe through your mouth, or I don't. In fact I find it very hard to breathe in through my nose if I am breathing in through my mouth.

I wonder, if you have a problem, it may simply be that you are not actually "committed" to breathing in through your mouth. If I open my mouth only a fraction, as in 3), and breath in a shallow manner through it, I find I begin to feel my nose coming into play again.

My suggestion is to practice the breathing through the snorkel in shallow water first until you get some confidence. Using it without the clip I find means I can breathe out normally through my nose while not having to worry about breathing in normally through my mouth. Fwiw.
Old 09-09-2012

truth1ness

Tried the Finis swimmer snorkel one today. Didn't go so well. My first issue was the water going up my nose, but I was breathing in and out through the snorkel. It worked ok unless I really exhaled hard, that created a vaccuum and water would get sucked in my nose even if I tried to prevent it. I find the snorkel requires you to not exhale completely which I didn't like.

The other thing was I had the same issue as sinker, I feel like if I put my head in the straight down portion I start getting water coming in. Maybe the swimmer model isn't long enough for TI's head down position? Does the freestyle model give larger water clearance? I even noticed that the snorkel itself had a good bit of bouancy, like it was trying to pull my head up. It's not much, but enough that I feel like I lose that relaxed 'hanging head' feeling.

Once the water got in I tried the hard exhale that you're supposed to do to get the water out. It got like 95% of the water out, but that still leaves a 5% bit of water that gets sucked in and out of my mouth each time I breath. I'm not sure how you're supposed to deal with that. I tried multiple exhales but couldn't get the last bit out.

Not sure if the snorkel thing is for me. Maybe I'll give it one more try. I bought it so I could slow down and work on streamlining underwater for longer lengths, but I'm thinking maybe fins might be the better tool for this.
Old 09-10-2012

Talvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by truth1ness View Post
Tried the Finis swimmer snorkel one today. ..
Not sure if the snorkel thing is for me. Maybe I'll give it one more try.
Have you tried it with a nose clip? Not that it'd make much difference to shipping water into it and not being able to get that out properly, but maybe the experience would be different enough to help ... ?