Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2015

Rajan
Default skate

Hi!

Can somebody please guide me that after pushing off the wall, to come in a skate position, during the start of first stroke, can we take the help of pushing arm to come in a skate position.

I am talking about the skate position when we push the wall off . After pushing the wall, do we kick down to come in the skate position and can we also take the help of pushing arm to come in a skate position

I am asking this because during second stroke we use gravity and weight shift, hip drive to come in a skate position. But how do come in a skate position during the start of first stroke. Do we take the help of pushing arm after catch to come in a skate position or do we use core to come in a skate position or can we kick down to come in a skate position.

Regards

Rajan Sharma
Old 08-05-2015

Richardsk

Hi Rajan

I believe it should look something like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz-46LZ6atQ
Old 08-05-2015

Zenturtle

Shinji uses quite some underwaterpull roll torque effect to get from flat to skate.
Recovery almost over the centerline here in full stroke, so roll torque of arm weight is small.

Going from flat to skate without arm above water during drill:
Kick (cant even see much kick here) with helical body tension-activation together with underwater pull
cause body to turn partially on its side.

At speed, slightly splayed legs (one up, one down) act as a very crude high pitch propellor, influencing roll even without leg movement. (try with fins if you like)
Right leg down leftt leg up rolls the body down at the left side for example.(even when the left leg isnt raised above water level)

Last edited by Zenturtle : 08-05-2015 at 09:42 PM.
Old 08-06-2015

Rajan

Thanks Richard and Zenturtle.

Today, I paid attention and did some experiment in the pool. Without kicking I started my first stroke. Unlike previous times, I did not take the help of my pushing arm much. I used my core strength to move to my side and surprisingly I got more comfortable, felt more buoyant.

I hope I am right. Any comment please ?

Core Strength I mean here: This kind of strength we use when we move from side to side keeping both arms are in front like in superman glide and one arm comes in the catch position. I have seen this drill on youtube but where this I don't remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardsk View Post
Hi Rajan

I believe it should look something like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz-46LZ6atQ

Last edited by Rajan : 08-06-2015 at 06:22 AM.