Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2011

TIJoe
Default How do you know you have a good catch?

Now we know all the theory about having a good catch -- high elbow, pulling over a barrel, early vertical forearm etc. However, when you are swimming, you might be thinkg of high elbow, EVF, but reality might be quite the opposite. So when you are swimming, what kind of feedback, if any, would tell you with some certainty that you just have had a good catch?
Old 09-20-2011

KatieK

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIJoe View Post
Now we know all the theory about having a good catch -- high elbow, pulling over a barrel, early vertical forearm etc. However, when you are swimming, you might be thinkg of high elbow, EVF, but reality might be quite the opposite. So when you are swimming, what kind of feedback, if any, would tell you with some certainty that you just have had a good catch?
Underwater video is extremely helpful for that.
Old 09-21-2011

TIJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieK View Post
Underwater video is extremely helpful for that.
Unfortunately, where I swim, no photos let alone underwater video. But in any case, what I was asking for is any kind of sensory feedback so I can judge whether I have a good catch while I am swimming.

For example, when you are rowing, you would sense whether you have a good "catch" from the feedback of the pressure of the oar. I think there should be something similar in swimming, but apparently, hand/arm pressure alone may not be the accurate feedback -- you might be pressing downwards which will create a lot of pressure on your hand/arm but it is not a good catch.
Old 09-21-2011

Donal F

This doesn't answer your question, but sometimes I close my fists for the first few pulls of each length to make sure I'm catching with the whole arm. I practiced with fistgloves until they fell apart, but now I find my stroke is balanced enough that I can fistswim without them.
Old 09-21-2011
Coach

CoachBobM

I would recommend swimming with fistgloves, forcing yourself to rely on your forearm for your catch. If you're not "reaching over the barrel" properly, you're likely to become very aware of this when you deprive yourself of the use of your hands.

Bob
Old 09-21-2011

TIJoe

Thanks Donal and Coach Bob. I agree, swimming with closed fist should give a much better feel whether one has a good catch.
Old 09-22-2011

westyswoods
Default Catch Improved.

I don't know how good my catch is, or if I am so called reaching over a barrel properly. I do know when I first started TI close to four years ago, fist drills were an absolute struggle, which is even an understatement. Floundering, sinking, breath starved, nonpropulsive are all appropriate.

Time has passed and I use closed fist regularly with a comfort zone which is gradually improving. Others will ask what I'm doing, my response is always the same, "Try it and you'll see".

Another key point in closed fist swimming is to make sure the they are relaxed and not clinched.

Still a long ways to go, just getting better.

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy
Old 09-22-2011

TomH

When my arm feels like it is slipping through the water, I know that my catch is not good. When I feel solid connection between my arm and the water, with my body slipping past my anchored arm, I know that my catch is good.
Old 09-22-2011

swimmermike

Hi all

Good thread. On this fist-gloves note: I have the same desperate sense when using them that Westy describes above. Are there fist-glove drills that are especially good for improving that efficacy with the forearm? (That is, in addition to "time passes...)?

Thanks

Mike
Old 09-23-2011

westyswoods
Default Reverse Fist Gloves

Swimmermike,

You may try working your way down from a full hand stroke to a relaxed closed fist.

Swim one length with normal stroke, next length fold thumb in so you only have four fingers for the catch. Work your way down to just using fist and then back up. Stop at whatever level and comfort zone you choose. Another option is to work only one side and get a feel for the differences.

I still am trying to find thick water on the forearm which is mentioned so often.
Maybe I have it but just don't know it, but to this point in time I have to say it has been elusive.

I am trying to find a video taken at Virgin Islands Open Water Clinic. There is a clip of Dave Barra (he is one of Terry's swim partners in NY)swimming with closed fist. Absolutely amazing how graceful he is and the propulsion generated. Years of practice and technique I am sure.

Hope this helps

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy