Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2009

jglaserr
Default Thoughts on a developing stroke

Hi everyone,

I've consistently practiced my TI swimming for a little more than three months now. Last week I moved from phase I to phase II. (Currently I'm drilling about 50% of my yards, mindfully swimming 25%, and Tempo training 25%). I recently wrangled a friend into video taping my stroke. Any feedback would be most welcome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nanwO_e5AOI

Thank you very much.
Old 12-01-2009

daveblt

I watched the video a few times and I really could not see much of any thing wrong with your stroke that I could mention .For a few months of TI practice it looks great !

Dave
Old 12-01-2009

Tridoit

Wow, so how long have you been swimming prior to those few months practicing TI? I'd love to look that relaxed while breathing from alternate sides. Nice job!
Old 12-01-2009

ewa.swimmer
Default Keep it up!

Very nice and relaxed with high elbows.

Something to try...not so much rotation with your shoulders. From looking at your kick it looks like the over rotation may be throwing off your hip thrust and you compensate with your kick. Sometimes you do a few quick kicks to get in balance sometimes your right leg goes out too far.

Good luck in your journey.
Old 12-01-2009

greg26

here is my humble opinion ;-)

really nice high elbow recovery , you look relaxed and leaning on your lungs..

What seems to me as your weak points are the following:

1) the moment you breath , you start overrotating and you seem to compensate that with a large scissor kick. don't spread those legs too much
2) I would say "Don't forget to push the water , don't just pull it..." , your pull phase is nice but ends a little too soon , your hand sometimes quit the water around your hips... a quick push phase (after the hips) can add a lot of power to your stroke..

Way to go jglaserr !
Old 12-01-2009

elk-tamer

It looks pretty good to me; very "quiet" in the water, especially compared to the guy in the next lane doing the beaver danger warning every stroke.

Is that a 25m pool? You seem to be flying.
Old 12-01-2009

mandll

Good job keeping it nice and quiet:)

There are several issues I think are all connected: Your arms are tense on the recovery, not relaxed because you are carrying them over the water instead of simply drawing your elbow forward and letting your forearm hang and enter relaxed. Your right hand in particular is headed left as you pass your head instead of forward because of this "carrying around" action of the forearm I think. It wants to cross over and is moving that way but you are restraining it (correctly) from going that way. But it would be better that it never head that way:) Your elbow is dropping on the recovery too I think. Working on the relaxed "marionette arm" that Terry talks about using zenswitch drills I think would help, focusing on wide tracks throughout the stroke, especially the recovery. The straight line recovery drill/swim would help I think.

Hope this helps.

mark
Old 12-03-2009

jglaserr

Thanks for all the helpful feedback. You all really helped me zero in on the elements of my stroke that currently need the most work, and I really appreciate it.

Again, thanks.

Joey

PS: I'm swimming in a 25 yd. pool. Right now I can only dream about swimming laps that quickly in a 25 m pool.
Old 12-03-2009

splashingpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandll View Post
Good job keeping it nice and quiet:)

There are several issues I think are all connected:

Your arms are tense on the recovery, not relaxed
because you are carrying them over the water
instead of simply drawing your elbow forward and your forearm
hang and enter relaxed.

Your right hand in particular is headed left as you pass your head
instead of forward because of this "carrying around" action of the forearm I think. It wants to cross over and is moving that way
but you are restraining it (correctly) from going that way.
But it would be better that it never head that way:)

Your elbow is dropping on the recovery too I think.

Working on the relaxed "marionette arm"
that Terry talks about using zen switch drills I think would help,
focusing on wide tracks throughout the stroke,
especially the recovery.

The straight line recovery drill/swim would help I think.

Hope this helps.

mark
Did we all see that?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nanwO_e5AOI

Last edited by splashingpat : 12-03-2009 at 06:34 AM.
Old 12-05-2009
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandll View Post
GWorking on the relaxed "marionette arm" that Terry talks about using zenswitch drills I think would help, focusing on wide tracks throughout the stroke, especially the recovery. The straight line recovery drill/swim would help I think.

Hope this helps.

mark
Joey
I concur with Mark. The overall grace and ease of your stroke is a particular strong point. The two most obvious Kaizen opportunities I see are
1) Move your Mail Slot entry a few millimeters forward - while keeping the elbow well above forearm on the entry. This will come from further practice of Lesson 4 of the Easy Freestyle drill progression, and
2) Draw a straighter line on a wider track as you move from exit to entry point on recovery. This will be aided by practice of Lesson Five focal points.

On the other hand I wouldn't focus on pushing back more; that would likely tire your tricep muscle without adding anything to propulsion. An early and relaxed release will help you with point #2.

I think you should only need about 20% or so of drill practice, with maybe 50% mindful swimming (stroke thoughts or focal points) and 30% Tempo Trainer practice.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story