Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2009

greg26
Default sinking when lungs are empty

Hi guys,

I've a litlle balance issue on wich I'd like to have your advice...

As I'm doing the skating drill , I feel very confortable, leaning on my lungs , light legs and hips with that floating sensation, exhaling (pure pleasure)... the moment I have to breathe I roll my head to the side gently but then... as my lungs are almost empty I start to sink... I don't have enough time to take a deep breath , I've to hurry up before that the water cover my face and mouth...

Is that a common issue ? Any advice ?

G.

have a great day !
Old 07-28-2009

jpanzer

This is a common issue Greg. That's one reason to do skating and then breath in sweet spot where you are nice and balanced. Once your balance improves you can do skating with quick bite of air. Letting all of the air out of your lungs certainly makes you less buoyant.

Incorporating a full exhale and breath is normally taught as you transition to whole stroke swimming (at least that's how I learned). Perhaps the thinking has changed but that's how it worked when I learned TI a couple of years ago.

Sinking due to exhale should be less of a problem when swimming whole stroke because of the increased propulsion from rotating, spearing and pulling.
Old 07-28-2009
TI Coach

CoachEricDeSanto

to reiterate what jpanzer said:
1. You can't float without air in your lungs. It is the air that keeps you up. I usually tell people to swim/drill between full and half-full lungs. Especially if you are lean, you can't let out more air than that.
2. You do have to learn how to inhale very quickly (even assuming your balance and rotation are perfect). If you consider that, on land, most people take roughly 1-3 seconds to inhale and in the water (assuming 1 second stroke rate) you have well under 0.5 seconds to get that air, this takes some practice. The slower speed of skating gives you an even smaller window for air. This is another one of those human things we must change to be fish.
Old 07-29-2009

ayesr
Default To breath or not to breath...

Breathing - be it in a drill or droing whole strokes - is in your control. You may either stand up to breath or just forgo that particular moment and move on to the next and breath in that phase.

As you feel air dissipating, one tends to race, rush and tense-up. This aggravates your situation further. It makes you more heavy.

Swimming, basically, is a mind game in more ways than one. There will always be instances wherein you will miss a breathing moment, but don't worry, you have the next one, which is probably just a few seconds away. You have to tell yourself - so what if I miss this in-hale, I have the next one. And if you are relaxed, loose, calm, your muscles won't be as heavy regardless of the lack of air. And this moment is just enough to get you to the next breathing turn.

End.
Old 07-29-2009

greg26

Thank you all for your detailled answers, this is going to help me a lot...I can't wait to try it..

I took a look at my book yesterday evening and indeed they also say that I should go back to sweet spot to breathe comfortably...then go back to skating position...

I use to try it that way:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Pamrey7#.../9/d59_4KkY9T4
http://www.youtube.com/user/Pamrey7#...10/Lv9yzi4xKWY

It seems so easy for her.. for me it looks a bit different ;-))

It is a fact also that I tend to make my lungs totally empty... I will work on the "full-half empty-full-..." pattern , and use a powerfull inhalation (I gonna work on it today at work ;-) )...

Thanks again for your support

Have a great day !

G.