Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2012

rbs24h

Bike and RUN training. Not bike and swim training. It's obviously getting late for me. Good night.
Old 02-21-2012

yearn2swim

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
=====================
Swim 1A (500yd total)
Warmup:
4 Pushoffs and glide. Relax and Clear your mind. Let the water support you.
4 1/2 Lengths Swim. Find the same relaxation as before. Deep cleansing breaths between 1/2 lengths. Continue to clear your mind
2 x 25 yd swim. Find the same sensations. Relax, Clear your Mind, Deep Breaths.

Set #1: 3 Rounds of 4 x 25
For each round choose one thought to swim with (Relax your head. Relax your hands. Streamline your legs)
=====================
A comment on the SG: if there are no instructions other than what I see here, then it's not at all clear that you stand up after you coast to a stop and do it again. For goal oriented types, it may help to spell out that the goal is to glide across the pool in <X starts.

Similar comment on the 1/2 length swims w/ FP: I believe you mean for the swimmers to go a 1/2 length on a breath, stand up, breathe and do it again with focus. It's not at all clear from the language.

If this all goes with some live class time, then obviously, it would make a lot more sense.

Mike
Old 02-21-2012
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by yearn2swim View Post
A comment on the SG: if there are no instructions other than what I see here, then it's not at all clear that you stand up after you coast to a stop and do it again. For goal oriented types, it may help to spell out that the goal is to glide across the pool in <X starts.

Similar comment on the 1/2 length swims w/ FP: I believe you mean for the swimmers to go a 1/2 length on a breath, stand up, breathe and do it again with focus. It's not at all clear from the language.

If this all goes with some live class time, then obviously, it would make a lot more sense.

Mike
Thanks again for the excellent feedback. IT may be impossible to do what I want to do in shorthand (except amongst many of you folk). but clarity is more important than brevity.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 02-21-2012
Coach

CoachBrian

Suzanne,

It will be very difficult to explain TI drills to someone that doesn't already know them. My training plans are marketed to people who are familiar with the drills, and even then I encourage them to buy a TI DVD for reference. My plans also include a lot of additional information about the purpose and execution of the drills.

For a generic plan written for people without exposure to TI, I would probably focus on whole stroke swimming with focal points and stroke counting, and a logical progression from short repeats to longer repeats. It will still be difficult to explain what a focal point like "hang your head" means without a paragraph or two and video or pictures. Your focal points will need to be very basic and easy to interpret.
Old 02-21-2012
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBrian View Post
Suzanne,

It will be very difficult to explain TI drills to someone that doesn't already know them. My training plans are marketed to people who are familiar with the drills, and even then I encourage them to buy a TI DVD for reference. My plans also include a lot of additional information about the purpose and execution of the drills.

For a generic plan written for people without exposure to TI, I would probably focus on whole stroke swimming with focal points and stroke counting, and a logical progression from short repeats to longer repeats. It will still be difficult to explain what a focal point like "hang your head" means without a paragraph or two and video or pictures. Your focal points will need to be very basic and easy to interpret.
Brian, that's the same conclusion I'm coming to (sadly)...but it does play out in real life. in December I hosted a 100x100 relay at my pool as a fundraiser with the tri club. I printed out "Stroke thoughts" and laminated them and put one at the end of each lane. There was at least one person (which made it worthewhile) who tried 3 of the stroke thoughts and said that it dramatically improved his swimmign just on that day. SO I tink I"ll follow in that vein for this immediate project. THanks!
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle