Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2011

eganov
Default FWIW - Keep them toes pointed!

We all know about the importance of keeping the legs relatively straight and pointing the toes during the kick. But with the implementation of a 2-beat kicks there's plenty of time when the leg is not kicking. During the quiet times I found myself relaxing my feet to the point that they were pointed down, acting like a drag chute to my forward progress. Once I concentrated on keeping the feet pointed, even when my legs weren't kicking, I could feel a bit more streamlining and my legs rose to the surface with less effort. Just something to keep in mind.
Old 05-18-2011

Fran Lehen
Default Question re feet and ankles

What's the thinking on the following: When extending the leg backward (from the hip) flex the foot and as the leg swings forward, point the toe.

Or is that flex unnecessary?
Fran

Last edited by Fran Lehen : 05-18-2011 at 09:56 PM.
Old 05-18-2011

Rincewind

Just curious how much effort does it take for various people to keep their toes pointed?

My ankles are very unflexible, so in order for me to even approach any kind of foot streamlining I have to contract my calf muscles really hard which is very tiring to maintain for any length of time.
Old 05-18-2011

naj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
Just curious how much effort does it take for various people to keep their toes pointed?

My ankles are very unflexible, so in order for me to even approach any kind of foot streamlining I have to contract my calf muscles really hard which is very tiring to maintain for any length of time.
You shouldn't be straining when pointing your toes. Remember to keep your body tone and streamlined but not tight. Tight is not good. Tone is great.
Old 05-18-2011

Rincewind

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
You shouldn't be straining when pointing your toes. Remember to keep your body tone and streamlined but not tight. Tight is not good. Tone is great.
Well if I dont strain then I get a lot of drag from a parachute effect, just like the 1st poster was saying.
Old 05-18-2011

tab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
One area I do not have to focus on, pointed toes come easily to me. So easy I find it difficult to get a good kick in Breaststroke, so my breaststroke kick is a wimpy narrow frog whip kind of kick. Kind of the opposite problem.

I have not practiced Karate in many years but recall the front kick with the ball of my foot easier as well.
Old 05-18-2011

eganov

Just sit in your chair and point your foot/toe. It shouldn't take much effort to do that. The point (no pun intended) is to keep your foot from being perpendicular to your shin. Anything other than that 90 degree angle is helpful. Don't worry about some super-athletic 180 degree flex.
Old 05-19-2011

Richardsk

Sitting on your feet yoga style is a good way to increase ankle flexibility, I think. But take it in easy stages: you don't want to do damage. I'm hoping I will eventually have a decent backstroke kick as a result.
Old 05-19-2011

Rincewind

If I point my toes while sitting on a chair I can get about 135 degrees. I've been doing the sitting on feet stretch every day before and after exercise. In fact I've been doing it ever since my cross country running days at college. (25 odd years?) But my ankles just dont get any more flexion =(.

I dont believe exceptional ankle flexibility is essential for the beginner level that I am at, but it does make balance drills a lot easier.

I am pretty much forced to wear fins or I dont move down the pool when kicking.
Old 05-19-2011

downhillswimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardsk View Post
Sitting on your feet yoga style is a good way to increase ankle flexibility, I think. But take it in easy stages: you don't want to do damage. I'm hoping I will eventually have a decent backstroke kick as a result.
My yoga teacher reminds me not to let the outside of the ankle touch the floor, and to make sure the body weight is on the heels, not the knees.