Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2016

nat23
Default Spear Switch Video- Nat

Attached is the link to the spear switch drill that I have been practicing. I'm looking forward to receiving comments and also feedback by the coaches if I should move to the next drill or practice this more:

https://youtu.be/_4lsKt8CH2I

Thanking all in anticipation

Regards
Nat
Old 06-20-2016
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Hi Nat,

Good execution of spear switch drill and have only watch from DVD.

A few things that will help refine your movement. 1. No need to roll to sweet spot to get air if in shallow pool. Do two to four switches, stand to breathe - repeat. 2. Head is high, probably looking at your hands after spear. Make sure to hang head between shoulders, head and spine in alignment. 3. The emphasis in this drill is the forward finish location with spearing arm connected with hip rotation. Try not to pull or avoid the impulse pull low side arm. Low side arm should gently flow back to your front pocket. 4. Spear a little deeper, avoid scooping toward the surface as you spear forward. Lastly, you are seeking stability with a busy kick. Turn off the kick a bit, just gentle flutter.

Just focus on one piece at a time (2-4 above) each time you execute this drill.

Enjoy the journey!

Stuart

Last edited by CoachStuartMcDougal : 06-20-2016 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-22-2016
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStuartMcDougal View Post
Hi Nat,

Good execution of spear switch drill and have only watch from DVD.

A few things that will help refine your movement. 1. No need to roll to sweet spot to get air if in shallow pool. Do two to four switches, stand to breathe - repeat. 2. Head is high, probably looking at your hands after spear. Make sure to hang head between shoulders, head and spine in alignment. 3. The emphasis in this drill is the forward finish location with spearing arm connected with hip rotation. Try not to pull or avoid the impulse pull low side arm. Low side arm should gently flow back to your front pocket. 4. Spear a little deeper, avoid scooping toward the surface as you spear forward. Lastly, you are seeking stability with a busy kick. Turn off the kick a bit, just gentle flutter.

Just focus on one piece at a time (2-4 above) each time you execute this drill.

Enjoy the journey!

Stuart
Agree with everything stuart wrote here. if you are using 10/10 energy to spear to your target, dial it back to 9/10 energy. What I see going on is that hte low side arm (the arm that is stroking...the arm that was just at the spearing position) is yanked backward quickly through the water providing no benefit other then getting to the hip quickly.

backing off on your spearing energy will let that stroking arm anchor more in the water and you'll actually move forward as that spearing arm arrives at it's target.

Also with the kick, if you freeze the video, it' looks like you're sitting on a stool, kicking with your feet form knees down. Very energy consuming and probably why you need air every 2 switches. Your waist should be tall as if you were standing (when you stand you don't look like you'r esitting on a stool unless you are actually sitting down). Tall through the waist and gentle kick from the hips (gluteus muscle). watch your thigh where the green stripes are...its hardly moving at all makign the legs from the knee down very busy.

you ave doing a lot of things well though! Your timing of the spear is good and that is a major focus of this drill. You are also doing sweet spot breath well and not panicking or jerking your head to air. You look comfortable.

See if you can slow everything down but maintain the good timing, lengthen your waist and let your green stripes move a little more. This creates a much more effective leg movement for this drill.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 06-22-2016

nat23

Thankyou coaches for the feedback. I plan to implement those and hope to improve.

After seeing my own video, I think my stake position is not enough (the angle of the body to the surface of water is small) this preventing my hip from coming into action and pushing me forward.

Is that a fair assessment?

Regards
Nat

Last edited by nat23 : 06-22-2016 at 07:33 PM.
Old 06-22-2016
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat23 View Post
Thankyou coaches for the feedback. I plan to implement those and hope to improve.

After seeing my own video, I think my stake position is not enough (the angle of the body to the surface of water is small) this preventing my hip from coming into action and pushing me forward.

Is that a fair assessment?

Regards
Nat
No, it's enough. the reason it feels like it's not coming itno action is because the kick itself is "busy". lots of movement, but minimal help for your drill. part of this is just human nature. Watch this video...terry is doing small kicks but notice how there is a small pause int he kick before his switch, which helps anchor his legs so the hips can help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdQrXBzm7yI
Maybe get yourself a swimmers snorkel as well?
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 06-26-2016

nat23
Default Spear Switch - Nat _ Part 2

coaches

Here is another video, I have tried to incorporate the suggestions. Please provide your comments

https://youtu.be/_cS-TidNWCM

Regards
Nat
Old 06-26-2016
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Hi Nat,

Looks much better, you are focusing on arm moving forward and not pulling. Try to make the moves a bit more subtle.

Don't force the spear from the shoulder, let it happen with hip rotation. I don't like "spear" as much as I do "slide" forward. Spear has more of an aggressive perception. Think "slide forward" to forward target.

You have some lateral (left/right) twist in head and spine as you spear forward - largely due to driving arm forward from shoulder. Keep your head dead still and in alignment with spine, allow hip to drive arm forward as you make each switch - this will help/allow an easy pivot/rotation about your spine, not a forced movement from shoulder. Think you have a pole through head,spine,hips - rotating about that pole. Focus on minimum and smooth movements on each switch as you slide forward.

Keep up the good work!

Stuart
Old 06-26-2016

sclim

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat23 View Post
coaches

Here is another video, I have tried to incorporate the suggestions. Please provide your comments

https://youtu.be/_cS-TidNWCM

Regards
Nat
Also, you have successfully improved on your frantic kick to a much more efficient relaxed subtle flick of your lower limbs that remain higher than before, all on the strength of some advice within the very next pool session. Most beginners take a long time to fix this part.
Old 06-27-2016

Zenturtle

Why not fist imgrain some internal core connecdtion between shoulders and kick-hips on dryland before trying in the water with all the breathing difficulties/

Lie face down on a mattrass, firm pillow under knees. Arms next to body.
Lift right leg up, kick left leg softly down (straight legs).. slide right shoulder forward and left shoulder backward. The pressure is on the downkicking knee and the diagonally opposite shoulder, but better to focus on the lifting leg and same side forward extending shouldercomplex.
Try to keep rotation around an axis while sliding the shoulders forward and backward. Hold your head motionless or only allow it to rotate around that axis.
Press your hips to the mattras while doing this exercise to keep the pelvis level.
Feel the stretch in the hip flexors while doing this and the better connection between kick and trunc.
You can add breathing movements by rotatiing the head at the proper time.
Also shifting between 6BK and 2Bk is possible.Left body position, 2,3, Right bodyposition,2,3, etc.
Its a little dance you should learn and once mastered on dryland it pops back to your bodys memory in the water.

It will feel strenous and tiring in the beginning but its the foundation of your stroke and it will get easier.

Last edited by Zenturtle : 06-27-2016 at 06:05 AM.
Old 06-28-2016

nat23

[quote=Zenturtle;59710]
.Left body position, 2,3, Right bodyposition,2,3, etc.
QUOTE]

Could you please elaborate on this?

Thanks
Nat

Last edited by nat23 : 06-28-2016 at 06:37 PM.