Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2016

Zenturtle

Is the description of the dryland 2Bk together with shouldermovement clear?
If so , for mimicking the 6Bk you need to add 2 kicks inbetween the mainkicks.
Look at the hips and bodyrotation from this girl when she swims slow.
Very clear main kicks that go together with the hips-shoulder bodyrotation and following inbetween kicks.
The inbetween kicks follow like a ball that bounces on the table. Main impact and 2 bounces, other leg main impact and rotation and 2 bounces in that rotated bodyposition, etc etc
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m38s3opy78...ek%20Kertu.mp4
its not Ti style, but the underlying internal bodyconnections are very similar.
For a 2Bk the inbetween kicks are not used.
Dont get distracted by the arms movements. Look what movements happen between shoulders and knees.

Last edited by Zenturtle : 06-29-2016 at 12:11 AM.
Old 07-01-2016

CoachKevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat23 View Post
coaches

Here is another video, I have tried to incorporate the suggestions. Please provide your comments

https://youtu.be/_cS-TidNWCM

Regards
Nat
Hey Nat.
It's obvious you're a "thinker" by the way you immediately incorporated 2 suggested changes: slow down your kick; stop-and-stand-up rather than use SweetSpot to breathe. Thing is, the result is the same... you're not moving forward because of the switch, but only minimally because of your kick. While you're doing a lot things correctly, without connecting them at the right time you don't get the desired outcome. Here's some of my 2 cents worth:
1) Only do ONE switch at a time until you figure it out more. Get a good pushoff with BOTH feet (you're only using one) to generate momentum. Use that momentum to set up & do ONE good switch rather than trying to do multiple switches. When you get better at one (minimum 10 correct repetitions) move on to two. Getting better means you do the right things at the right times so when you switch you maintain your momentum from the pushoff. You can/should do this without kicking if you're moving well enough from the pushoff, so your legs won't be a distraction.
2) I agree with Stuart about your head. It's a little all-over-the-place, but it's never neutral. If you can't feel it, try putting something round (like a tennis ball, grapefruit, etc.) between your chin & clavicle to keep your head neutral. If it falls out when you change position you're bending your neck.
3) Do a lot of (flutter) kick practice! Here's a good video about vertical kicking, which is a good way to practice because breathing & propulsion aren't an issue. You'll see your kick in there, but getting your kick symmetrical, rhythmic & (relatively) bigger will make it more efficient first, then more productive. It's not shown on the video, but while you're figuring VK out hold on to the wall (in the deep end if they'll let you) or draping your arms over the lane line if that's possible. This will provide support & keep your head above water.
4) Don't know if you're already doing this, but add some strokes at the end of the drill. 3-4 is enough to be able to maintain concentration and tell if you're thinking about AND doing the focal point.
5) Keep it simple! Don't be afraid to go back to practice focal points - kick, head, deep relaxed hand in more basic ways/drills. Nothing wrong with moving forward to gauge your progress, but moving forward before you're ready just because there's another drill to do isn't necessarily the best thing to do. I also think your 2 beat kick should wait until you've sorted out some of the other things.
You're definitely headed in the right direction!
Good luck...
Dubai, UAE
Old 07-09-2016

nat23

Thankyou coaches for the feedback from last time.

Here is another video , a very short though. I guess it could be used more to critique kicking than Spear Switch given the angle from which it was made.

Here are some of my findings:

1) I have noticed lately that I'm more buoyant than I used to be. Don't know why. Maybe because of my head position or relaxed kick or controlled breathing.
2) I cover more distance during the drill than I used to. One of the things I have been doing is that I have been using my non-spearing hand to pull easily. Should I be doing that?
3) Slowing down the kicking has helped with controlled breathing which allows me to focus on the drill rather than worrying about air.
4) I have tried to "slide" (as coach Stuart has mentioned) my arm instead of spearing aggressively from the shoulder. I don't know if I have managed to get my hip involved enough but I do know for sure that I don't spear from the shoulder aggressively.

Please comment on my above findings and also on video below.

from the video it looks like (not sure) I'm kicking from knee but in the pool I don't get the feeling that I'm kicking from the knee. Please advise

https://youtu.be/yNYYBz6akgg

Any other comments will also be appreciated.

Last edited by nat23 : 07-09-2016 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-11-2016

nat23
Default Bump

Requesting response
Old 07-11-2016

Zenturtle

Can you bring the knee behind the front-backplane in the water without making a hollow low back?
Your upperlegs are making an angle with your horizontal bodyline. You are sitting in the water.
They should be more inline with your upperbody.
Yes, you are kicking too much from the knee.
Check your hip mobility, do the hip flexor test and see where you need improvement there.
You should feel the back, glutes and stomach when you kick. Try a straightleg kick on dryland lying on you stomach and on your back. Thats what you also should be feeling in the water, but a lot less intense.

Last edited by Zenturtle : 07-11-2016 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-11-2016
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Hi Nat,

Looks much more smooth up front, and your hips are staying high. You have about 4+ kicks rotating from side to side. Try to feel more of a snap rotating to opposite edge, connecting the forward spearing arm with a single downward kick from opposite foot, i.e. as you spear forward with right arm, a single downward kick (or toe flick) with left foot. This brings in the kick timed with rotation in drill mode as well. A quick transition rotating from one edge to the other edge using a single kick creates the diagonal connection (left arm-right leg; right arm-left leg) through core.

Stick with standing up to breathe and not roll to sweet spot if in a shallow pool. One or two spear-switch repeats and stand to breathe. And as Coach Kevin noted, do singles - one switch only, before doing multiple switches.

Although spear-switch is an excellent drill that rehearses whole body connection and movement, driving (or sliding) high side arm to forward target - don't get stuck in drill-only mode, it's not about perfecting the drill. Do enough to get the feeling of sending the arm forward from the hip while remaining stable/tone in the middle of body (core stability) - then integrate motion and feeling into freestyle. I.e. do 25y spear-switch repeats, then 3x50 freestyle with focus hitting forward target feeling more of hip connection, i.e. high hip drives recovery arm/hand to forward target.

Stuart
Old 07-18-2016

nat23
Default Spear Switch Part 4

Coaches/Forum Members

I have tried to incorporate 2BK in the spear switch drill:

https://youtu.be/BTp70-4AOB0

I think I'm still kicking from the knee and suggestions to fix it.

Regards
Nat
Old 07-18-2016

Zenturtle

You have gone from an uncoordinated flutterkick to an coordinated legs -arms movement.
Thats a good thing, but the detail action on itself is a big kneekick, like you noticed.
I am no coach and I dont know exactly if its a good thing ro focus on the good thngs now or if its better to avoid the kneekick and the simultanuous ripping shoulder spearaction.
The last combination is a type of connection that is seen very often in TI swimmers and it seems difficult to smoothen out once it is ingrained.
A TI coach would say that he is happy with the connection and that everything will smooth out later on.
From what I see on youtube I have my doubts about this opinion, but what could be a better way to proceed?

It looks you are trying very hard. A bit too hard perhaps. Relax a bit. Rome isnt build in one day.
Cant you get a snorkel to get more realxed from a floating base position and start with making small connected movements, but better ones, and try to exagerate these right detail movements later to ingrain them?
Maybe this is a good starting point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXMYGAgppRo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBeKxMpEORM

Try to focus on rotating the body first, not using big kneebends but moving the whole leg as a big lever.
The spearing action is more a forward catliike stretchout extension from that rotated floating body as an agressive forward stabbing movement from the shoulder.
Stretch out to one side, and then slowly stretch out to the other side.

And the dryland internal connected actions like I suggested. thats akmost the same as demontrated, but a forward rearward shoulder extension added to the rotating movement. Pillow under knees makes kneekicking more difficult and the general kicking movement easier.

Next is the idea of front quadrant timing.Arms moving independant from each other. If one spears forward you dont want to connect that movement with the other one ripping back.
A more catchup armtiming can also be trained on dryland first. One arm stays connected to a your firm bodyside, the other one moves relaxed from rear to the front.
You have a long road ahead. Dont try to get too fixated about the outcome/immediate results and try to enjoy the learning journey.

you can tape all your steps and get free online coaching from the forum for what its worth. better than nothing probably.
I am afraid your legs sink if you try to do what the female coach is demonstrating.
I would say, get the internal cloxk running with help form a pull buoy if thats the case now and get rid of it when tha basic movement is right and automatic, but a TI coach would possibly disagree here.

Last edited by Zenturtle : 07-19-2016 at 12:06 AM.
Old 07-24-2016

nat23

Thanks Zenturtle, I found the video of Master Coach Celeste and Master Coach Erickson useful. I did practice the dry land exercise shown by Coach Celeste. While doing it , I found my core getting involved but also felt pressure on my lower back. Is that normal.

I would appreciate if any TI coaches could comment on the video and the question

Regards
Nat

Last edited by nat23 : 07-24-2016 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-25-2016
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Hi Nat,

In spear-switch drill it's not important to have a 2bk, but rather only feel the kick (down) tied with rotation as opposite arm slides forward. Hold a gentle flutter kick in skate to allow enough time between switches to swing recovery arm to forward position before initiating the switch. No reason to make this a 2bk drill - that's not the intention of spear-switch. Just connect a single downward kick when switching/rotating with hip driving recovery arm to forward extension.

Stuart