Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2015

Danny

Andy's comments raise a very murky subject for me. That is: to what extent is efficient freestyle an undulatory motion and to what extent is it a gliding motion? You can probably break both freestyle and breast into an undulatory phase followed by a glide phase. In freestyle, the undulation occurs around the timing of the kick and catch. I think we all have a picture of what it means to glide efficiently, but how do you sense the efficiency of the undulatory phase?The only answer that occurs to me is the sense of getting a good grip on the water. And of course the idea of anchoring and moving past your hand with your body...
Old 11-28-2015

Danny

Not sure, but my sense is that it may be the undulatory phase of my freestyle that I first start to lose when I fatigue.
Old 11-29-2015

andyinnorway

Zen

agree 100% about too long strokes in terms of speed/effort - under 8 stroke breaststroke for me would be a dolphin in the zoo type swim - forward floating if you like.
Old 11-30-2015

sclim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenturtle View Post
Maybe taking a few strong beers before a swim can help some of us serious overthinkers once in a while.
LOL I should try that!
Old 12-01-2015

jenson1a

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.sciame View Post
Or they get less and less oxygen and more and more CO2? What happens if you stop and take just a few breaths and then start again? If your first length is brilliant again (for instance you shave 1SPL) in spite of being tired (your muscles are tired and can't recover in a few seconds), it's a breathing issue, even if you don't feel short of breath.

Salvo
I think that Salvo hit the nail on the head. If your breathing skills are lacking, it seems that everything goes to pot--usually sooner than later. When I get tired, I notice that my exhale comes a lot more forcefully, my spl goes up, and I feel tension in the neck. Breathing seems to be the hardest skill to really master. Lacking in this skill makes everything harder. At least that is my take on this topic.

Sherry
Old 12-02-2015

Zenturtle

Maybe wodka is even better Sclim
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n2_WNJWCT8
Old 12-02-2015

sclim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenturtle View Post
Maybe wodka is even better Sclim
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n2_WNJWCT8
How am I ever going to improve if you keep me laughing like that!! (The competitor "doping" with the dill pickle to enhance his Vodka intake was brilliant!!)
Old 12-03-2015

s.sciame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenson1a View Post
I think that Salvo hit the nail on the head. If your breathing skills are lacking, it seems that everything goes to pot--usually sooner than later. When I get tired, I notice that my exhale comes a lot more forcefully, my spl goes up, and I feel tension in the neck. Breathing seems to be the hardest skill to really master. Lacking in this skill makes everything harder. At least that is my take on this topic.

Sherry
I'm recently following the Wim Hof method (didn't buy the course, for now I'm going on with the free stuff) and I have to say that it's amazing what a well oxygenated body can do. After 30 power breaths you're the superhuman version of yourself. Too bad the effect only lasts a few minutes...

http://www.icemanwimhof.com/innerfire

Salvo
Old 12-05-2015

Danny

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.sciame View Post
I'm recently following the Wim Hof method (didn't buy the course, for now I'm going on with the free stuff) and I have to say that it's amazing what a well oxygenated body can do. After 30 power breaths you're the superhuman version of yourself. Too bad the effect only lasts a few minutes...

http://www.icemanwimhof.com/innerfire

Salvo
Hi Salvo, just a word of caution here. If I understand this correctly, you are talking about hyperventilating, and a lot of swim instructors will tell you that this is dangerous. I used to do it to help me swim long distance underwater without coming up to breath. Yes, it allows you to go much further without coming up for a breath, but the problem is that people who do it too much sometimes pass out when they are underwater. This is why the safety people are against it. It can mask your oxygen deprivation and that can get you in trouble.

Just looked for a link on this, and here is what I found
http://www.sportcentric.com/vsite/vf...-0-file,00.pdf

Judge it for yourself.

Danny
Old 12-07-2015

s.sciame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Hi Salvo, just a word of caution here. If I understand this correctly, you are talking about hyperventilating, and a lot of swim instructors will tell you that this is dangerous.
Hi Danny,
yes, the power breaths are something similar to hyperventilation and to a yoga breathing pattern (tummo), but they're not meant to be used to stay longer underwater. The Wim Hof method is not about this, personally I'm not even interested in hypoxic training. The method is about getting stronger, healtier and more aware of your potential. And when the body is well oxigenated it's also stronger. For instance try to do push ups after the power breaths to experience this. I was quite impressed when I tried.

Cheers,
Salvo