Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2015

sclim

Watching this loop over and over again I became aware of little things that in theory could be improved upon to significant benefit. His toes are not as floppy, pointed or flipper-like as other swimmers seem to be, for instance. Even if he keeps the whole leg following in the slip-stream "shadow" of his trunk, the drag of his non-pointed toes must eventually add up to some unnecessary energy that he is wasting for the whole race.

Last edited by sclim : 11-26-2015 at 09:13 PM.
Old 11-26-2015

Zenturtle

He can get the top of his feet in line with the shin, but thats it.
he gets most of it by pointing inward.
It surprises me that there is not a team of medics that take some measures to change this.
Some dancers cut their legs , keep the ends at some distance and let bone tisue grow in between to make the legs longer.
Should be possible to change something in the ankle range of motion too.
Maybe thats not allowed.
It shows that ankle stretching has its limits.
He is nowhere near the flexibilty of Natalie Coughlin, who is a phantastic kicker.
Sun Yang is a phantastic puller (or pusher)
Look at these ankles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKciZM0CwE4

His banana shape when breathing is obvious too, but above water his breathing looks good.
He is not very buoyant and he just has to bend some to get to air probably.
Normally his whole head is underwater. Turning the face sideways is not enough for him, and overrotating isnt ideal either.

Last edited by Zenturtle : 11-26-2015 at 09:21 PM.
Old 11-26-2015

sclim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenturtle View Post
He can get the top of his feet in line with the shin, but thats it.
he gets most of it by pointing inward.
It surprises me that there is not a team of medics that take some measures to change this.
Some dancers cut their legs , keep the ends at some distance and let bone tisue grow in between to make the legs longer.
Should be possible to change something in the ankle range of motion too.
Maybe thats not allowed.
It shows that ankle stretching has its limits.
He is nowhere near the flexibilty of Natalie Coughlin, who is a phantastic kicker.
Sun Yang is a phantastic puller (or pusher)
Look at these ankles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y04vaOLUiVM
With the amount of training time that these guys put in, plus the huge level of state-funded medical/physio/trainer expertise that is available to this level of athlete I'm surprised that no-one seems to have allocated in the trivial amount of time and effort that it would take to do specific stretching and muscle training to get the ankle and mid-foot pointy-toe alignment that someone this young would easily have capability for achieving.
Old 11-26-2015

sclim

Haha, I just had a thought. China has had a history of binding women's feet that was finally mostly abolished in the early 1900's. A good thing, too, as the results were grotesque and awful.

But I bring this up merely to point out what can be accomplished simply by compression and continued applied pressure on joints and tissues, especially when started at a young age. We're only talking about extending joint flexibility in the feet by a few degrees, to get the necessary streamlining, and surely this could be accomplished by some combination of active stretching exercises plus some passive splinting device.