Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2015

Danny

Hi Joel,

TI is not a religion for me; it is a tool box. I started looking at TI before DVDs ever came out, so I don't have any. I am a firm adherent to the idea of trying things out according to our own intuition and seeing what works. This is especially true for those of us who are not working with coaches. So you won't get any criticism from me on this score.

On the other hand, if you have good balance, which should help your freestyle, you should have no trouble skating, so if you are wondering about this, you might want to try it. When you do, pay especial attention to what happens to your hip when you role to breath. Is it sinking? If so, this might be something you might want to work on, but the choice is up to you. Play around with your head position to see what happens to your hip when you do. I only proposed this as a diagnostic tool to check to see how good your balance really is. The faster you swim, the less critical balance is, and you are a fast enough swimmer so that you might not have noticed problems until now.

On another score, I made my first effort at interval training last night. The results were interesting, but I'll start another thread to discuss them.

Good luck!
Old 07-19-2015

Talvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streak View Post
.. OK go on, let me have it. I'll get my raincoat!
:D fwiw have a look at around 0:09 at Shinji on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJyRiUydUcQ I attach a still.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1000m_UglySpot.jpg (26.5 KB, 7 views)

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 07-19-2015

Talvi

Thanks Truwani. I'll give it a go.

While the pools are closed here during the summer I'm doing 1km interval/sessions in the lake. I've got a "100m+" lane that I use, that keeps me out of the way of power boats and fishing hooks. No times no paces no spl. It's really different and nice :)

Danny, I look forward to reading your new thread.

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 07-19-2015

Tom Pamperin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streak View Post
What I should be doing is reducing the 2 minutes to say 1:50 to give me less rest time but working out where the second hand should be on the clock after each 100 will fry my brain!
I find the OPPOSITE to be true, though! If the first repeat starts at the :00, then the next one starts with the clock hand at the :50, the next at the :40, etc. So now, not only do I know when to start the next repeat, I ALSO know which repeat I'm on. Makes keeping track of where you are in the workout almost automatic. (That's why I like analog pace clocks).
Old 07-19-2015

Streak

Hey Tom, that's brilliant. I just had to sit down with a pen and paper to work it out.
Whenever I did these types of intervals before it was with my swim buddy and I used to go on his mark rather than watching the clock which he was doing anyway. Now I know how he got the timing right so easily.

The pool does have a large analog timing clock. Lots to do tomorrow!