Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2015

Talvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFEGb View Post
.. BTW think overrotation as game or for recovery interests is OK and the home page photo gives a dynamic impression clearly. But don't know it it is best for demonstrating part of TI-stroke..
I also commented on the suitability of that photo but Charles and Suzzanne were united in their support for it and now I think maybe I know why.

The over-rotation I'm practising is not of the body or shoulders but only of my head. You can get the feel of it as a dryland exercise sitting at the PC. Sitting straight etc turn/rotate your head as far as you ccomfortably can. Then hold that position while focusing on relaxing everything you can in your neck and head. You'll find you need far less effort to maintain the position that at first and after a few seconds you'll be able to rotate your head maybe another 5 or 10'.

In swimming I think my neck becomes quite tense so I don't rotate my head as much as I can on dryland so I don't need a few seconds to make the fuller turn. I just need to disconnect head and body and release the tension.

I find the main advatage of practising the movement is that it brings the breath earlier in the stroke so as to coincide with the point of maximum thrust/forward movement.

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov

Last edited by Talvi : 07-05-2015 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-05-2015

WFEGb

Hello Talvi,

Quote:
...You can get the feel of it as a dryland exercise sitting at the PC. Sitting straight etc turn/rotate your head as far as you ccomfortably can. Then hold that position while focusing on relaxing everything you can in your neck and head. You'll find you need far less effort to maintain the position that at first and after a few seconds you'll be able to rotate your head maybe another 5 or 10'....
WOW! Yes, same experience. Thank you! Will have it in mind next pooltimes.

Best regards,
Werner
Old 07-05-2015

Talvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFEGb View Post
Hello Talvi,

WOW! Yes, same experience. Thank you! Will have it in mind next pooltimes.

Best regards,
Werner

:) :) Nice to give something back to you! Don't forget to post what you find.

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 07-05-2015

Zenturtle

I think its a crazy approach, but I always like a crazy experiment, so go ahead and see what it brings.
I think it only allows overrotation and sinking instead of curing it.
A 45 degree roll angle plus a 45 degree head rotation gives a total of 90 making you look to the side of the pool.
Thats ideal, but often only attainable at higher speeds by buoyant persons.

How much can you rotate the head by the way?
I cant even reach 90 degrees. Strain at about 75-80 degrees. About 60 degrees max relaxed.
Old 07-06-2015

Talvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenturtle View Post
I think its a crazy approach, but I always like a crazy experiment, so go ahead and see what it brings.
I think it only allows overrotation and sinking instead of curing it.
A 45 degree roll angle plus a 45 degree head rotation gives a total of 90 making you look to the side of the pool.
Thats ideal, but often only attainable at higher speeds by buoyant persons.

How much can you rotate the head by the way?
I cant even reach 90 degrees. Strain at about 75-80 degrees. About 60 degrees max relaxed.
LoL I have found what it brings :) Great stuff! :D

No over rotation follows unless you don't have the necessary flexibility of course.

No sinking unless you raise your head there's no change to buoyancy. I'm only talking about rotation.

I can rotate my head relative to looking straight ahead at right angles to my shoulder line, by a bit more than 90', maybe to about 130'.

~ Aleksandr Popov