Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2015
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Long fins are great at taming the legs, namely taming knee flexion. It's very difficult to kick from the knee with long fins, but most important (with long fins) the swimmer will feel the flow from hip through toes or end of fin. Also promotes pointing toes not flexing tight ankles (Frankenstein feet).

A good two beat kick timing practice is to wear only one long fin on right or left foot and concentrate on single side timing and flow through toes in freestyle, i.e left hip drives down, feel energy flow through right leg through the end of fin.

Stuart
Old 04-01-2015

Talvi

Very helpful explanation Stuart thanks. So do you think the Alpha fins not a good idea, not as good, or ...?

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 04-01-2015

Zenturtle

Good tips from the Coach I think.

Even elites use it to focus on one side, in this case to work on the diagonal connection.
https://vimeo.com/85613326
Thats the backbone of his stroke. A foundation to fall back upon when you get tired.
Every swimmers should have a personal backbone in place before anytrhing else.
You can see these basics working also in his full stroke
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xe3...-serbest_sport
Nicely corkscrewing his way forward through the water

I have tried the alpha fins. They are incredibly buoyant. So buoyant I couldnt kick much before only kicking in the air.
Half pull buoy half fin almost.
Makes it easy to swim with a very faint 2BK and still keep the legs at the surface.
Just buy them. (and some long fins maybe) All those swim toys are affordable.

Last edited by Zenturtle : 04-01-2015 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-01-2015

Talvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenturtle View Post
... Just buy them. (and some long fins maybe) All those swim toys are affordable.
I've been looking and there are dozens of shapes and sizes of fin available. So which type do you reckon Stuart (and Terry) might be recommending? Any ideas? There are dozens of types varying in cost from 240 to 40 euros a pair ... and that's excluding free diving fins!

It wasn't the cost, I was concerned about developing (more) bad habits. Despite the impression I undoubtedly give in these forums, I want(ed) to follow the straight and narrow i.e don't use pull buoys (though in the end I did!).

There's also that I feel I've always been trying to get away from fins. I started snorkelling when I was maybe 4 or 5 years old. I still remember the joy of using them swimming with a couple of eagle rays in Jamaica, and a shoal of barracuda. Swimming normally is such a shock after them, and I never got the hang of it. In my teens I failed to get into a local sub-aqua club when I couldn't pass their swimming trials - 200m with a 4lb weight belt or something like that, and I barely managed 50m.

Thanks for the videos and the explanation. It helps.

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov

Last edited by Talvi : 04-01-2015 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-01-2015

Zenturtle

Best for Stuart to answer that one.
Seems zoomers are the closest to normal feet, so they dont spoil you that much, but also dont give much extra propulsion.
No need to spend more than 40 euros. You are not going to cross the ocean with them.

Last edited by Zenturtle : 04-01-2015 at 10:09 AM.
Old 04-01-2015

Talvi
Default No patent pending

Quick return to the original question (it's kind of off topic now):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talvi View Post
.. I have some of those straps used to tie skiis together, flourescent yellow (so good for open water?!). A bit of string and I'd be done...
It didn't work!!

Any movement allowance at the ankles can be taken up either perpendicularly to the body line or ... parallel to it. Hooked legs is not eliminated. Moving the strap to the knees also doesn't work, for more obvious reasons. Seems two straps are required.

~ Aleksandr Popov

Last edited by Talvi : 04-01-2015 at 01:33 PM.
Old 04-01-2015
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talvi View Post
I've been looking and there are dozens of shapes and sizes of fin available. So which type do you reckon Stuart (and Terry) might be recommending? Any ideas? There are dozens of types varying in cost from 240 to 40 euros a pair ... and that's excluding free diving fins!
Hi Talvi, Like the Zoomers, I don't find the Alpha fins long enough, and the rounded shape on top of foot provides an unstable platform. Finis once sold the same or similar fin called Aqua Blade, but looks like they discontinued it. I had a pair and gave them away. Just use regular long fins, 16-18" works just fine: http://www.finisinc.com/Floating-Fin. I also have a pair of diver fins that are about 4" longer than swim fins (22") that work well too (and were cheaper)

But with any pool toy, limited use, don't become dependent on them, i.e. 3-4 50's, then remove and try to feel the same flow without. Kick timing (one fining) same, short repeats, remove repeat without.

Stuart
Old 04-01-2015

Talvi

Thanks Stuart :)

~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 04-04-2015

neomax

Taming of the legs? you can achieve enhancement with naturamax. In my opinion stay away from alpha Fins...

Last edited by neomax : 06-03-2015 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-04-2015

neomax

In fact, just find fins that fit well and are comfortable on your feet. The rest will take care of itself :)