Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2015

Talvi
Default Taming of the legs

In the absence of coach or regular video (twice a year doesn't count), I started thinking of leg restraints! Question is how much movement (between ankles) to allow though? Shinji wrote 15cm but that sounds seriously small.

Making something will be easy. I have some of those straps used to tie skiis together, flourescent yellow (so good for open water?!). A bit of string and I'd be done.

Desperate times call for desperate measures?

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 03-26-2015

Streak

I would hesitate to tie my legs together specially in open water.
The way I am trying to get the feel of minimum leg movement is to use these very light alpha fins as a pull buoy. ie. just drag my legs behind me. The natural hip drive starts getting a very slight kick going by itself.

I do a few lengths like this than start adding the slightest of kicks not much more than dragging the legs. I do this for a few lengths to get the feel then take them off and try and maintain the small movement.
Old 03-26-2015

Zenturtle

Let the big toes touch the other foot at every kick. Gives more awareness how much the feet are moving.
Old 03-26-2015

sclim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenturtle View Post
Let the big toes touch the other foot at every kick. Gives more awareness how much the feet are moving.
I do something like this, or try to. Trouble is, sometimes I catch myself not doing it. Then bets are off, I guess.

I seem to remember a couple of months ago someone on this forum in the process of designing a gadget for limiting kick amplitude. I remember now, because I was thinking of designing one myself -- something like ankle bands joined by a tether of a length to be determined, but easily adjustable, I would imagine. And a quick release for safety -- all you need to do is grab the clip and it releases. But because said forum contributor was working on it -- just wait for it he said, so I forgot about it. Haven't heard since.
Old 03-26-2015

Talvi

Alpha fins -- are those the cut down ones? I like the idea.

My idea isn't quite as dramatic as you imagine but I wouldn't use it in ow either. Each of the ankle straps is a band of velcro so it'd not be hard to remove if necessary.

ZT
Touching toes doesn't teach a feel for maximum separation.

I've tried simming touching feet after each kick for instance. I suspect it works best to polish goodish kicks rather than to train a good-enough kick.

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 03-26-2015

sclim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talvi View Post

My idea isn't quite as dramatic as you imagine but I wouldn't use it in ow either. Each of the ankle straps is a band of velcro so it'd not be hard to remove if necessary.
So if you kick hard at the velcro it separates -- safety feature!

And you train to limit your amplitude so you only normally kick to just before you hit the limit you have set on the velcro.

Quote:
ZT

I've tried simming touching feet after each kick for instance. I suspect it works best to polish goodish kicks rather than to train a good-enough kick.
You're right per se, but if you have to come together immediately afterwards, it drives some awareness of separation, no?

I just realised what I have tried to do. It's 2 separate things. One is to (try to) perform a low amplitude kick, but hopefully with as much efficiency as I can manage, which for me translates into rotating my hips inwards a little so my feet are aligned with the widest dimension perpendicular to the direction of kick, and secondly, immediately after the kick, getting my pointed toes back as close together, and slightly overlapped, for that brief glide between kicks for, hopefully, streamlining effect.

I'm not sure how effective this last measure is, especially as I tend to leg-sink between kicks, despite all my efforts at balance.
Old 03-28-2015

Streak

Hi Talvi,
Yes they are cut down, barely bigger than your foot and very light.

http://www.swimoutlet.com/p/aqua-sph...pha-fins-5265/

Quote:

ZT

Old 03-29-2015

Talvi

Worth a whirl. I'll put them on my list!

I notice even Terry suggests fins for things - long fins for focusing on stroke timing etc ... need to find that blog again.

~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 03-30-2015

bogger

I used to swim breaststroke for 5 years, i think breaststroke is easy to get start,and keep it going,you will get better and better. :) sorry For poor english.
Old 03-31-2015

junkman

Quote:
Worth a whirl. I'll put them on my list!

I notice even Terry suggests fins for things - long fins for focusing on stroke timing etc ... need to find that blog again.
I've been afraid of becoming lazy using fins. Regarding legs, it seems like every focal point improves with concentration. Spend a session thinking only of small kicks bringing your feet back to touching each time. Think only of the size and timing of the kick. Don't worry or consider whether or not the kick helps with body roll.

If you get tired of kicks, try working on balance via 1 arm drills. Balance can always use improvement.

The improvement may not come immediately but this week is better than the week 6 months ago.