Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2015

Talvi
Default Dear Shinji ... the new thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiswimjapan View Post
Sample photo of bow wave.
I cannot breathe underwater, but it looks so from above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talvi View Post
Shinji, Such a beautiful photo!

Without easy breathing it is hard not to struggle. If we struggle our technique does not improve. If our technique does not improve we do not go faster. If we do not go faster we cannot get the easy breath.

What is your experience of breaking this cycle and your advice? Is it back-balance drill?

This bow wave effect seems to me to be critical to technique. You clearly have the acceleration needed to create it and you seem to swim your relaxed style at about a 1:20 /100m pace. You have a video showing your swimming before learning TI and look quick in that too. Perhaps you "always" had the speed even if it was not at a competitive level?

I don't think I have ever been fast enough, so what advice would you give to those of us stuck at paces over 2:00 /100m and with poor acceleration?
Quote:

Based on your swim, it seems timing of putting your energy is 0.05 second earlier than it should be.

It might be a better idea to create another thread since it is off the topic of this thread.
Hei Shinji!

Here is the new thread you suggested.

Could you please also expand on what you mean by: "timing of putting your energy"?

Am I correct to understand you have found time to look at my video?!?! Domo arigatou gozaimasu! If you have, would you tell me at what timeframe in it you notice me "putting in energy"?

Thank you.

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov

Last edited by Talvi : 01-28-2015 at 11:28 AM.
Old 01-28-2015

tiswimjapan
Default Timing of putting energy

Many TI beginners try to emphasize their insertion action, so they try to accelerate their hand at insertion.

But insertion itself creates little propulsion. Main propulsion comes from movement of the underwater hand. So you need to utilize the insertion hand as follows;

1) At insertion, you can utilize the potential energy which is kept in your hand.
You just drop your hand and you get enough acceleration to spear your hand.
You rather focus on the form of catch in the water so that you can use it as pivot of leverage.
The reason I try to keep my elbow high at insertion is to keep more potential energy.

2) With using the underwater hand as pivot of leverage, you spear your hand forward. You need to change the direction from down to forward with engaging the middle finger by raising by 1cm.

3) After you change the direction, you quickly extend your elbow along with pushing the water back with the other hand. Pushing the water happens as the result of spearing movement, so you do not need to put your energy.

Based on watching your swim video, you accelerate your hand before insertion. It creates splash and is less efficient. You want to emphasize your action when you extend your arm forward, which is about 0.3-0.5 sec after the insertion.

You always think "Are there any ways to make leverages?" There are so many leverages you can find.
Shinji's Swim Video: http://youtu.be/rJpFVvho0o4
Old 01-28-2015

Janos

Shinji, is it true you have a background in engineering? If so, have you developed your TI stroke by applying this knowledge to swimming?

Janos
Old 01-28-2015

bx

We are fortunate to have both Terry and Shinji answering questions here.

I find the differences in the styles of explanation very interesting.

Terry seems to explain things in holistic, big-picture ways. I also like Shinji's precise engineering style explanations - positions and forces and levers and velocities etc.

Has anyone else looked at Shinji's "Freestyle Toolbox" videos (in English)? They are very cool, and very short!

Last edited by bx : 01-28-2015 at 10:16 PM. Reason: too many "very"s
Old 01-29-2015

tiswimjapan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janos View Post
Shinji, is it true you have a background in engineering? If so, have you developed your TI stroke by applying this knowledge to swimming?

Janos
Hi Janos,

My major was communication engineering, including programming. I handle most of the primary programming on the TI Japan web site, video editing of DVD titles, and some composition of musics.

For me, swimming is both art and prime factor decomposition. Finding prime factor of each movement is my habit. I also used to enjoy composing/playing musics with using computers.
Old 01-29-2015

tiswimjapan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bx View Post
Has anyone else looked at Shinji's "Freestyle Toolbox" videos (in English)? They are very cool, and very short!
Thank you. I analyzed my YouTube video statistics and found most people watched for 90 seconds, then left. So whenever I create videos, I try to keep the duration less than 90 seconds.

And video production process is straightforward. Since I do not have any sense of creative video edition, I just use several shots with the similar sequences to describe what I would like to say. That is why my YouTube video is so unprofessional. I edited and selected the music. I can say my swim is artistic(because I try to do so), but my video is not artistic at all.
Old 01-29-2015

Zenturtle

Talking about engineering,
Shinji, what do you think of the idea to find still water during the underwaterpull?

Your pull path isnt exactly straight but follows an often seen slightly curved path.
Do you believe better nett traction can be found by moving the hand/forearm a bit sideways during the rearward motion?
Old 01-29-2015
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Quote:
Based on watching your swim video, you accelerate your hand before insertion. It creates splash and is less efficient.
I see this often in newer TI swimmers. When I see it I describe it as "thrusting" or "stabbing" at the water.

Then I tell them to let gravity drop the hand into the water -- like "ripe fruit dropping from a tree."

Once you take out inefficiently-applied force and energy (which originates in the shoulder), then it's easier to learn a fully-integrated action in which the whole body (along with gravity) drives your hand--and you--forward.

I explain that in detail (accompanied by photo illustration) in Chapter 8 of my new book Ultra Efficient Freestyle

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 01-29-2015

tiswimjapan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenturtle View Post
Talking about engineering,
Shinji, what do you think of the idea to find still water during the underwaterpull?

Your pull path isnt exactly straight but follows an often seen slightly curved path.
Do you believe better nett traction can be found by moving the hand/forearm a bit sideways during the rearward motion?
I used to just anchor my hand and utilized lateral weight shift.
Now I have more steep angle of elbows to move hands more quickly with using the body roll.
As a result, the path is different than before.

So the path is created as a result of action. I try not to move my hands by itself since it causes tense and delays the movement.

I focus on the shape of the hand/arm. but I shift my focus on spearing hand after forming the other hand in the water.
Old 01-29-2015

Zenturtle

Interesting.
Do you feel the inertia of the bodyroll becomes more important since your shifted to higher strokerate and that the straight arm recovery also leads to a different pressure on the hand/arm during entry and during the first phase of the stroke?

Some people believe a part of the decelleration of the angular moment of the body can be used to give extra pressure on the catch.
A sort of recycling of bodyroll kinetic energy between left and right side.
This aspect could become more important at higher strokerates.

What do you think of the basic system similarities between freestyle and this walking robot?
Pendulum=roll, legs=arms
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R93RRyW8484

Last edited by Zenturtle : 01-29-2015 at 12:57 PM.