Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2014

s.sciame

I like this framework! Plenty of new things to try and kids to find. Maybe that's one of the reasons why they're so fast: they just try!

Thanks again,
Salvo

PS: I think I still haven't found a forum where you don't write :)
Old 12-11-2014

s.sciame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenturtle View Post
Are you able to monitor your techniique duriong your aerobic sets and correct it during the swim?
I think if you are able to steer the technique in the right direction during your swim and keep awareness of how your stroke is developing the risk of doing garbage miles is small and the positive endurance building works in the positive direction for you.
You slowly improve your technique and endurance this way I guess.
Yes, first of all I always count SPL: for a set that typically ranges between 2k and 4k, I set TT in lap mode to fix the pace I want to hold and I aim to keep SPL as steady as possible. If during the entire set I lose more than 1SPL, that's an alert.
Secondly, by feel: if I'm able to hold the same pace at the same SPL and I feel my body (especially my arms) relaxed for the entire set, that's another indicator that technique did not deteriorate.

Furthermore I find long sets not boring as it may seem, because they give you plenty of time to focus on different focal points while you swim (another technique aid), and they allow you to assess how much your technique is really sustainable. Sometimes it is in the middle of a tough 10x400 that you turn yourself into a problem solver and find a subtle change in your stroke that makes all the difference.
Old 12-19-2014

Talvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.sciame View Post
.. Sometimes it is in the middle of a tough 10x400 that you turn yourself into a problem solver and find a subtle change in your stroke that makes all the difference.
Not at the point of doing 4km sessions (!) but I have still found this myself i.e that when you start to struggle you HAVE to adjust and relax and find a better way ... that or drown! ;) It's good imo to sometimes get to that point of struggle and get through it by some change of movement or mind.

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov