Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2014

arlettat@aol.com
Default 2 beat kick and streamlining

I'm 9 weeks into working with my TI videos. This past week I've been starting to incorporate the 2 beat kick into my swimming. I don't struggle as much with the 2 beat kick when I do in drills. However, when I try to add it to whole stroke, my anchor arm collapses out from under me as I rotate to take a breath. I'm not sure if this is a timing issue, or if its related more to not being streamlined (I'm thinking it's the streamlining more so than timing). Also, is there such a thing as over-reaching or over-stretching the lead arm? Thank you for your input.
Old 05-23-2014
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Hi arlettat,

Often when first integrating kick timing, stable parts of your stroke will fall apart just a bit, largely due to too much knee bend (legs are taking over) and the kick is too early not timed with the hip drive. I generally tell students don't think too much about the kick as you do with the hips. The hips start the motion - the legs will follow; and if this timing is correct, "kick happens" and "catch happens". Think swimming inside out, not legs and arms in. I sometimes refer to the two beat kick as the "two beat hip" to take the emphasis away from the kicking legs.

Here's a video demo and analysis of kick timing: 2BK and Effective Propulsion

Stuart
MindBodyAndSWIM
Old 05-23-2014
Coach

CoachToddE

Need some clarification or a better analysis of what you are feeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlettat@aol.com View Post
I don't struggle as much with the 2 beat kick when I do in drills. However, when I try to add it to whole stroke, my anchor arm collapses out from under me as I rotate to take a breath. I'm not sure if this is a timing issue, or if its related more to not being streamlined (I'm thinking it's the streamlining more so than timing). Also, is there such a thing as over-reaching or over-stretching the lead arm? Thank you for your input.
You don't struggle with the 2BK in drills but only when adding whole stroke? What drills are you using to learn the 2BK that are different from whole stroke?

Anchor arm collapses on rotation to breath? Does it collapse during all your breaths (using traditional flutter) or only when you are trying to do the 2BK?

Over-reaching can be too much if you are locking our your arm and not keeping a soft C shape that you achieve in reaching over the VW Hood to the bumper or over the Med Ball. You want to reach and extend through the axillary (shoulder girdle) without locking out elbows.
Old 05-23-2014

Scotty

Stu McDu:

No one can put together a training video with as much focus as you. You got the x's and o's down perfectly. Thanks for another great contribution.

Scotty
Old 05-23-2014

arlettat@aol.com

CoachStuartMcDougal, thank you for sharing that video. Of course, I had already found it on youtube and did find it to be one of the most useful videos on the 2 beat kick. I'll try to think of it from the "two beat hip" standpoint and see if that helps. I know Rome wasn't built in a day, so I'll just keep trying.

CoachToddE, I have an easier time with the 2 beat kick during drills like spear switch (of course, it's not perfect by any measure but there are times when I "feel" it). I even "feel it" during whole stroke if I time it correctly. Sometimes I try to do as many whole strokes as possible without breathing so that I can get a long sequence stroke and kick in. However, when I do whole stroke and take a breath, that's when the 2 beat kick falls apart and the lead arm collapses from under me. I'm ok with the lead arm if I'm doing a flutter kick and breathe. I'm just having a tough time with 2 beat kick and breathing. I'll take your info and CoachStuarts info and continue to try ingrain this into my brain. I was just curious to know if it's possible to over-reach the lead arm. And yes, I do believe I lock the elbow when I reach. I'll try to be mindful not to do that and to think medicine ball reach. A competitive swimmer at the pool was watching me and said that I'm not stretching far enough with the lead arm...among other things like lifting the head. I'm really bad with the head lifting but I'm trying to stop.

Thank you for your help!!!

Last edited by arlettat@aol.com : 05-23-2014 at 08:17 PM.
Old 05-24-2014
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
Stu McDu:

No one can put together a training video with as much focus as you. You got the x's and o's down perfectly. Thanks for another great contribution.
Scotty
Thanks for feedback Scotty(!) and you're welcome. I'm very happy to know it helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlettat@aol.com View Post
CoachStuartMcDougal, thank you for sharing that video. Of course, I had already found it on youtube and did find it to be one of the most useful videos on the 2 beat kick. I'll try to think of it from the "two beat hip" standpoint and see if that helps. I know Rome wasn't built in a day, so I'll just keep trying.
Ok great to hear arlettat and thank you too. Stick with the feeling from the hips and not so much the kick. And Coach Todd's advice on soft "c" shape, reaching over the hood, not extending recovery arm flat on surface. Also when hips take control, spearing deep (sliding recovery down the vw hood) will become a more natural movement. Kicking before the hips will often trigger the flat recovery arm, laying flat on surface. But again, don't be overly fixated on kick timing, it will happen naturally - enjoy the journey.

Happy Swimming!!

Stuart
MindBodyAndSWIM
Old 05-24-2014

arlettat@aol.com

I have to laugh that you said "enjoy the journey". Every time someone has something negative to say about my desire to compete in a triathlon (a few family members), I tell them that I'm enjoying my life journey...and I truly am. I'm enjoying learning a new sport and one that requires technique and not just endurance. I really think I need to relax and take it easy with being SO technical about everything though. I will definitely take your advice!

Last edited by arlettat@aol.com : 05-24-2014 at 08:07 PM.