Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2013

gberesinski
Default Learning to Breath

I am teaching myself to do freestyle to do triathlons. I have the total Immersion book which I have been followinig the drills. I also have the dvd I use as a reference. Well I am at the part where I begin to start to work on my breathing. I am having a hard time getting the cordination down when I am so post to inhale and exhale. I read and watched a youtube video when I have my head in the water I should exhale through my nose? Then obvouisly when I lift my head up out of the water I Inhale. Is this correct? Looking at the book and dvd it does not go into any details about that.

Thanks
Old 03-16-2013

borate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gberesinski View Post
I read and watched a youtube video when I have my head in the water I should exhale through my nose? Then obviously when I lift my head up out of the water I Inhale. Is this correct?
Thanks
Exhale through both nose and mouth, underwater.

Don't lift your head to breathe; turn it as much or slightly more than the angle of body roll. Making a "popeye" mouth, with lips drawn to one side, can help.

A quick bite of air is all that's needed, taken just as the recovery arm is leaving the water. Look here. Terry's slow-motion footage demos this nicely.
Old 03-16-2013

dgk2009

so you do rotate a little more when breathing correct??
Old 03-16-2013

borate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgk2009 View Post
So you do rotate a little more when breathing correct??
Not really. Rotate just enough: the shoulder will clear the water during recovery, with forearm and hand dangling easily below the elbow, as it leads into the spear. The head may rotate a bit more than the body as a whole.

Aim for one goggle under water, or close, when breathing. Some folks tilt the head towards the chin a bit, looking rearward. It can be hard to spot on which stroke practiced swimmers take a breath.

The head always stays in alignment with the spine throughout the stroke - a somewhat a military-like posture - but not too tense. Shingi

Last edited by borate : 03-16-2013 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-17-2013

Rajan

Hi!

Would you please elaborate how this position of mouth can be helpful in breathing. Can this position(popeye mouth) help one in rotating the head less or can this position be helpful in achieving one goggle out position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borate View Post
Making a "popeye" mouth, with lips drawn to one side, can help.

Last edited by Rajan : 03-17-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-25-2013

gberesinski
Default Skate drills and breathing

I am learning to swim and I am doing the drill where I start on my back and rotate to my side. I then extend my one arm out. I then rotate my head lookiing straight down. I try to exhale through my nose and mouth. I then rotate my head back up looking straight up to inhale. I will even rotate on to my back. When doing this drill I take in a little bit of water. I think through my nose. Is this normal or am I not doing it correctly or do I just need to continue practicing?

Thank you in Advance.
Old 03-27-2013
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Here is an excellent analysis and breakdown from Coach Kamil Janicki (TI Poland) of each step in breathing in freestyle. A series of stills illustrating/explaining correct position, alignment, and timing of exhale/inhale. At risk of being cliche', a picture is worth a thousand words - here are 15 pics from start to finish.

Breathing in Freestyle by TI Coach Janicki

Happy Swimming and Breathing!

Stuart