Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2012

westyswoods
Default Tracking Various Tempos IN OW

I am currently planning on bumping up my OW swims between now and the end of season. To this point in time I have yet to use a TT for any long OW swims. Last Thursday to the best of my calculations I swam approx 1.5 miles in 48 minutes.

There has been much discussion here on GPS swim tracking devices. Is there a general consensus from forum members as to the best. What I would like to do is use one in conjunction with an Ipod TT which automatically switches tempo at set intervals in OW. Example ( Start at 1.3 swim for 20 minutes whenTT automatically moves to 1.28 another 20 then 1.26 ......

Interval and duration surely can be varied. My intent is to see how my distance and bearings increase or decrease with changes in tempo. Twenty minutes may be too long although that is all I have programed right now. Being computer illiterate need someone to help me with resetting durations of various tempos.

This game plan was to have happened early summer, due to an unfortunate accident (finger amputation) my swimming was literally stopped for eight weeks. Makes the finger drag drill a little easier.

This years goal was to do a 10k or two loops of a local lake won't happen now, just aiming for 5 now.

Any suggestions and or ideas will be greatly appreciated

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy
Old 08-11-2012

Ladyfish
Default GPS for swimming

Westy,

I have a Garmin 910X and it is outstanding for open water. The display is big and easy to read and it has a nice "vibrate" alarm that you can set for various distances ( might help with your TT plan) and when you start an interval(hit the lap button).

The biggest negative for me is that I get so involved with looking at the data on my computer afterward, that I forget to turn the unit off and recharge it. That is clearly a user problem.

I have the Finis swim sense too but that is not GPS so I won't speak to that.
I think using the TT in open water sounds like a grand idea---I only wonder what the critters think of the constant ping. You might attract unwanted followers... (LOL)
Old 08-12-2012

andyinnorway

I have the 910xt too and love it, I think they have another model with the same metrics if you don't need all the tri stuff.

Its great to see where you swam and your stroke rate.

I have all my open water swims of the summer on my watch ready for an upload when I get back to Norway today. Looking forward to seeing the data both good and bad.
Old 08-12-2012

westyswoods
Default Thanks

A heartfelt thanks to Ladyfish and Andy for their responses. In researching devices the 910xt pops up often. I need to see if they make a model without all the Tri options as I can't run or bike.

Any other feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy
Old 08-12-2012

andyinnorway

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=425&ra=true

I thought I saw them advertising something new at the local pool, they now have a watch called Garmin Swim, which has all the swimming without the other stuff, probably priced at $149 in US, I bought mine (910xt) from one of the stores with 10% vip club as it was only $10 for membership, can't remember the store name think it was fit2run in Orlando but I know roadrunnersports have the same VIP scheme.