Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2012

CharlesCouturier
Default Floating perfection horizontal without moving at all: Could everyone achieve this?

Hi TI Friends. I would love to hear your take on this video clip here. My question:
I'm asking to TI-Experts, since Balance is an extremely important component to your system. Do you agree with the author of this clip that *Anyone*, *Everyone* regardless of body composition can indeed perform the exercise explained in this clip?

Thanks! And do not hesitate a single minute, I certainly have no intention to defend this author's position:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW5nE5FBPsQ
Old 07-26-2012

WFEGb

Hi Charles,

I can do this exercise. Tried it because I thought there had to be a trick... But I have to engage my backmuscles as bridge cables very strong. It's not possbile for me to swim more than 2-3 strokes. They feel terrible, sure they look the same and I'm not sure to get forward in anyway.

Don't know if everyone can do this exercise but I'm convinced going from there to streamlined strokes of least resistance is more than impossible for most beginners.

Regards,
Werner

PS: Is the funny guy a swim coach? His right shoulder seems prominent and hanging down. This could not be a swim training effect, can it?
Old 07-26-2012

Rincewind

That was actually very informative regarding the shift in the center or gravity, I never understood how that worked, I thought center of gravity was constant. Will have to try that exercise when I get a chance.

Also make sure you tell the lifeguards in your pool what you are doing, because to them a person face down in a prone position in the water is a sign of drowning.
Old 07-26-2012

CharlesCouturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFEGb View Post
Hi Charles,

I can do this exercise. Tried it because I thought there had to be a trick... But I have to engage my backmuscles as bridge cables very strong. It's not possbile for me to swim more than 2-3 strokes. They feel terrible, sure they look the same and I'm not sure to get forward in anyway.

Don't know if everyone can do this exercise but I'm convinced going from there to streamlined strokes of least resistance is more than impossible for most beginners.

Regards,
Werner

PS: Is the funny guy a swim coach? His right shoulder seems prominent and hanging down. This could not be a swim training effect, can it?
How do you look like physically?

Reason why I brought this clip forward is that its content goes in the opposite direction from what I've learned. Not everyone can float in a perfectly horizontal position. At first I thought it was kind of sad that this video seemed to claim otherwise.

But if you tell me you can, then it's Funny coach 1, Charles 1
('coz I can not perform this exercise myself).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
That was actually very informative regarding the shift in the center or gravity, I never understood how that worked, I thought center of gravity was constant. Will have to try that exercise when I get a chance.
That said, a lot of what's stated in this clip remains true. It's the extent to which the author claims it is that I disagree with.
Old 07-26-2012

haschu33

So, what do you think of this then ?
Old 07-26-2012

The Parrot
Default Floating Flat

This explanation may be helpful for some but it seems to me that this is isn't a million miles from how we end up at the end of a good superman glide? After about 12 metres I eventually just come to a halt and float horizontally until I have to breathe. I have never tried to consciously use my back muscles for this as I feel I would end up floating/swimming with a banana shape. I'm also pretty certain that, apart from my kick-off and glide - my freestyle swimming at present is nothing like as flat as my superman glide - that's a work in progress!

Strange how a presenter should think that distracting attention away from the subject being considered - by appearing to be a clown - would help his message.

Martin T.
Old 07-26-2012

CharlesCouturier

Well, some would rather be known than be right (A.Coggan), I may add, at all costs! LOL

I am perfectly in line with your ideas, ie what you probably mean by the superman's glide is something *everyone* without any single exception can experience. Everyone should feel the buoyancy provided by minimal momentum forward.

I think that in order to carefully test this authors beliefs, one has to wear a snorkel.
Old 07-26-2012

CharlesCouturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by haschu33 View Post
So, what do you think of this then ?
All static floating demos are done using female subject. The only demo involving a male sees this man wearing fins (?!?$# wth does he need to wear fins to float...). So that's nothing to convince me (I'm far from being against fins, but I very rarely use them, and I would never ever think of using them to support balance, it's a non sense really).

Again there, very helpful data can be retrieved out of this article, but it definitely fails to demonstrate how a male (a sinker) could manage, even whilst applying all the principles listed in this article, a perfect static horizontal position.

My take on the other clip is worst though. I believe that the author has cheated somehow in post production or God knows how...

In your article, the author seems to have avoid to display footage of all these males who probably fails floating statically in an horizontal position.

Last edited by CharlesCouturier : 07-26-2012 at 08:31 PM.
Old 07-26-2012

WFEGb

@Charles,
I'm not a sinker. About 10kg fat too much (has been 23kg before started with swimming). To do this exercise I have to get a little hollow back to get my "bridge cables" work. (The guy in in the clip does this too.)

@ Rincewind,
the center of gravity has to change if the levers to the connected masses change. Otherwise when straight as steel it will remain at the same body point. You did understand that right.

@ haschu33,
an interesting link, thank you. I'm not as firm as Charles to argue against. But the floaters as small as they might be have big impacts. (I noticed it astonished far from theory a month ago, when I changed my old smaller trunks to shorts of the same material..) Think the strived body position in your link is exactly Shinji's in his long SGs. But if I remember right it was CoachSuzanne who told us, that this is not exactly the bodyline for Shinji's swim. Think (I!) he's adopting a flowing moment in his stroke in contrast to the postulated steel beam...
The way of working with tiny fingertips is alike my Alexandertechnique teacher worked. In this way he showed me where to relax unneccesary tension.

Regards,
Werner

PS: Haschu33, you are in HH or nearby?
Old 07-26-2012

haschu33

Werner,

Working in HH, living north of HH (between HH and Kiel)