Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2011

westyswoods
Default TI Deaf

WFEGb,

This sounds all too familiar. Please for your sake do not discount that it may be the frequency/pitch or any other technical piece of the puzzle. I had custom molded ear plugs with audio tubes molded into the plug. There was no water getting into my ear canals and due to improper freq/pitch I could not hear anything when in the water although I could faintly make it out on dry land.

Coach Suzanne makes a good point although I don't know what HOH means?
I finally settled on a low frequency, almost like a base drum with an extended time. We produced many other notes in the same range and some were more audible than others, some fine out of water and nothing in water.

I know there are computer programs out there which can produce these at various rates. I would love to do it for others just am not that computer skilled and they do need to be customized.

I would suggest going to H20 audio and looking at there waterproof cases for nanos and shuffles. They have stood behind their product and service they provided for me has been excellent.

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy
Old 12-12-2011

westyswoods
Default Bingo

HOH=Hard of Hearing

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy
Old 12-12-2011

WFEGb

Westy,

still a little bit hope for me, because I'm able to hear the beep the first pool-meters before it will vanish. Think I'll try around with some different plugs.

What's exactly your equipment. May be difficult getting it here in germany. Building some MP3s with different frequenzies should not be the problem.

Suzanne, baught the TT pro. All TI-forum-talks were so positive about it, but will seek for the wetronome...

Regards
Old 12-29-2011

WFEGb
Default Swimp3.2 or NanoIPod?

Hope all readers had a merry Christmas!

Last two weeks I tested various options with my TT... Unfortunately without success...

When under the swim cap I hear the TT well until
water gets into my ear. Then I cannot hear anything but the bubbles...
I tried several silicon plugs and Aquaplugs in various combinations. Deep
and thick, thin and only at the ear entrance, Aquaplugs as they are and cut
off one or two ribs. It always results similar: If the plug is so, that I'm able to
hear the TT, nothing more will be heared when water gets through the plugs into the ear.
If the plug is so that no water will get into the ears I don't hear the beep
from start. Otherwise longest distance with beep is 75m...
Not what I would wish as short for my swim minutes...

Westy, might you please be so kind and create a list of all things you needed and how you did assemble them. I asked if the NanoIPod is waterproof by itself and got a horrified seller...

At which frequenzies do your mp3-"beeps" work best? Or has that to be testet out individual? Are you able to listen to the TT in dry state?

The (last?) alternative might be a swimp3.2:
My hope for the swimp3 is that the boneconduction could solve my
problem, maybe with beeps in lower frequenzies... (anyone out there with experiences on it?)

But if there is no hope I should keep my hands off of them, because both alternatives are not too cheap just for a TT... (But if it works it should be worth...)

Regards
Old 12-29-2011

westyswoods
Default TT for Hearing Impaired

WGEGb,

Just to let you know I will send an extended reply later today. Sorry you have been unable to make it work, sounds all too familiar.

Expect a reply within 24 need to get to work.

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy
Old 12-29-2011

andyinnorway

I just picked up my H2O audio kit from the postoffice today for Ipod shuffle so will be buying a shuffle tomorrow when the stores open. Am going to try lots of things, swimming to talk shows, vienesse waltzes and drum machine beats that match my stroke at different stages of the stroke cycle.

Will be selling my finis bone conduction gear on ebay as its really disappointed me, sounds ok underwater but like a railway tannoy above water, hard to control and....yuck a few more things I don't recall.
Old 12-30-2011

westyswoods
Default TT for hearing impaired

WFEGb,

To this point in time I am very happy with the following set up.

H20 Audio waterproof MP3 player. This fits to the google strap and is hard wired to the earbuds. Has a plus minus volume control also can pause, advance or reverse tracks.

There are a couple of different variations on their web site I have the one which uses the nano shuffle, shape is long and slender. Don't know the exact generation.

To your point of the sellers look of horror when asked if it could be used in water. Funny got the same reaction when I was researching systems. I ended up purchasing mine from a company called Swimman the actually waterproof the Nanos. Unnecessary expense and not user friendly for swimming.

Go with a regular nano shuffle and my suggestion would be to plan on using it only for swimming as too much stuff on it may be hard to wade through.

The tracks you make will most likely need to be custom to you. We actually tried several different tones in the same ranges, amazing how I could hear some great and others not at all.

My audiologist told me that for my loss bone conduction would not work, naturally I had to test it and she was correct.

I could put the TT right at my ear on dry land and barely hear the beeps. Frustrating to say the least as individuals think your kidding them.

I hope that ANDYINORWAY chimes in here as he just received his H20 the other day. From his post he is a professional musician. Andy are you out there.

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy
Old 12-30-2011

westyswoods
Default Music Apps for MP3

Andy what would a good application be for a Mac OS. The only thing I am interested in doing is producing different iterations for the TT.

As I see it the difficulty is getting the tempo in a format or time frame of .00 second increments.

Any suggestions would be appreciated as I went to our local tech college seeking some young minds to help. No response yet.

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy
Old 12-30-2011

andyinnorway

Westy

I haven't had a chance to try the H2o kit yet as caught a cold on the flight back from the uk and pool closed a lot this week anyway.

If you already have some audio files that you are happy with and just want to make some faster or slower tempos for them then any free sound editor would do the job for you.

audacity is popular and available on OsX.

It has a function for shrinking or stretching the tempo of a file without altering the pitch, then you just need to do the maths to work out the % change for each TT setting you require.

e.g. If you have a file with 20 beats at TT 1.0 then that would be a 20s file. You can then shrink the time to 95% of the original and you will then have 20 beats at a TT setting of 0.95; the program will let you export your changes to mp3 and you can make short or long files depending on your requirements.

The audiologist you used would probably do it all in Logic Pro as he can then just change the tempo of the 'music' he created for you and export the files with better sound quality and more quickly. Logic is a bit expensive for this type of one off job.

Like you say though, I would think with the shuffle you would only want to have a few files on it at a time to avoid confusion, or you would need the tempo spoken at the start so that you could scroll up and down as desired.
Old 12-30-2011

westyswoods
Default TT for hearing impaired

Andy,

Thanks for the reply I kind of understand what you explained.

The tracks I have produced do have a voice over with the tempo for each change. There is no way I could distinguish 1.30 from 1.28 or the .00 progression without this feature.

I did look at Logic Pro but have come to the same conclusion you mention, it being quite expensive for doing what I want.

Hope you are feeling better soon. Is the price of butter still out of this world in Norway? Being from the dairy state hard to believe.

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy