Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2011

westyswoods
Default 25 meters vs 25 yds

How does one say man I was stupid other than saying it and laughing about it?

Story is. Five years ago after a total knee replacement I decided to start swimming again post a long hiatus. Closest pool is twelve miles away and very nice not crowded. My goal was to swim to my grave, knowing it would be nice if I did not struggle to swim. Never paid one bit of attention to anything other than getting from one end to the other.

Enter TOTAL IMMERSION. Attended a weekend workshop three and half years ago and became captivated by the concept of swimming with a purpose. The journey started.

Two years ago the local High School opened a saline based pool and I started swimming there also, splitting time between the two pools.

I always seemed to feel a little more balanced and efficient in the new environment. My SPL's have always been one or two strokes lower in the saline than the chlorinated.

Through my great thought process I attributed it to the extra buoyancy the new pool.

A couple of weeks ago my wife did a couple of video tapings for me one at each of the two pools. She commented of cuff that one seemed longer than the other. Nope was my comment just one is much more open and light than the other, both are twenty five yards.

The following Monday swim at the chlorinated pool I was talking with the Director and made mention that I just couldn't get the same SPL's here as in the Poynette pool. The look, the smile and the comment, "Really you want to know why?" I mentioned I thought it was due to the difference in pool solutions. "Well it may have something to do with this being a meter pool."

Mystery solved. Three years later and many laps later I finally figured it out.
Good thing it wasn't the other way around.

Swim Silent
Be Well
Know Pool Length
Westy
Old 08-02-2011

bx

D'oh!

Pools ought to have signs with the length. I've never seen one. They always have signs for the depth. They're being dimensionalist.