BradMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewa.swimmer View Post
Many different reasons to wear a cap
  • keep your head warm
  • keep hair out of the way
  • assigned by race officials to keep track of different heats
  • safety-it's easier to see a bright color in the water

They are made of different materials, neoprene, silicone, latex, spandex.

I don't think wearing a cap is going to make much difference in your speed in an open water swim.
Thanks for the feedback. I'll be in fairly warm water and my hair won't be a problem. The safety part is a good point but I wonder if they are required based on your third point. Guess I better find out!
Old 03-03-2010
dinah

in my experience, caps are issued and are compulsory in ow swims. you may want to find out before hand and get used to wearing one! good luck!

dinah
Old 03-03-2010

naj

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinah View Post
in my experience, caps are issued and are compulsory in ow swims. you may want to find out before hand and get used to wearing one! good luck!

dinah
Your right Dinah, and if its a US Masters swim then you are going to have to wear one whether you like it or not. The latex one's stay on the head more sung but pull at the scalp and the silicone ones are more gentle on the scalp but tend to slip in my experience, but that's just me.
Old 03-12-2010

BradMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBarra View Post
tough technically a river, the damed sections of the colorado near austin function more like lakes. if this is one of the ASA events organized by keith bell and sandy neilson-bell, you will be good hands.
have fun.
From their website:

The historic water temperature in Lady Bird Lake has ranged between 68-70 for this race the past 7 years.

Is Lady Bird Lake safe to swim in? Why is swimming not usually allowed?

Swimming is not usually allowed in Lady Bird Lake because there there are risks with a fairly swift current at many times — depending on the flow of the dam — and it is an unguarded body of water. Normally it's not legal to swim in Lady Bird Lake.

It is swimmable, however, with special permission from the City Council (as obtained for The Money Box Cap 2k). For this race the LCRA will have the dam shut off and the current will be considerably less than usual.
Old 02-18-2012

BradMM

I posted this almost three years ago and now I'm contemplating finally DOING it. Last time, our house got flooded with sewage the night before when the City's line backed up. I didn't get the notices of subsequent swims but I got one today. I've got some time to prepare and I like the idea of this goal.

Brad