Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Outside the Box: Open Water Swimming
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2010

BradMM
Default My FIRST OW - Part Deux

Okay, I have more info on the event in May. It's going to be colder than I expected, 68-70 F. I have a dive skin, should I even consider wearing it or is it too much drag? My pool is normally 82-84 F... that quite a difference.

I mainly wanted to ask what I should be doing to prepare in terms of training. Today, because I've still been kind of iffy about the shoulder, I swam 10 minutes just my normal slow crawl stroke but the last 30 minutes I swam up just on my back (all legs and no arms) and back full out crawl. I'm a lot faster for some reason after I've done a length on my back first. I thought it would give my legs a good workout but give my shoulder a break.
Old 03-12-2010

naj
Default Sounds like warm waters to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMM View Post
Okay, I have more info on the event in May. It's going to be colder than I expected, 68-70 F. I have a dive skin, should I even consider wearing it or is it too much drag? My pool is normally 82-84 F... that quite a difference.
Brad, is this a fresh water swim? If it is then I've got news for you that 68-70F water is going to feel like its 63-65F.

Why?

Because for some reason fresh water feels colder than slat water even at the same temperature. If it's a salt water environment then whatever the water temp is will be what it is.

That being said, if you have issues with the cold then you might want to consider a swim rash guard, it'll keep your arms warm, but as long as your core is okay then you have nothing to worry about. Will you be cold if you go naked (i.e.without a floatie/wetsuit)? Sure you will, but if you get some open water swimming in a similar environment before the race you can acclimatize. In fact, it may only take a week or more to do so. I can't say for certain because I don't know how you react to cold water. As for myself, the warmest open water I swim in is 60F in the dead of summer. Today it was 54F and I've been averaging an hour a day in it with no problems, but I swim year round. But if this gives you hope, I am 6'1 and weigh a whopping 175lbs! So if you can get passed the mental aspect of the cold you should be okay.

Believe me on this one thing if no other, you'd be amazed at what your body can do when its put in certain situations. I wish you all the best in your training and I'm sure you'll do well.

Keep Swimming!
Naji
Old 03-12-2010

BradMM

We have a river that originates on campus that's a constant 72 degrees year round. I might be a baby but I usually tolerate that OK. I just didn't know if it was a concern for my first OW swim. Probably, the adrenaline will take care of that!
Old 03-13-2010

naj

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMM View Post
We have a river that originates on campus that's a constant 72 degrees year round. I might be a baby but I usually tolerate that OK. I just didn't know if it was a concern for my first OW swim. Probably, the adrenaline will take care of that!
I'm sure you'll be fine Brad, but do try to get some ow time in beforehand if it is a concern.
Old 03-13-2010

BradMM

Thanks for your support!
Old 03-16-2010

BradMM
Default Naj!

Naj, I wanted to send you a message regarding my post. Could you please send me one since yours is blocked?

Thanks!
Old 03-17-2010

Hookem

Sounds like a fun swim, I might even sign up. I would practice swimming in Barton Springs or Deep Eddy pool to see if you can get used to the water. Sounds like you are in San Marcos, so swimming in the river there would probably be good practice, although I think it is a little warmer (I am doing a triathlon there in mid-April).

Good luck!
Old 03-17-2010

BradMM

San Marcos River is a constant 72 degrees year round so I will get in there in April. I used to try to swim in one spot against the current but I got sick pretty quickly. Maybe coincidental but I was thinking about all the duck poop and other biologicals going in my mouth from swimming against the current. Haven't done it since.