Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Swim Your Way to Health
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2009

BradMM
Default eczema and chlorine

About two years ago, I started having problems with allergies. About a year ago, I started having problems with eczema. I have read that the two are related. The eczema had basically gone away but, since I've been swimming more, it seems to creeping back.

Any suggestions? I guess I need to use my moisturizer after swimming more regularly. Maybe even beforehand? I consulted Dr. Google and read something about Lavender Balm but didn't know if that was biased (may have been an herbal website) or good info.

Last edited by BradMM : 08-16-2009 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-16-2009

Rhoda

I get eczema under my goggles, but only under the left eye. Comes and goes, don't know why.
My hairdresser tells me that a clarifying shampoo will remove chlorine and pool chemicals from hair. Maybe you could try using it as a body wash after swimming to remove the chemicals from your skin and then apply a neutral skin cream such as Glaxal Base.
Old 08-16-2009

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMM View Post
About two years ago, I started having problems with allergies. About a year ago, I started having problems with eczema. I have read that the two are related. The eczema had basically gone away but, since I've been swimming more, it seems to creeping back.

Any suggestions? I guess I need to use my moisturizer after swimming more regularly. Maybe even beforehand? I consulted Dr. Google and read something about Lavender Balm but didn't know if that was biased (may have been an herbal website) or good info.
Also maybe try probiotic supplements.
Old 08-17-2009

elskbrev
Default excema and allergy to tree nuts

BradMM,

Last Fall, coincident with my first red-cross swim lessons, I broke out with a minor case of numular excema--three dime sized spots on upper arms and side of neck. It had nothing to do with chlorine, however, but rather with tree nuts.

For the past 15 years, I have found a direct correlation between my excema breakouts and eating even a trace of tree nuts. Last Fall, I happened to come in contact with tree nuts at a birthday party in August and again in a chocolate dessert I enjoyed while on vacation in late October. My swim lessons commenced in mid September.

The incident was typical for me--each excema spot resolved spontaneously within six (6) weeks, as always, without treatment, when I finally diligently avoided eating tree nuts.

I have not had an excema breakout since, though I began swimming regularly again in Apr-09. Neither have I, to my knowledge eaten any tree nuts since last Fall. (I can eat all the peanuts I want--they're a legume.)

This "allergy" may run in my family. My dad got 20 lbs of in-the-shell tree nuts at Christmas, and after eating them daily for a time, he started to break out in excema. Couldn't figure out why. This might be an age thing, too. My dad has eaten tree nuts all his life with no problem, but now at 70... I, too, was never allergic to anything throughout my 20's, but started to see the occasional excema in my early 30's. It was years before I made the connection between tree nuts and the occasional appearance of numular excema. One more reason I am careful what I eat.

It might be worth a try to avoid tree nuts for at least three months and see if your excema improves. You will have to read ALL labels. Traces of tree nuts are suspect even in foods with no tree nuts in the formula--most energy bars, chocolate products, bakery.
Old 08-17-2009

BradMM

Thanks for the tip! Unless I've changed, nuts have never been a problem but I'll keep it in mind. I read that it is related to your immune system and it seemed to crop up after having the flu. Now that I'm long past that, the problem is minor but I did want to see if I should be doing anything special regarding chlorine.

Thanks again!

Brad
Old 08-17-2009

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by elskbrev View Post
It might be worth a try to avoid tree nuts for at least three months and see if your excema improves.
Food allergies are part of the reason why probiotics might be helpful. Intestinal bacteria are involved with inflammatory responses and of course digestion. There is mixed information about how effective it is, so do your own research. It's just something to consider.
Old 01-13-2010

ronnier
Default eczema under eyes

I can relate. tried everything and this works for me right now. no chemicals in soaps, washing clothes ect. I use a orange selenium sulfide shampoo the Dr will give you a script. And use hydrocorizone cream, if that doesn't clear it up get 0.01 Fluocinolone topical oil. that will clear it up fast. be careful and not use long term. Before swimming use mineral oil on body, aveeno/eucerin cream (oil base) on face and after swim. Go to the pool that has the lowest chlorine level, its the chlorine that flares it up due to the excessive drying of sensitive skin. Stay out of cold whether and use a humidifer in home. Keep it 35 to 45. 50 will be too much humidity and cause your windows to sweat. hope this helps, Ronnie

Last edited by ronnier : 08-04-2010 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Apply lotion/oil after swim not before and please shower before swim.
Old 01-16-2010

as

definitely use moisturizer immediately after you shower after every swim. at least that!