Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2017

tomoy

Random thoughts because this caught my eye and I felt like posting.

Heart Rate (HR) is tough to peak in water because the heart doesn't have to pump 5-ft up to the brain. Blood travels more easily when horizontal in water than upright when running.

Having said that, at my 54, I often find myself in the 150-180 HR zone. For many years I took it very easy, relishing finding the TI form at a slow pace around HR 140. Only after a checkup with a cardiologist declared me totally fit, did I decide to let myself chase sprinting, gradually, carefully. It's fun. In fact, I may be even better "designed" for sprinting than distance. Still not sure about that.

I agree that 4 days/week would be enough. Only not all of them should be similar. I prefer to alternate and rotate through technical, sprint and distance sessions. But do ask if you can go longer, harder on half your workouts. Or you could do 6 days a week, just make sure you alternate in easier practices to let your body recover.
Old 12-16-2017

Tom Pamperin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoy View Post
I agree that 4 days/week would be enough. Only not all of them should be similar. I prefer to alternate and rotate through technical, sprint and distance sessions. But do ask if you can go longer, harder on half your workouts. Or you could do 6 days a week, just make sure you alternate in easier practices to let your body recover.
tomoy,

thanks for the comment. I may have discovered a "wall" of sorts this week, when I did 4 hard (for me) days in a row, two of which were immediately after a 30-minute weight lifting session. I saw steady gains on days 1-3, and then couldn't match that on my 4th day, when I went a bit backward.

Next week, I think I'll do 2 hard days, one technical/"easy" day, and then two more hard days--that break in the middle, I'm guessing, will boost my performance on the following hard days.

Good point about not doing the same thing on each hard day, too. Thanks!