Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2012

jenson1a
Default The Video is Never As Good As You Think!

Hopefully I have uploaded this to you tube correctly, but would like some suggestions to improve what I am currently doing.

I have been swimming the last few months without a 2bk and trying to keep my legs quiet. (Was doing some HUGE scissors kicks). Also have been working on breathing (1 goggle in water--still need improvement)

Can't believe what I am doing with my arms. I am trying to keep a high elbow, but I think I need to have my hand enter closer to my head??

I have had a very bad head cold, so I followed suggestions in the blog about swimming slower. The cold has been in the nasal areas and sinus, so I get winded pretty quickly. Anyway that is a temporary problem.

Will consider any or all suggestions

link is (and I am keeping my fingers crossed) http://youtu.be/ny863_pVPcg

Sherry
Old 12-19-2012

mjm
Default Arms Cross Over

Sherry: you form is good! You have got a nice horizontal position in the water. Your arms cross over the midline of your body when you spear forward and especially when you breathe.

That is hard to correct so you may want your camera person to watch and give you feedback. Get your spearing arm extended straight out from your shoulder with your fingers pointing straight at the wall where you are headed.

Also you might speed up your tempo a little. It is hard to walk much less swim at an extremely slow tempo. Good luck.

mjm
Old 12-19-2012

tomoy

Hi Sherry - yeah, getting good there. Quick thought - your right arm has a good elbow-leading motion, but your left arm could use work. I see the hand leading most of the recovery on the left. Otherwise pretty good!
Old 12-19-2012
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Hi Sherry, you've improved considerably since the last video I saw a couple-ish months ago. To add to mjm and tomoy, your right recovery arm and entry is quite nice especially between 0:04-0:05. But suspect balance on left skate is your stronger side since you breath right shoulder. Left recovery arm you are lifting from elbow then swinging arm forward causing it to sweep and drift to center as mjm noted see 0:05-0:06. You are actually using this swinging left arm as pendulum to drive rotation to get your breath on right shoulder. And too much head out of the water on breath - losing head-spine alignment.

1. Work on more right side skate balance, skate and swing skate drills.
2. Add more strokes between breaths, breathe on 4's rather than always on 2's. Establish symmetry side to side before the breathing.
3. Swing left recovery elbow wide and enter nearer to your head - no more sweep to center.
4. Use sweet-spot breathing drill and nodding drills to imprint head spine alignment on breath.
Old 12-19-2012
Coach

CoachToddE

Sherry,

I agree with mjm, your form is looking good and on the right track. Your kick is very calm with little splaying of the legs. Working on keeping them quiet has obviously helped a great deal with eliminating the scissors. Your are in a good position to start learning the 2bk at some point.

Your balance looks good from above but really need an underwater shot to really get a good take on this and head position. You are lifting the head a little on the breath and working on the nod, one-eye and pop-eye mouth will help with this. I believe Coach Suzanne has posted on this and is possibly in the breathing section.

The arm recovery is what is needed the most attention at this point. Becuase of you trying to achieve a 'high elbow' on recovery you have compounded the extended reach entry and crossover. Try swinging the elbow out to the side dragging your knuckles in the water. The high elbow or picking the elbow up or over your back creates a lot of tension in the shoulder joint that makes you move your hands in front of the elbows about the time the elbow is even with your shoulders. This repositioning of the hand allows you to extend your arm forward but, you keep your forearm bent as you extend your humerus thus creating the crossover. You need to as mjm points out extend your hand in a direct line in front of your shoulders down into the spear/skate position. The swinging out of your humerus (focussing only on the elbow and not the hand) allows you to be able to push your elbow forward more towards the top of your head. If you have kept your forearm and hand relaxed (marionette arm) then they will be positioned to enter the mail-slot infront of your head but not fully extended out as you are currently doing.

Just saw Tomoy and Coach Stuarts post. Agree but think both arms are lifting up. The high elbow should be thought of in the recovery phase. In addition to Coach Stuart's suggestions I'd add to work on dryland elbow swings by laying on your side in the skate position and swing your elbow out to the side keeping your fingers in contact with the ground until you feel your elbow even with your head and the stretch in your lats. Keeping your fingers in contact with the ground will keep you from lifting your elbow too high.

Keep up the good work.
Old 12-19-2012

nurledge

i think i may have the same problem as Sherry's. my left skating is not as good as my right. Besides doing skating drill, i ve been trying to do bilateral breathing; unfortunately, after few yards, i running out of breathing quickly and have to go back to side breathing again. not to give up quickly, right now i have to mix between them, twice breathing side2side follow by a bilateral breathing in between Dear, coaches, pls advice if this is an ill form of drill.
Old 12-20-2012

CharlesCouturier

You should be proud Sherry, that stroke of yours look awesome.

Nice work!
Old 12-20-2012

andyinnorway
Default Take a look at the freeze frames

Sherry, not sure how how big a pool (or doughnut) you were in but you seemed to take a lot of strokes to get to the other end.

My non coaching eyes see it differently to the others.

For me, by the time you apply the oomph from your rotation and core with your entering hand, your stroking hand is already almost level with you tummy button so you have a very short 'connected' stroke time.

I would hold my 'anchor' longer, you want your elbow to still be in front of your ear when the power hits. then your body will go bam through the water as your balance etc is looking good.

the other picture shows you where your arm should be when the power is applied, I think of a milk maid with a yoke.

You are also tilting your head to breath but don't worry about that till the powertrain is fixed.
Old 12-20-2012

craig.arnold@gmail.com

The video is not as bad as you fear.

Looks good Sherry, you are swimming slower than normal, which accentuates errors and you have a cold.

Considering those two facts, you're showing pretty good form.

Lots of good contributions in the thread, I'd concentrate first on skating with your right arm extended as I think you'll find it tricky. Once you don't anymore your stroke will look a lot better.
Old 12-21-2012

jenson1a

Tks to all the suggestions. Also tks Andy for providing some different insight. Kind of works into what the other 2 coaches suggested in regards to recovery arm and hand entry.

Will let you know how it works out.

Sherry