Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2012

westyswoods
Default Wow Really

"Surely there is not much difference between swimming with a wetsuit and without."

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy
Old 09-01-2012

andyinnorway

My interpretation of the original video was to each e.g. a 1.15/100m swimmer the benefit of drafting by getting them to sit behind a controlled better swimmer and tell the lead swimmer to do a fixed time, in this case around 1.08.

Since drafting has around 15% benefit the second swimmer would be amazed at their time and no doubt get a pool pb at the same time.

The wet suits just take away some of the differences in buoyancy ability to make the exercise easier?

Its amazing how often guys tap your toes in the pool for a length as they try to keep up, then you get a metre on them with a snappier turn and by the end of the 2nd length they are 6metres behind.

They later tell you that they kept up with you no problem until you used your big push off on the second length.
Old 09-01-2012

CharlesCouturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyinnorway View Post
Have you posted a video of Paul N swimming on the Ti forum? Oh La la c'est quoi ca? Its a good question
Would I be bold enough to do this? Nahhhh...

This clip was recorded downtown Montreal in some Olympic size facility (the same that did host the Worlds in 2005), and it features a model with whom I'm putting a dvd project together, for my own seminar concept. Apart from wearing these caps, this project has little if nothing to do with SS.

Quote:
He lifts his head a number of times, could be an open water hangover. For me the rhythm of the stroke isn't TI, where Sun Yang's is, its about apportionment within the stroke cycle, for me at least.
Thanks, it's what I thought.

Quote:
My interpretation of the original video was to each e.g. a 1.15/100m swimmer the benefit of drafting by getting them to sit behind a controlled better swimmer and tell the lead swimmer to do a fixed time, in this case around 1.08.

Since drafting has around 15% benefit the second swimmer would be amazed at their time and no doubt get a pool pb at the same time.
Yeah exactly. It was the idea. Unfortunately, that day, it didn't happen and for a good reason. Swimmer #2 was told that he would have to commit to this exercise too late. He had already trained quite hard in the water, hours before. That day, Swimmer #2's potential for an individual 200m LCM was that he would have done over 2min30. So the drafting exercise allowed him to swim more than 10sec faster. The thing that's sad is that when rested, he can swim 2:20 on his own. Otherwise both would have gone under 2:10, which was my original intent.

The choice of having them wearing a WS is driven by the idea that this clip displays tri-specific open water skills, ie drafting.

Anyway, the reason why I posted this clip is to show smat that work on DPS can pay off.

Thanks to all other interesting comments that were posted (Richards et al). I won't comment them as I don't want to hijack this thread. Back to the OP's preoccupations.

Last edited by CharlesCouturier : 09-01-2012 at 04:38 PM.
Old 09-01-2012

Richardsk

Hi westywoods

Note I said 'not that much difference' not 'not much difference'. I do not think swimmer two would be floundering in the wake of swimmer one if they were both swimming in trunks, jammers or briefs. In a race I would obviously back swimmer one to win, though.

But as Charles says, we mustn't hijack the thread.
Old 09-01-2012
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:

Its the same when you watch kids on skate boards or scooters, the pulse glide glide is obvious.
As I was working with one of my swimmers on his catch, he said that it felt like being on a skateboard!
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 09-01-2012
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesCouturier View Post
studies on weight shifts (presented in a way that's far more understandable than Romanov's theory on Pose Swimming, at least in my opinion),
Romanov makes little sense in regard to swimming...at least in terms of moving forward in the water. I think his methods help people develop a comfort for the water, but any video I've seen, text I've read or person I've talked to regardin gpose swimming simply makes no sense to me (and Ive studied a lot of science).
Fresh Freestyle

Old 09-01-2012
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Hijack...Charles, what software are you using for your frame by frame analysis? (Seen in a different video on your channel...the slomo one?)
Fresh Freestyle

Old 09-01-2012

CharlesCouturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
Hijack...Charles, what software are you using for your frame by frame analysis? (Seen in a different video on your channel...the slomo one?)
I work on Mac, I use iShowU HD, 63$.

What it does really is simple. It records anything that appears on your computer display. Therefore the process of frame by frame analysis involves using, say, Quicktime to play the original clip full screen, then iShowU HD records the whole thing into a new clip file.

Very handy.

As for Romanov, I agree. I get pissed off every time I read his take on swimming. Not everything is to throw to garbage. The concept of support, change of support, could to some extent be compared to weight shifts.

Unfortunately based on my experience, I can't see how the material presented the way it's presented be beneficial for a wide range of swimmers.

I certainly prefer TI's approach to these mysterious phenomenons.
Old 09-02-2012
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesCouturier View Post
I work on Mac, I use iShowU HD, 63$.

What it does really is simple. It records anything that appears on your computer display. Therefore the process of frame by frame analysis involves using, say, Quicktime to play the original clip full screen, then iShowU HD records the whole thing into a new clip file.

Very handy.

As for Romanov, I agree. I get pissed off every time I read his take on swimming. Not everything is to throw to garbage. The concept of support, change of support, could to some extent be compared to weight shifts.

Unfortunately based on my experience, I can't see how the material presented the way it's presented be beneficial for a wide range of swimmers.

I certainly prefer TI's approach to these mysterious phenomenons.
Thanks for both the software info & the opinion. ;)

I use screenflow which captures anything on the screen as well, but I am still (always) looking for the best analysis software without spending an arm and a leg. a $5 iPad app outperforms most desktop software for frame by frame analysis with overlays like lines, angles, side by side cmoparisons, etc.
Fresh Freestyle

Old 09-02-2012

CharlesCouturier

I'm not at your level yet, to say the least. Just performing a live overdub analysis at the mo, it triggers an adrenalin rush LOL

The iPad is a universe I'm anxious to discover.