Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2012

dgk2009
Default hand crossing center line while breathing

still need help breaking myself of this,thought I was improving but new video shows I still do it,what drills would help with this please,my hand crosses center line when I breath.
Old 08-17-2012

Jbparis11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgk2009 View Post
still need help breaking myself of this,thought I was improving but new video shows I still do it,what drills would help with this please,my hand crosses center line when I breath.
I did this exact thing until a TI Coach showed me a video of myself. I now make concious effort to relax my shoulder and chest while extending my lead hand...keeping it in the same position, while almost exaggerating it to the outside. If I visualize my body in this form, my hand seems to stay right on track...straight forward without any braking or misdirection.

I shot another video of it three weeks later...and it everything looks to be in line.

TI...try it, you'll like it.
JB
Old 08-18-2012

daveblt

Also make sure your not over rotating . This could also cause this to happen . Try to stay on wide tracks .

Dave
Old 08-19-2012

tony0000

Conetrate! Concentrate on keeping that lead hand on the target point, even when you turn to breathe! I find that it can require physical effort to keep the lead hand where it should be, so you make have to build up muscles (trap is my guess).

Good luck!

Tony
Old 08-19-2012

dgk2009

I need some damm luck,sick of beating my head against the wall,3 dam years and still cant swim laps,gasping for breath,I just dont get it.
Old 08-19-2012

tony0000

It's challenging. I've been swimming TI for 7 months now and still have to throw in a lap of breast stroke after 100m TI. And I've been swimming all my life.

But if you really want advice on how to get the stroke down, post a video of what you're doing. Then people will be able to give you some useful advice, Without the video, we're all just guessing what the problem is.

Good luck,

Tony
Old 08-19-2012

Jbparis11
Default Relax and breath

Ive been swimming TI for 9 months. Started swimmimg 1+ miles only about two months ago. For me, it was all about learning to relax, balance and finally breath properly.
I was a one length monster until I got those three things down...but they only came one-by-one. I watched Terry's videos over and over, just focusing on one element and them trying emulate that in my practice.
The hardest part was breathing enough to feel relaxed and even regain my composure when making a mistake. The first thing I practiced was rolling into Sweet Spot and just relaxing there for a bit. Breathing out my nose was also vital, or I sucked in a ton of H2O.
You will need to find the breathing pattern that works for you, even if it means breathing to just one side on every other stroke. Get that down, then start breathing every fourth stroke (still to one side). Once you have that, bilateral breathing will be the final step before starting your long distance swims.
Good luck with everything. Just relax your body in the water, breath easy and you'll find that perfect "sweet spot".
Old 08-19-2012

Mike from NS

Quote:
I need some damm luck,sick of beating my head against the wall,3 dam years and still cant swim laps,gasping for breath,I just dont get it.
I have almost completed 5 years since starting TI (and even starting to learn to swim at all - never swam as a child) and it has been only the past 6 months since I started to get it --- the past two months with almost daily swims have done wonders for progress. Now I'm ready to start learning ! This summer the comfort and relaxed states have been found - finally. All I'm saying is, be patient. The rewards are worth all the invested time and frustration. Suddenly it seems to start kicking in !

As for crossing center line ... spear for the X Y point after the high elbow lead and wide tracks.

Last edited by Mike from NS : 08-20-2012 at 12:00 AM.
Old 08-21-2012

dgk2009

hey thanks for the encouragement,I just thought 3 years seemed like a long time and thought I should have gotten it by now,but I never swam in my life untill 3 years ago and have fear of the water,I've gotten much better at the drills but it still does'nt seem to help,just gotta hang in there.
Old 08-21-2012

Jbparis11

Quote:
hey thanks for the encouragement,I just thought 3 years seemed like a long time and thought I should have gotten it by now,but I never swam in my life untill 3 years ago and have fear of the water,I've gotten much better at the drills but it still does'nt seem to help,just gotta hang in there.

hang in there....more time in the water, the better. but don't make it all about drills. just learn to get comfortable, relax, float and breathe. it will make your time much more enjoyable.

if you ever hit SW Virginia - give a shout and we'll swim!