Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2012

CharlesCouturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian mac View Post
Swimust,
Thank you for the compliment, but as usual in your posts, you seem to have missed the point entirely. Just because you don't remember Bernard winning the Olympic Gold Medal doesn't take away from the fact that he did. Since you have a computer you could actually check your facts - opinions are so much worthwhile when based in reality: in the 2008 Olympics, in the 3 events that he competed in he won a gold,silver and bronze.

This will probably come as a complete surprise to you, but before any swimming event at the Olympic level, all the competitors in the final have the physical ability and the mental desire to win. That's why they have the races in the first place. The US 4 x 100 freestyle team had great motivation to want to win, Phelp's possible 8 gold notwithstanding - the French had trash talked them prior to the race. I would rather spin it that Lezak swam the greatest 100 metres of all time and with exceptional technique and in TI fashion, TOOK SUBSTANTIALLY FEWER STROKES than Bernard. In a TI forum, that seems to be more relevant.

You also seem to miss entirely the point of tritri's observations. His two most salient points were "What struck me most is that they trained exactly as Terry describes it in his books. They spent a lot of time working on technique: balance, stroke, etc. From time to time, they used pool toys, kickboards, pull buoys, hand paddles, but never for countless hours. I may be wrong, but I think they used it primarily to focus on specific technical areas, not to build strength or endurance as they only did one or two lengths at a time with the toys, never long series of laps," and secondly,"All swimmers use a high elbow recovery and catch, a patient leading hand, and core body rotation, exactly like TI."

Another point you missed completely (surprise) is the context of the practice. One workout just before the Olympics is not an encapsulation of everything that swimmers do in an entire year. Also there is something at the Olympic level called specificity. Freestyle sprinters practice much differently than middle distance and distance freestylers. Sprinters will do huge amounts of technique oriented work interspersed with bouts of blazing speed for short distances while trying to maintain that technique. Distance swimmers also focus on technique, but tend to practice more on race pace simulations and broken swims. The relevant point is that great swim form makes you as fast as possible.

No one can take away the fact that Michael Phelps has as finely honed a sense of winning as anyone who ever put on a bathing suit. He is the greatest swimming champion ever. I love discussing the mental aspects of competition- but it has nothing to do with the original post.

I took exception to your post for the same reason others on these forums do. Just about everything you write is nonsense. Your comments had no relevance to the wonderful thread posted by tritri, so I wanted to get back on point:TI is relevant at the Olympic level and new swimmers can see that and be inspired.

My father used to rebuke us occasionally to "Engage your brain before disengaging your mouth." Just once, it would be nice if you would do similarly in a post. Read and at least try to understand their point before spouting off your post and try to remain relevant. In my opinion ;-/
ian mac

PS- sorry to the rest of my TI brethren for being so didactic.
I find this reply exceptionally accurate.
Old 07-24-2012

swimust

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesCouturier View Post
I find this reply exceptionally accurate.
By seeing your user name you are probably French I suppose... :)
Full respect ;)
The French Handball national team holds both titles of world champions and Olympic champions... ;)

vive la France! and ignore that 25% ratio success achieved by Alain Bernard in his career. He is a legend and you are correct that I have no clue about what I am talking about, sort of, as if, as if social pressure bothers me in anyway.. :)
the weeds of "our" thoughts... doesnt matter how many people have weeds in their heads, still weeds it remains.

As far as swim is concerned I have no clue really. Imagine spending my life on clubs training and learning their terms just for the sake of feeling smart and in the know... the subtle gap between meaning and meaningless.
I like my use of English.. good practice! :) :)
The english practice is much more important to me than the meaningless content of this thread.

p.s. - I am not starting any new threads anymore. This was a reply on existing thread. It doesnt worth the bother. No one here speaks Japanese anyway... ;)

Last edited by swimust : 07-24-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-24-2012

pgabus

I don't know if it's possible to see this video from outside the France :
http://www.alainbernard-lesite.com/i...=151&video=990
(video from 2012 french trials)

Last edited by pgabus : 07-25-2012 at 06:50 AM.
Old 07-24-2012

Richardsk

The link works here in the UK

Clearly the French team and fans are glad to have him along. It would be great if he found himself up against Lezak in the relay again, although not very likely I suppose.

That relay in Beijing is one of the greatest races of all time, I think, along with the one where the South Africans win and the one where the Aussies win.

On paper the Aussies should win again, but paper is unreliable.
Old 07-29-2012

pgabus

Gold ;-)
Old 07-29-2012

DD_l_enclume

Ho man, that last 50 !
Awesome !
Old 07-29-2012

Richardsk

Allez France!
Old 07-29-2012

newbie2012

But no Alain Bernard in the foursome ... guess he was out of shape in the end :)))
Old 07-29-2012
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Tritri
Thanks so much for sharing those highly illuminating observations with us. France took back the 4 x 100 gold from US today, in almost identical fashion. I didn't have a chance to see the race and the news report didn't mention who swam for France. I suppose Bernard was on that relay? If so, what leg?

And where were you when you had the opportunity to watch that practice? Was that happenstance or by plan?

What you described does indeed sound very much like a practice during the final stages of taper. I had the opportunity to watch the '72 US Men's Olympic team do a practice at West Point where they were being processed and uniformed prior to departing for Munich - so yes Mark Spitz was there. At the conclusion of the practice several of them were 'playing' on the starting blocks, doing a start such as I'd never seen. They would dive high in the air, then pike and enter the water at a steep angle, then shoot far out underwater. No one used that start during the Olympics, but several years it replaced the traditional flatter start and was called the "Slink."

Four years later I watched the American Women's Olympic Team (at the time, the mens and women's teams remained completely separate) practice at West Point prior to driving up the NYS Thruway to Montreal. I recall one of the women - can't recall her name now, but she was the top US backstroker of the time - displaying a petulant attitude. She was evidently unhappy with the coaching (since then USA Swimming has made it a practice to invite team members' home coaches to the domestic training camp, before the team goes overseas). It was no surprise when she had a poor meet.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 07-30-2012

tritri

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post
Thanks so much for sharing those highly illuminating observations with us. France took back the 4 x 100 gold from US today, in almost identical fashion. I didn't have a chance to see the race and the news report didn't mention who swam for France. I suppose Bernard was on that relay? If so, what leg?
Hi Terry,

Alain Bernard was not on the relay, he was replaced by another swimmer. The race was fantastic, the last leg was epic! Yannick Aniel, the last relayer, despite starting one meter behind Ryan Lochte, never rushed his stroke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post
And where were you when you had the opportunity to watch that practice? Was that happenstance or by plan?
The French Olympic team spent one week training at my local pool. One of the training sessions was open to the public, and i jumped on the opportunity to watch elite swimmers practice.

I saw in another thread that you plan to go to Germany next year. If you give a TI training camp I'll do my best to be there!