Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Outside the Box: Open Water Swimming
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2012

WFEGb
Default How to find a recovery stroke?

Hallo,

well, I'm a pure pool swimmer, but I think this topic could be a typical OW one...

When time enough I'm able to swim for 30-40minutes. Then I become shattered. A pause of 1-2minutes at the pool edge and can go on for some further minutes. That's not possible in OW when swimming for hours and hours. I'm sure you have a recovery stroke, swimming it for a few minutes an then go on refreshed...

But how and where can I find "my" recovery stroke? Swimming for half an hour has to be done in a relative small bandwidth (TT 1.34 with SPL 44-46 to TT1.45 with SPL41-44). And there is no recovery for me. It's just possible to swim such a "long" (lol allowed) time.

Regards,
Werner
Old 05-22-2012

andyinnorway

Werner,

It sounds like you have found your 'jogging' pace but not your walking pace which is why you can managed a long swim (45 minutes) but not an all day swim.

I think the answer is in balance comfort.

I am similar to you, I think I can currently do 75 minutes but definitely not 4 hours.

I guess once we learn to stop using energy on maintaining a float position then the easy walking swimming comes too?
Old 05-22-2012

janedoemuc
Default How to find a recovery stroke?

I think it is more a mental game. I think that there is no big difference between 30 minutes swimming or 45 minutes or 90 minutes or 4 hours. If you would not have the choice to stop I bet you both would be able to swim it. IMO you automatically adjust your tempo to the distance (and according to your capabilities). Only my 2 cents. Cheers. janedoemuc
Old 05-22-2012

WFEGb

Hallo Andy,

think you're right. Balance comfort would be fine for the "normal" march-swim too.

Sometimes I get a (too) small recovery when rolling up to stacked shoulders using it for some long inhales. But it's not alwas repeatable.

Hi Janedoemuc,

not sure, if you're right. How could that mentaly aspect be trained? Well, think I would'nt drown if there's no pool edge. Breaststroke might be an escape, but my goal is a continues freestyle.

Best regards,
Werner