Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2011

gladtobedifferent
Default Goggles!!

I found that my aqua's let loads of water in in open water - so tightened them. Aqua kayennes let water in regularly for me and last friday it halved my swim time in the pool and had to go to the doctors to get eye drops.

I had relaxed the fit of them as had read that doing them too tight lead to leaking. WHat i have discovered is that it is all about getting making the seal sit on your eyes properly before you set off.

I bought a pair of predator flex on saturday and got given a pair of aqau face googles - which I like despite the fact that you look ridiculous in them. Havent tried them but due to where they sit not sure how they would get water in.....

cant believe something as simple as a pair of goggles has cost me 75 pounds and I still dont have the perfect answer !! You would think they would sell goggles by face size/type as peoples faces are not universal as all the comments on goggles working for one person and not for another testify to !!
Old 08-15-2011

dshen

I learned a tip a while back to always open up googles at the store and try them on before buying. You can usually tell if the eye cups fit if you put them around the eyes and press them gently for light suction. If they do not slowly pop off, then they should be ok.

Different manufacturers use different curves/shapes for the eye cups and mask edges too. Sometimes your face structure won't fit a certain manufacturer no matter what.

Aquasphere Kaimans fit me perfectly and i never buy anything else now. Yeah it also cost me a lot of money in the beginning to find out though...sometimes it will seem to fit in the store but then still leak in the pool. I've also had defects in new Kaimans where the eye cups were deformed. But generally Kaimans work well for me but it took some time and $ to figure that out.
Old 08-15-2011

TomsOfSpain

I can’t more than agree – always do the test for suction in the shop. They should stay on, even so, not a guarantee for not leaking once in the pool.

Currently I use a mask, and do all my swimming in a pool. Not a drop of water is leaking in; I can concentrate on swimming. I’m quite happy with the no-brand, inexpensive (10 €), mask! Much better than the expensive Darth Vader looking mask (black and silver) by Arena that filled with water at every flip turn!
Old 08-16-2011

gladtobedifferent
Default Trying !

So have a second hand old pair of aqua masks that I am going to try later today to see how I get on......oh to not have problems with goggles and be able to just swim !