Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2011

seungew
Default Criss-Cross: any advice h20 pals :)

Greetings my swimming pals :)

Its been awhile since i've visited the TI forum but have since always tried to keep the TI principles in mind when I swim. But like most people who take video of themselves for the first time swimming, it is quite the eye opener.

Well... I finally got my to wife to do some live footage of me at my local pool.
And I have to say I was disappointed to say the least in the footage of what I thought my stroke looked like. Soooo.... I've placed the 2 links here from YouTube where ANY feedback would be very WELCOME.

The 2 big things I noticed was my MAJOR arm cross over even though I'm imagining in my happy little imaginary head "wide rail skating" upon entry and SPLAYED leg action when I'm imagining kicking from the hips and my legs in are in a tube. I apologize for the absence of an under water clip as our camera only does dryland.

...enough of my blah blah blah.. and on with my sorry excuse for what not to do in TI.

FRONT footage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jwjK...el_video_title

SIDE footage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4_zU...el_video_title

Oh ... and "Thanks a Bunch" in advance for taking the time to critique my swimming.

~seungew~
Old 06-13-2011

borate

Quote:
Originally Posted by seungew View Post
The 2 big things I noticed was my MAJOR arm cross over even though I'm imagining in my happy little imaginary head "wide rail skating" upon entry and SPLAYED leg action when I'm imagining kicking from the hips and my legs in are in a tube.
The crossover is likely a prime contributor to the splayed legs. Trace a straight line during recovery, from exit near the hip to entry just in front or slightly wide of the shoulder.
Then stretch out as the body roll completes. The lead arm need not be absolutely straight - say 170 degrees - but the silhouette should be streamlined.

Lead with the elbow and keep it higher than wrist, as you do now. But dangle the forearm easily, with fingers just above the surface, and enter gently, with hand relaxed. When it's time to pull, use the entire forearm - elbow to hand.

Precisely where to enter and how deep to spear will vary somewhat with the swimmer. This will affect balance which, in your case, appears to be pretty good.

Last edited by borate : 06-13-2011 at 09:20 PM.
Old 06-14-2011

seungew

Thanks Borate : )

I find I swim best or at least most comfortable when I have a visual tool. And lately they seem to change for me from time to time.

I'm a big advocate of visualization, which I know works best for me because I notice during my breathing and effort in the water. Sometimes I'll be swimming and I'll get into an effortless rhythm and my mind quickly associates it to an image. Like one that has usually worked well for me was when I picture my hands are anvils which weight into the water so upon every entry it feels like your hand is anchoring to the pool floor and your body is being propelled forward. Yeah these images seem to just create a good flow for me in the water.

I have tried to think of your advice as carrying a brief case and handing it off to somebody in front of me to mimic the dangling forearm from the elbow during the recovery phase. And upon entry I try to think about a hockey check to drive that elbow high right away so that I am doing my best to utilize my forearm and hand like a paddle.

If you can or anybody else can think of some good visual aids for me to keep in mind for my stroke I'd appreciate it.

Cheers~
Old 06-14-2011

armagh

Try using the lane line at the bottom of the pool as a visual aid. Center your body on the line and have each hand enter outside the black lane tiles. Should help in keeping your head in a neutral position and wide track.
Old 06-14-2011

seungew

Thanks armagh - that's good advice, I never thought of it that way actually in those terms, but yeah, that would help. The only thing is the pool I go in usually means sharing the lane with at least 1 or 2 people so usually the to be respectful of others I just choose a side. But the next time I have an empty lane I'll give 'er a shot for sure. Cool! : )

~seungew~
Old 06-15-2011

naj

If you are sharing the lane and can't use the black line as a reference, then visualize each re-entry as going along a railroad track that your arm shoots along. When Terry first told me about "wide tracks" this is what i had envisioned and every time I go from the left or right skate, I imagine that my whole right or left side is shooting along a railroad track. You won't need the black line to make you go straight if your arms are just outside your shoulder.
Old 06-15-2011

seungew

Thanks Naj : ) I appreciate your visualization tip about the railroad tracks. I'll have to try it for awhile and see how consistent I am with it.

I do find it thought provoking how some visualization images work more effectively than others. And I think it might have to do with muscle memory that your limbs have for certain images that make some images more or less effective than others.

Thoughts?
Old 06-16-2011

HydraFx
Default Skate

Sometimes we want to swim our way to correct balance, streamline, and propulsion but TI gives us the pathway through the excercises or drills.
When we skate or practice the drills we eliminate many variables that cause NOISE. We can overswitch and pause, exploring our "wide track" position. We can adjust the X Y coordinates. When comfortable we move towards whole stroke.
Prior to completing the instructors course I took a series of private TI lessons over a month. I am 52 and have been swimming and "working out" in the pool for all my life. When my instructor gave me my homework for the week she added, and by the way...Don't Swim, just do the drills. I stopped dead in my tracks, but didn't say a word. It was very humbling, but I was determined to achieve effortless swimming. At the end of the month I was itching to swim, and I did, but It was mindful practice first- workout second.
Try to master the drill that is appropriate. Visualization is very good but imprinting is neural feedback that broadens our mind and helps develop awareness...whole stroke awareness.
Take the time your worth it .
Old 06-16-2011

seungew

Thanks HydraFx, I appreciate your wise perspective and stepping back from what we know even down to "imprinted" movements that I previously mentioned may not be in context to moving effortlessly in the water and therefore diligent practise of the TI drills is necessary to move closer to an effortless stroke.

..good reminder : )