Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Outside the Box: Open Water Swimming
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2010

BradMM
Exclamation Two weeks away

I haven't been able to train as much as I would have liked but I think the only benefit to training at this point might be to my confidence and a slight impact on my time. I'm confident that I can do the 2K distance but, never having done an OW before, I would like to feel that I prepared adequately. I'm not concerned about the time as long as they don't pull me.

The real point of this post is that, when I train, I've been doing a lot of kicking on my back, no arms, to (1) focus on leg training and (2) preserve my shoulder. What I've noticed for some time is that, when I flip back over onto my stomach, my whole stroke has improved dramatically and my kick is BETTER AND STRONGER, not worse from having relied totally on it.

I don't understand it but it works. I was thinking yesterday that I may flip over on my back during the OW swim once in a while to get my body back in sync. I've had a few workouts where I'd do one length face down and the return length face up for the entire workout, approx 40 minutes. No fatigue problems at all.

Any thoughts?

Brad
Old 04-18-2010

BradMM

Old 04-19-2010

Brad evans

Watch out not to further stress out your shoulder if you're doing laps with your arms outstretched holding a kick board...
Old 04-19-2010

BradMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad evans View Post
Watch out not to further stress out your shoulder if you're doing laps with your arms outstretched holding a kick board...
I never use a kickboard but I do swim on my back, as I explained, with no arm assistance. I think it pretty much accomplishes the same thing but with my body more in the line it would be in while swimming normally. I've always thought that kickboards put your body in an unnatural alignment.

Brad
Old 04-19-2010

KatieK

Anytime you can feel more relaxed in the water, you're going to swim better and with less fatigue. It sounds like the back kicking drill is accomplishing that for you.

I'm concerned, though, that you're doing it to save your shoulder and strengthen your kick. If your shoulder is hurting, there's some problem with your form that's causing that--maybe your lead arm is crossing the center line.

Also, why are you trying to strengthen your kick? Do you feel like you need to kick harder to keep from sinking? If so, that might be a problem with the lead arm not being patient enough.

A video would help diagnose those things. I haven't done an OW swim yet either, so I don't have anything to offer on that front. I'll be interested to hear about your experience afterwards. It sounds like you'll do great. Good luck!
Old 04-19-2010

BradMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieK View Post
Anytime you can feel more relaxed in the water, you're going to swim better and with less fatigue. It sounds like the back kicking drill is accomplishing that for you.
Like I said, fatigue is not a problem. I work as hard as I can... it's supposed to be exercise!

Quote:
I'm concerned, though, that you're doing it to save your shoulder and strengthen your kick. If your shoulder is hurting, there's some problem with your form that's causing that--maybe your lead arm is crossing the center line.
Nope... I've been to a chiro twice and he said no pathology. I used to do a lot of chins/pullups but I've stopped for now... until after my ow swim just in case. It's not "pain" per se, just a twinge that shouldn't be there.

Quote:
Also, why are you trying to strengthen your kick? Do you feel like you need to kick harder to keep from sinking? If so, that might be a problem with the lead arm not being patient enough.
To go faster!

Quote:
Good luck!
Thanks!
Old 04-19-2010

Alex-SG

BRAD: Just 2 thoughts on my side if this is your 1st OW Swim...

1. Backstroke. May be OK to resynch your kicking once in a while but do not swim too much back stroke. I tried last time in an OPEN Water MILE and I was swimming 45degrees off target

2. Navigation Skills. Important to focus on swimming straight.
Either take regular looks at the Target Buoy or swim next to people who swim straight. Also good to be comfortable breathing on both sides because people around you may be on your right or on your left. I usually swim very straight when I find a fast BREAST-Stroke Swimmer whose pace is similar to mine.

Good luck. ALEX
Old 04-19-2010

BradMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex-SG View Post
1. Backstroke. May be OK to resynch your kicking once in a while but do not swim too much back stroke. I tried last time in an OPEN Water MILE and I was swimming 45degrees off target
Not back stroke, just legs on my back... but point taken,

Thanks, Alex, I can breathe on both sides when needed and I do plan on just following the herd.
Old 05-31-2010

BradMM
Angry

I thought I posted this but I guess not...?

I didn't get to do my first OW swim because the City sewer line backed up into my house the night before the event. We're the low spot on the block so, when the line clogged, it backed up into my house. I had to open the cleanout on the back of the house to minimize the amount of raw sewage that went into my house but hundreds of gallons went into my back yard. In Texas, there's a law passed that prevents the City from being liable so, after we paid our $1400 deductible, the insurance picked up the rest. Now our insurance will probably go up, too!

I don't think I would have been very focused if I had tried it but the immediate need was to start cleanup process because we were also close to leaving for Bonaire (back now) so, as it turned out, it took all that time to get everything done before we left... just barely finished.

Anyway, I was not extremely confident to begin with and now I still don't have my first one under my belt.

Oh, well.

Brad