Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Coach Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: This focus of a workshop...
Interests me now- I have become more efficent but want to kick it up a bit 18 69.23%
Interests me for the future 8 30.77%
isn't for me- I'm still working on the basics of form and balance and don't want to rush it 2 7.69%
I have further questions about the format and focus before signing up 1 3.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-10-2009
Coach

CoachJohnB

As an observer to the pool sessions on Saturday, I believe the students knowledge changing "gears" has been greatly enhanced by Dave's knowledge and leadership.

The students arrived with good fundemental understanding of the T.I. ideas of swimming, yet most didn't been able to translate their smooth, well timed swimming to smooth, well timed, faster swimming.

I certainly do not want to speak for Dave but from my observations, he taught them how to swim faster through controlled movements(weight shifts, spearing, kicking timing) than most of them would have dreamed possible.

While the tempo trainer aided in their transformation from sleek, smooth swimmers to sleeker, smoother, faster swimmers by helping them develop different cadences, I really believe the biggest changes came from Dave's instance on spearing to the skating position on each switch, not rushing their anchoring arm, breathing earlier, and calming the kick down.

My own swimming in the last two days since listening to Dave lead both workshops has developed a better flow to it, by implementing some of the ideas Dave has passed on to the students from this weekend.

If you have the opporunity to take either a regular T.I. workshop or an advanced workshop that is being lead by Dave Cameron, it will be the best investment for your swimming enjoyment that you can make(I say this as a competitive swimmer)
Old 11-10-2009

elk-tamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJohnB View Post
The students arrived with good fundemental understanding of the T.I. ideas of swimming, yet most didn't been able to translate their smooth, well timed swimming to smooth, well timed, faster swimming.

I certainly do not want to speak for Dave but from my observations, he taught them how to swim faster through controlled movements(weight shifts, spearing, kicking timing) than most of them would have dreamed possible.

While the tempo trainer aided in their transformation from sleek, smooth swimmers to sleeker, smoother, faster swimmers by helping them develop different cadences, I really believe the biggest changes came from Dave's instance on spearing to the skating position on each switch, not rushing their anchoring arm, breathing earlier, and calming the kick down.
This sounds a lot like what I'm wrestling with now. I've been drilling; trying to be smooth, well timed and well balanced. I tend to do 17 spl when I am trying to go fast, but I am tragically slow.(i.e. 15s per 100m slower than my buddy in the next lane) I got a tempo trainer last week which showed me I am doing ~1.7 seconds per stroke. Should we be "perfecting" our stroke at at a slow rate before trying to speed up? I keep thinking that reducing my drag will make each stroke less effort, thereby speeding things up. But I'd be curious to hear more details about what the swimmers in the advanced workshop did to improve speed.
Old 11-11-2009
Coach

CoachJohnB

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk-tamer View Post
But I'd be curious to hear more details about what the swimmers in the advanced workshop did to improve speed.
See, this is what the news industry calls a "tease" To get the rest of the story, you should sign-up for an advanced class soon.
Old 11-11-2009

elk-tamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJohnB View Post
See, this is what the news industry calls a "tease" To get the rest of the story, you should sign-up for an advanced class soon.
Good point. At the very least I shouldn't be asking those questions in a thread meant for the workshops. When there's a clinic near me I will be there with bells on.
Old 11-11-2009
Coach

CoachDave
Default Well...

Where would that be?
www.ywcampls.org/ti
www.ywcampls.org/otters
www.distancedave.com
Old 11-11-2009

elk-tamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachDave View Post
Where would that be?
I'm in Calgary, Alberta.
I also have a place in Point Roberts, WA. though. I may try for one of the Seattle workshops in the new year.
Old 11-17-2009
Coach

CoachDave
Default TI Advanced

Whew-
You may have noticed I took a week off of the forums. The TI Advanced stuff and a lot of workshop planning has kept me pretty busy, along with advancing a lot of my athletes through their postseason meets. Now there's a few quiet weeks before the big workshop with Terry in San Francisco, and I've got questions. As I often do in my workshops, look to your left, look to your right- these questions are NOT for those people- they're for you!

Are you interested in subscription workout in connection with TI Advanced?
What parts of your stroke do you want most analysis on- sprints, middle distance, open water, etc etc etc make some up!
If you're interested in TI Advanced, how fast is your swimming right now and how fast does it need to be how soon?
What do you feel you would most want out of this mini-clinic?

I'm always making new content and looking to add more and more, but it's no use to anyone if it's not something that interests anyone. Let me know what would help you most!
www.ywcampls.org/ti
www.ywcampls.org/otters
www.distancedave.com
Old 11-17-2009

Grant

Yes I would be interested in a subscription workout Dave. How should I get in touch with you to give the details? Is this only for people who have done the Advanced workshop? Looking forward to your answer.
Old 11-17-2009

elk-tamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachDave View Post
Are you interested in subscription workout in connection with TI Advanced?
But not separately from a TI advanced clinic? What is the subscription workout, is that different than the virtual coaching?
Old 11-17-2009

Willem

hope it comes to Europe soon!