Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2015

larryc

What a difference a day makes.

Monday night I approached my swim like it was work. And that's exactly what it felt like -- difficult, unpleasant, unrewarding work.

Last night I approached it as play -- and that's what it was. Fun play. Rewarding play. Relaxed play.

In Terry's new book he talks about balance and how to achieve it. (No balance, no swim.) I spent all of last night's swim thinking "weightless head and upper back." And it worked!

Excited.
Old 05-14-2015
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryc View Post
It took me half a year to be comfortable in the water. And another four months not to fear the deep end. And I'm still working on breathing, rotation, etc. Recovery arm still drops but is finally getting better.

I've worked with two (good) swim coaches, been active on this forum, watched countless videos and swim at least three times a week.

Each time I get out of the pool at the end of a swim practice (including just now) I'm frustrated, disappointed and exhausted. Mostly, my lack of efficiency in the water is sabotaging my swimming. (Admittedly I'm very hard on myself in everything I do, but I shouldn't be.)

Will reading Terry's "Swim Ultra-Efficient Freestyle!" help me? I sure hope so, because I just ordered it from Amazon and will begin reading it tonight.

I won't give up till my swimming is where I want it to be. I know there has to be more fun to it than this.

the process is part of the fun for me. I recently took up slacklining ... which is mostly falling off. If I were judging my enjoyment of hte sport by how efficient I was, I'd be frustrated all the time. But the process of seeing and feeling how my body changes and adjusts to the instability of walking on a 2" piece of webbing is what makes it itneresting to me.

If I were frustrated all the time with something, I'd find something else to do, or find some other way to approach it.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 05-14-2015
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryc View Post
What a difference a day makes.

Monday night I approached my swim like it was work. And that's exactly what it felt like -- difficult, unpleasant, unrewarding work.

Last night I approached it as play -- and that's what it was. Fun play. Rewarding play. Relaxed play.

In Terry's new book he talks about balance and how to achieve it. (No balance, no swim.) I spent all of last night's swim thinking "weightless head and upper back." And it worked!

Excited.
Hi Larry,

Now that sounds more like it, "rewarding play" - no more whining. The main message (from many here), the journey is far more important (and FUN!) than the destination. Enjoy and engineer your successes, both large and small.

A HUGE success and accomplishment for you is overcoming your fear of deep water. Phobia is *very* common and unfortunately what keeps many adults away from the water largely due to a terrifying experience as a child, adult, sometimes both. So raise your right arm, turn palm facing back, bend arm at the elbow, and give yourself a big pat on the back. Nice work!!

"No balance - no swim", yes sir! Balance is a skill that is learned over time and something that requires continued refinement and frequent maintenance regardless of a swimmer's skill level. Much like a foundation on a house; if the foundation is cracked, weak, not level, sinking - no matter what (skill) you tack on top, it will always be making up for the lack of a good foundation.

Enjoy your journey and rewarding play!

Stuart