Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2012

Ladyfish
Default Using video analysis of the drills

One of the items required in the application materials to become a TI coach is video from various angles (above water, underwater, front) of Skating, Spearswitch, Swingswitch and whole stroke).

In putting together my materials, of course I am thinking, "this better be good because Terry will see it". I have used video forever in my endless quest to swim like Terry and Shinji, but I must admit that I never filmed myself doing the drills.

What an eye opener! Here I am thinking I am rotated, "just enough" and when I see the video I am amazed that my upper shoulder is way out of the water- not stacked but well out. So I practice, practice, practice,skating some more and now the front of my shoulder is down, but my back/lat area is prominent, and I think geeze, now I have to work on pressing my chest down a bit...and on it goes.

This has helped me identify and correct small elements that were lost in the overall pictures of whole stroke.

This experience has been so good for my swimming that I might just start taking before and after videos of my students doing the drills rather than whole stroke! It would be an excellent way to keep them focused on each step one-at-a-time rather than hurrying through waiting to see how their whole stoke will have improved at the end.

Anyone out there using video this way?
Old 05-10-2012
Coach

CoachDavidShen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyfish View Post
One of the items required in the application materials to become a TI coach is video from various angles (above water, underwater, front) of Skating, Spearswitch, Swingswitch and whole stroke).

In putting together my materials, of course I am thinking, "this better be good because Terry will see it". I have used video forever in my endless quest to swim like Terry and Shinji, but I must admit that I never filmed myself doing the drills.

What an eye opener! Here I am thinking I am rotated, "just enough" and when I see the video I am amazed that my upper shoulder is way out of the water- not stacked but well out. So I practice, practice, practice,skating some more and now the front of my shoulder is down, but my back/lat area is prominent, and I think geeze, now I have to work on pressing my chest down a bit...and on it goes.

This has helped me identify and correct small elements that were lost in the overall pictures of whole stroke.

This experience has been so good for my swimming that I might just start taking before and after videos of my students doing the drills rather than whole stroke! It would be an excellent way to keep them focused on each step one-at-a-time rather than hurrying through waiting to see how their whole stoke will have improved at the end.

This is an awesome idea. You may even want to take the video with an iPad so that you can immediately port it into TacticsView or similar video app to show the student at the end of the drills.

The downsides are the interruptions in instruction while somebody is standing in water which can get chilly - but in theory what better way to learn than if you could see what you were doing from the bird's eye view, right before the end of the lap?
Old 05-10-2012

johnny.widen

I use video analysis on a regular basis. Both for my own swimming and drilling and for people I use to help. I really recommend it.

Thanks David for pointing out TacticsView. Do you know of any similar tool running on a Mac?
Old 05-11-2012
Coach

CoachDavidShen

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny.widen View Post
I use video analysis on a regular basis. Both for my own swimming and drilling and for people I use to help. I really recommend it.

Thanks David for pointing out TacticsView. Do you know of any similar tool running on a Mac?
RE: on the mac

yes but they are kinda ghetto meaning the interface is tough to use; they are generally mac versions of PC software. also they tend to be focused on other sports like golf and baseball where video has been used for a while to analyze swings.

i downloaded this but it was pretty hard to use:

http://www.motionprosoftware.com/Mac...s_Software.htm

tacticsview on ipad is by far the simplest tool for this purpose.
Old 05-11-2012

MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyfish View Post
I am very lucky to have a TI coach with an endless only two miles from where I live: Swim Shed

Keith videos the drills as we do them and we get a DVD at the end of each session. It's great, and it means that me and my training buddy can then help each other out in the pool afterwards.