Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2014

nurledge
Default timing of a kick

Could i say that the best time for kicking especially for 2BK, or major kick in 6bK, is when water holding or anchoring has been established? Thanks.
Old 02-03-2014

borate

I view 2B kick timing more as thrusting into the extension/streamline - a fluid movement from toe to opposite hand.
Old 02-03-2014

Talvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesCouturier View Post
.....My dryland swim waltz does a decent job at demonstrating the 6bk proper timing, as well as how it should integrate timing wise with the BR. It also proposes a fun and productive dryland exercise to work home (thus allowing you to increase your number of days working on your swimming to 7)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cS114X6fCQ

So in this clip, you see continuous BR, 2kicks per rotation for 6 in total in a cycle. However there's no notion of major kicks. There should be (not sure how I will add this though), when left shoulder reaches lowest level, right leg major kick is issued. You also see a head that turns around along with BR, but come back by itself (important for sprinters)....
This is taken from another thread (my emphasis).

fwiw on Friday I got into a tangle as I'd remembered Charles writing elsewhere that he berated his swimmers if their kick led their rotation, but when I tried delaying the kick my stroke collapsed.

I'll focus on timing to coincide with the lowest shoulder position next time (I may have been trying to correct something that was right in the first place)

The consensus of the coaches here seem to concur with borate's perception of kick being timed with spear not with u/w stroke.

The kick is often described as taking place when the hand has just entered the water ... but then that doesn't seem to me to be the lowest position of the shoulder ....

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov

Last edited by Talvi : 02-03-2014 at 08:46 AM. Reason: confusion
Old 02-03-2014

StuartK

Hi Nurledge, Talvi, I've also been playing around with the timing of my kick, my role model being Coach Mandy MacDougal.http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=FiPpiC0629Ie If you look around 1.22 the spear is just about complete before the leg fires, which is much later than I've been doing up to now, and appears to be later than Shinji http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JukMa6-V1pE It means my shoulders are flatter at the firing of the kick as per Charles. Not sure if it's an improvement at present, as I'm still having to think about it, and thinking always causes problems :) but I'll persevere and see if it will bed in.

Last edited by StuartK : 02-03-2014 at 11:50 AM. Reason: is, appears to be,
Old 02-04-2014

Talvi

I used to play rugby (drop kicking etc) and I wonder, looking at that clip, if the point to focus on is not when the kick fires but when it completes ... i.e (bar a bit of follow-through) when the spear becomes fully extended. I find it more intiuitive to feel the "moment" of the kick as the moment when the thing being kicked is kicked rather than any of the previous stages to that. If you get my drift...

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 02-05-2014

StuartK

yes, I like the thought - puts me back where I was! I'll try it out, away for a week I'll let you know when I'm back in the pool.