Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Links and References
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2011

rbs24h

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorner View Post
I am hoping to complete my first tri this comming June (750m swim, 25k bike 3.3 k run).with the method, I'll be in the pool 5 times a week so am hoping to make a contribution to this forum soon.
Congratulations! Please try to take video. Would love to see the improvements and you will too! Good luck and also, double check the run distance. May be a 5K. I just did a race that the run was measured incorrectly. It is tough to pace for one distance and have to run further.
Enjoy
Old 12-29-2011

johnny.widen
Default How to direct people while waiting for the Insanely Great Web Site?

Every now and then I talk to people about swimming, during coffee breaks, at dinner conversions, etc. They often show interest and want know more because they have had a dream to be able to swim crawl. In Sweden, breaststroke is what they learn in swim schools. In the pool people often asks about the way I swim.
This is what I use to mail them
Hi!

Here you can see some information about Total Immersion Swimming:

An inspiring performance by Shinji
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJpFVvho0o4

Listen to Terry Laughlin and be persuaded when he talks about Total Immersion Perpetual Motion Freestyle
Part 1 is on
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97b6XIntfcc
there you can also find part 2-6.

Some more to watch
- This difference can be accomplished in 6 months
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4Kv4Lfw6VI

- Shinji swims one length by 9 strokes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4InLAsnmKhY

- The speed is increased resulting in 12 strokes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHHOxBSeoFk

The main site is
http://www.totalimmersion.net/

-- Johnny

In the future I hope that it should be enough to just send them to http://www.totalimmersion.net/

In the coming months while the web site is constructed I would be happy to send them this link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_Immersion

However, that is not yet possible as I stated in a previous post.
Old 01-02-2012

andyinnorway
Default Forum Top 5 or Die

I have noticed that forum topics often go dead as soon as they have dropped out of the top 5.

I know I tend to look through the 5 on the left and then close down unless there was a particularly interesting topic I was following.

Sometimes great topics do not always get the discussion they merit because they can get bumped by new posts?
Old 01-23-2012

andyinnorway

Terry,

just watched this trailer for windows 8, which seems to be a big catch up with Apple effort.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42uK5ipKVp8

As you progress with new website I would bear in mind that touch led browsing as opposed to keyboard/mouse browsing will probably change at 10% a year.

Looks very much the direction that microsoft are heading in from this clip

Design your site for the IPAD and the world will be there in a year anyway.
Old 01-27-2012

ALMD

Terry

I think , videos of TI students should be displayed as well, besides your and Shinji Videos...You and Shinji are the elite masters when it comes to TI, and you have mastered this after years of hard work and focused practice. For me as a beginner , I know , I am not going to achieve this level in few months but maybe years of practice ...I truly think that videos of students who managed to perform TI well should also be displayed, so that beginners realize there are many others who can and did manage to master TI basics, and swim well, not just you and Shinji , as most of the videos are showing .

My other suggestion, when one comes to the website...maybe in the home or learn it section, a brief description of TI, and what are the main components..e'g balance, streamline, effortless propulsion etc... and provide brief information about each concept which is easily accessible to viewers when they visit the website...it should be evident to them without having to go to " free stuff" and find some information....and why is TI is a valid alternative , or a choice for someone who was or has been struggling with swimming...

I think a lot more people have become aware of TI, and what it has to provide, but it can be further publicized , so that more and more people will learn and benefit from TI.

The feelings that engulf our souls when we swim, I think , should translate to the TI web site ....it should show our passion for TI...

When I go to the swimming pool, and see how other swimmers splashing, and fighting the water, with their heads up, and their extremities moving in all directions, and how tired and exhausted at the end of the pool...and thinking how TI transformed the way I swim...neat and quiet, clean entry and gliding so quietly through the water..I do feel so proud, joyful, and very confident what I learn from TI is the best there is, and when I swim...I will do the best performance in water ...

I think, this should be exuding from the TI website...that we just don't swim like anybody else...we swim the best way, the water is our friend and our enjoyment ,we understand the water and the water understands what we do, we don't fight it, we swim with it..., better than anybody else...that's who we are...the TI group....

thank you
Old 01-29-2012

rbs24h

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMD View Post

The feelings that engulf our souls when we swim, I think , should translate to the TI web site ....it should show our passion for TI...

I think, this should be exuding from the TI website...
Amen. Without this, there is a risk of being seen as just another swim instruction website. Effortless, peaceful, quiet, zen, movements, flow etc. all should be accentuated. To experience these on land is one thing. To immerse yourselves in them in the water is quite another.
Old 01-31-2012

scubamatt

I think there should be a clearly marked section for absolute beginners. Nearly everything in the forums and on the website appears to be aimed at the experienced/confident swimmer, and I think that there is a much larger audience available to you in the novice (or even non-swimmer) category. I am one of those novice/almost a non-swimmer people.

I came to TI because of a reference from Tim Ferris in his book "The 4 Hour Body". In it, he said he was a terrible swimmer, just barely able to get across the pool, and absolutely terrified of drowning. He hated swimming, but was goaded into trying to learn to swim by a friend. After lots of failure, he was told about TI by another friend, and within a very short period of time he learned to swim safely, and then to enjoy swimming. I bought Tim's book because of the chapter on TI. I bought the TI book and 2 DVDs because of Tim's recommendations about TI, and his success story. Yesterday I joined a local health club, because they have an actual lap pool. The only reason to join that club (over the Gold's Gym a half mile from my house) is to be able to practice TI swimming.

Unfortunately, this website does not really offer clear, easy to find/read help for the absolute beginner. I'm forced to rely on the book/DVDs, and I read the TI forums mostly as an exercise in 'someday I'll be able to do the things everyone in here is discussing'. There isn't even a category for me in the forums. It would be good to see something like "New Swimmer? Start Here!" or "Ready to learn how to swim? Start here!" as a topic area, with little video clips showing the basics for a day one swimmer.

I think the TI system is going to help me learn to swim (and more importantly swim with confidence), in fact I took a leap of faith when I bought the book/DVDs/club membership - but the website really doesn't help me much as a total beginner.
Old 01-31-2012

westyswoods
Default Novice Swimmer

Scubamatt,

Your suggestion for an absolute beginners section may in fact be a good one. To your point of the forum being more for the advanced swimmer, I have to disagree.

The forum and threads which appear are dictated by the participants. It does seem as some of the most recent discussion is anything but helpful to a beginner.

The other side of the coin is history, has shown an unwavering dedication and comittment by all participants to help newcomers. You just need to put the question out there and you'll be surprised at the response. If and when you don't even know what to ask, do the best you can and we'll figure it out.

Another option is to do subject searches within the search section at top of this page.

Thanks for the suggestion and welcome to the site. Most of all welcome to TI it is a different approach to swimming.

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy
Old 01-31-2012

rbs24h

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubamatt View Post

Unfortunately, this website does not really offer clear, easy to find/read help for the absolute beginner. I'm forced to rely on the book/DVDs, and I read the TI forums mostly as an exercise in 'someday I'll be able to do the things everyone in here is discussing'. There isn't even a category for me in the forums. It would be good to see something like "New Swimmer? Start Here!" or "Ready to learn how to swim? Start here!" as a topic area, with little video clips showing the basics for a day one swimmer.

I think the TI system is going to help me learn to swim (and more importantly swim with confidence), in fact I took a leap of faith when I bought the book/DVDs/club membership - but the website really doesn't help me much as a total beginner.
First, welcome. You are right in the thinking that TI will help you become a confident swimmer. In fact, I am certain you have everything you need to start your journey to being a confident swimmer, and then some. I know if I had written a wish list of what I wanted to get out of TI in the first year, I would have sold myself short compared to what I have actually experienced.

Forums:
One of the first drills, Superman Glide, helps to build a foundation of balance in the water. And just last week, I believe, there was multiple posts on the Freestyle Forum specifically about Superman Glide. So "jump in" (npi) and get started.

Because TI has a unique approach, and not just in the physical sense, even people that knew how to swim, were TI "Beginners" at one point, so we all have been there. Again, welcome and enjoy your journey. You may be pleasantly surprised, as I am, to find out where it actually ends up taking you.
Old 01-31-2012

ALMD

Scubamatt

I was in your shoes back in Nov 2011, as I was so scared to even imagine to go to a swimming pool voluntarily...unless I got dragged !! :) the smell of chlorine in the pools was sickening me, as it used to bring immediate sense of fear and flight reaction ...then as my children started to take swimming lessons, it dawned on me, that's the only thing that I wanted to do, but always find reasons not to pursue it, even though I wanted to do it...

I read as much as I can read about learning to swim..and I came across so many things and researched things , until I came across the TI website, and started reading and looking at their material and DVDs...then I knew,I have to learn swimming the TI way..

and joined a local TI coach, and after few lessons, I am doing all the drills, balance, skating, switches...and now I am doing complete stroke, but still have trouble going further down the pool without getting out of breath...and I know, that's something that I will conquer hopefully soon...

Few months ago, I wouldnt say, it was at all comfortable being in the pool, as I tried to take some lessons before TI, but it did nothing to alleviate my anxiety in the water...I feel much more comfortable and confident in the water now..and smile when I remember when I was shaking like a leaf in the water before I started TI...as you get to learn balance well, that will help to resolve much of fear that hid inside us for all that long..the only thing I regret, I didnt come across TI way before now, I would have enjoyed swimming more..

I moved from dreading going to the swimming pool, to looking forward and truly enjoying being in the water...truth be told, I don't think, I could said this about the traditional way of learning, because the traditional method didnt work for me...TI did work...

I am no longer afraid of being in the water as I was just 3 months ago..and am looking to perfect the breathing ..and as my fear from water disappears, I am looking to start taking a course in diving !! something that I would have never thought would be possible for me ...TI made it possible to get over water phobia ..

Learning any skill is not easy, especially starting as an adult, but it isn't impossible..TI makes it understandable and helped me understand why we do this or that drill, rather than just do drills which doesn't make sense ..