Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2011

rcrawford2@verizon.net
Default "FinFlappinFlounder" Here

Hi all,

Just a quick nervous post. I am swimming the "Steelman" OWS this Sunday at Lake Nockamixon, PA. I am doing the coed relay, where the 3 of us are swimming one mile each for a total of 3 miles.

I swam my first, uninterrupted mile in a 25 yd pool on Saturday, 72 laps, I've been building up to it. The first 8-16 laps I get this incredible, claustrophobic, feeling of not being able to finish, lack of O2, form deterioration, why am I doing this? etc. Then, around lap 30, for some reason, I start to relax and get a second wind, for lack of a better term. Then I finish in around 34 minutes, Which for me is not too bad. Should I warm up for a while, and what should that routine be?

However, breathing is still a problem, so when I'm swimming this kind of distance, my thoughts always revert, get sidetracked, to my "stroke efficiency", or lack of, and I stop exhaling slightly thru my nose as I worry about my right foot "micro conniptions" or my, "wide spears", fishtailing, or head and chest "pressing down on the water to stay "streamlined".

I guess I've answered my own question, first, focus on breathing, 2nd, I've heard Terry say above all, keep your patient hand extended, anything else? Work on the "conniptions"(I love this term) later, however it is hard to get TI drills out of my head, especially when I swim longer distances. I guess it is just mental concentration and focus.

Oh, I've also worked on my OWS sighting, and Nokamixon is a beautiful clear lake. In last year's triathlon, I could actually see 10 feet in front of me under water. It was a great uncluttered swim!

We are swimming, "au naturel", no wet suits.

Thanks for any last minute tips.

Rich
Old 07-06-2011

blaggard

When I get those feelings it's always a result of too much thinking.

You know you can do the mile (you're definiely faster than me!), so just sight, relax, swim, sight, relax, swim. Notice the bubbles streaming between your toes, notice the thickness of the water against your forearms, smile, sight, relax, swim...rinse and repeat.

Relax. Don't think about your stroke. Just swim.

Think of it as like dancing.

You've done all the drills. You've practised all the techniques. You are now on the dance floor and the music is gently starting up. Don't think about the techniques, just smile, feel the rhythm and relax. Just dance.

Just swim.

B
Old 07-07-2011

CoachKris

I would disagree, over-thinking and mindless swimming are two extremes that, in my opinion, are both harmful. Pick up one focal point and stick to it, that will do the trick.

The feeling of not being able to finish that you are describing is most likely caused by switching between different from anaerobic to aerobic energy system as they both use different type of 'fuel' (if you want I can get more into it but most of the people find physiology boring). You can experience very same thing in running. In any long distance sport discipline first 20 minutes are the worst, at least until you hit the wall but that doesn't concern you as you won't be performing for that long ;-P
Old 07-07-2011

rcrawford2@verizon.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKris View Post
The feeling of not being able to finish that you are describing is most likely caused by switching between different from anaerobic to aerobic energy system as they both use different type of 'fuel' (if you want I can get more into it but most of the people find physiology boring). -P
I'm an ex sub 3 hour marathon runner so I know about aerobic. Do you think it would help to me warm up by swimming a certain routine? Yes, I would like more details on anaerobic switching over to aerobic.

Thanks so much for your response, Rich

Yes, one focal point, maybe 2, bubble from my nose and patient extended lead hand on a wide track.
Old 07-08-2011

blaggard
Default Meditation & enjoyment = harmful, mindless swimming?

I think many millions world-wide would be surprised to hear the meditative state described as mindless. It actually incredibly mindful, but mindful about noticing, without controlling.

If you find that focussing on one or more focal points work for you, embrace and enjoy that experience. But there also seems to be a considerable number of TI followers on the forums that find concentrating too much on focal points becomes self-critical and disruptive to breathing & rhythm in what was only moments prior a flowing, enjoyable experience of effortless swimming...

Do you consider yourself more likely to fail to complete a mile OW because your stroke was not good enough TI form or because you struggle to breath, lose your rhythm and become self-doubting as monkey brain sets in?

For anyone amongst the latter they should give themselves permission to occasionally try just smiling and enjoying the experience the way Terry describes in his channel swim relay - without feeling that they're going to be criticised for it.

For me, every occasion when I felt the joy of the effortless flow of swimming has been when I'm not focussing on my stroke. This flow is virtually always broken when I start to think about my stroke.

Try a bit of each. Whatever works for you. Different strokes and all that....

Enjoy & Good luck!

B