Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2011

Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by borate View Post
This may prove helpful.
Thanks Borate. I tried the first maneuver of changing .vob to .mpg but that didnt work. Got lost in the second step so am going to find a local expert to give assistance.
Appreciate your effort.
Old 02-06-2011

borate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Got lost in the second step so am going to find a local expert to give assistance
You need a DVD ripper. Some are free. More info here. Of course there are many commercial packages as well.
Old 02-06-2011

Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by borate View Post
You need a DVD ripper. Some are free. More info here. Of course there are many commercial packages as well.
Not wanting to hijack the thread I looked to see if you took emails and found you did not so will ask another quick question. If you wish you could email me.
question. I downloaded Prism Video File converter and ran the conversion. Resulted in the video running for about 5 seconds then freezing while it continued to load, but would not resume even after the dial was all the way over to the right. Is this a matter of resolution (which I cant find a way to reduce) or some other control?
Once again a sheepish thanks.
Old 02-06-2011

drmike

Suzanne,

Not too shabby. What two focal points or tricks were most useful to you in shaking the crossover habit?

Mike M.
Old 02-06-2011
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmike View Post
Suzanne,

Not too shabby. What two focal points or tricks were most useful to you in shaking the crossover habit?

Mike M.

It was a single touch from coach Davonna Eubanks at my weekend workshop in Cincinnati last year, although I didn't realize it at the time. That's the amazing thing about TI...it's not about "correcting crossover", it's about imprinting proper body position & timing...everything fixes itself.

This is a reply I made to the same question over on the "other forum" (beginner triathlete). It's directed to a non-TI audience, but I don't have time to edit right now...big Football game coming up soon. :)

==============

OK, I'll try to touch on each of these. The total program, was of course, Total Immersion. I took the weekend workshop with coaches Dave Cameron and Davonna Eubanks. But the after video is 3 months after that, which also include 2 week long sessions of additional coaching with Total Immersion...so I can't say enough about the coaches and what I've learned.

But I'm sure you want some specifics, so these were my AHA moments that took place during those months:

The first thing was correcting crossover. Although at the time I dind't realize that's what I was correcting. Here's what fixed it though, along with a host of other problems: Skating drill with the extended arm in the proper position. I did not know what the proper position was until Davonna took my wrist and physically moved it out from in front of my head to a position just barely wide of my shoulder. I thought it was there, but it wasn't. All it took was that single touch from her to realize the incorrect position I'd been in all those years. So I practiced lots and lots of skating & spear switching using that wrist position as my target. If you check the thread recently called "correcting crossover", I posted a dryland exercise you can try to feel the same position fi you don't have a coach. But it should be easy enough for a buddy or observer on deck to tell you if you are int he correct position.

Developing the High elbow was a combination of things I learned, probably in this order:
a) There exists a side to side balance while swimming...as the recovery arm comes forward the weight of that arm acts to destabilize your rotated position in the water. EG...you are skating on your left hip & armit with left arm shoulder width wide. yoru right arm has just exited the water and begins its recovery leading with the elbow. as that arm goes from being underwtaer, to swinging forward, your center of gravity begins to shift to the right...go with it, and let gravity pull you into the right sided skating position, extending the right arm.

b) The two beat kick accentuates that body roll that the pull of gravity initiates. Gettting for example, my left foot to downbeat as my right arm recovered and falls into the water in extention brings your entire core into the rotation of your body in the water.

c) Finally, after getting the above two things to synch well in a stroke that was rotating easily from right skate to left skate, Dave Cameron let me in on his little secret...the "Forearm Flop". it's really hard to describe, but what you are watching when I swim is not a pull, it's not reaching over the barrel, it's not trying to keep a "high elbow"...it's my body "rolling under" my upper arm as I let the forearm "flop" into a vertical position. The body roll and the forearm flop are intricately tied to one another, and when you've got it right, there's zero chance of dropping yoru elbow, there is no stress on your shoulders and it takes very little muscular strength). It's all just coordination.

So i realize taht's a lot more info than "what drills helped you", but those were the turning point moments for me. A drill by itself doesn't help you unless you know what the flaw is that you want to fix, and know how to correctly perform the drill to fix the flaw. E.g. the first few times they had us to do "skate" in the clinic, I was doing it wrong...it was that one touch by Davonna that LITERALLY changed my stroke. I knew it right at that moment that the investment I'd made in travel, hotel, getting lost, paying extra turnpike tolls, and finally the weekend workshop fee was worthwhile. years of reading and swimmign on my own had never given me that connection...but a coach's hands on touch finally did it for me.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 02-07-2011

rcrawford2@verizon.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
c) Dave Cameron let me in on his little secret...the "Forearm Flop". it's really hard to describe, but what you are watching when I swim is not a pull, it's not reaching over the barrel, it's not trying to keep a "high elbow"...it's my body "rolling under" my upper arm as I let the forearm "flop" into a vertical position. The body roll and the forearm flop are intricately tied to one another, and when you've got it right, there's zero chance of dropping yoru elbow, there is no stress on your shoulders and it takes very little muscular strength). It's all just coordination.
Hi Suzanne,

Sorry if I don't quite get it, I could use some more words to describe this picture, I take it is during the "crossover"? Is the "forearm flop" occurring at the end of recovery, and the dangling, rag doll entry into the water, or are you talking about the angle of the forearm just before, or during the pull?

Thanks, Rich

Last edited by rcrawford2@verizon.net : 02-07-2011 at 03:05 AM.
Old 02-07-2011
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrawford2@verizon.net View Post
Hi Suzanne,

Sorry if I don't quite get it, I could use some more words to describe this picture, I take it is during the "crossover"? Is the "forearm flop" occurring at the end of recovery, and the dangling, rag doll entry into the water, or are you talking about the angle of the forearm just before, or during the pull?

Thanks, Rich
Rich Forearm flop has nothing to do with crossover...except that if you are crossing over you won't be able to do it. The flop occurs just after the catch as you are entering the recovery arm into the water and beginning your body roll to the otehr side, the arm that is extended and in the early catch position "flops" down so the elbow is still extended forward and the wrist 'dangling' down toward the bottom fo the pool. The flop is easier to feel by trying it on dry land, but the motion is the same when you are in the water.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 02-07-2011

haschu33

*sorry for the OT *

Grant,
I simply copy the entire content of the DVD on the PC (XP/Windows 7) using the explorer, then I open the VLC player (can be downloaded for free) and use media/'open folder' and choose the 'VIDEO_TS' folder of the copied DVD from the disc. VLC then plays it as it it was a DVD. No ripping necessary. With the VLC you can slow down or speed up the playback speed with the '-' and '+' keys.

May you enjoy your video at the speed you choose
Old 02-07-2011

jeetkevdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by haschu33 View Post
*sorry for the OT *

May you enjoy your video at the speed you choose
I see what you did there. :)
Old 02-07-2011

Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by haschu33 View Post
*sorry for the OT *

Grant,
I simply copy the entire content of the DVD on the PC (XP/Windows 7) using the explorer, then I open the VLC player (can be downloaded for free) and use media/'open folder' and choose the 'VIDEO_TS' folder of the copied DVD from the disc. VLC then plays it as it it was a DVD. No ripping necessary. With the VLC you can slow down or speed up the playback speed with the '-' and '+' keys.
Thanks I will try that.
May you enjoy your video at the speed you choose :o) :o)
May we swim with ease.